Love/Hate list of your 370z

Alpinaman

What do you love/hate about your 370z ?

Love....

Looks....Stunner...Definitely a "look back" car....

Suspension and brakes are very good for a standard car..

Wheels...Rays 19" are mega.... One of the only cars i havent wanted to change them.

Insurance is cheap

Goes very well when asked.

Hate..

Cabin noise

No rake on steering wheel

VED rate...

Exhaust should be better from OEM...

Hate would be too strong a word for me as there is nothing I truly hate.Getting used to the auto box now which I wasn't too keen on but that was my fault for not pickn a manual. I am also getting used to road noise.

I am always complimented on how it looks and I rarely see another.I find at night the reverse camera not that clear and would have preferred reverse sensors but that's my main gripe.

Yea...

Hate is strong......

Maybe like/dislike...?

Tunes are good enough..........Just..

Dont like that after button off,the car is dead..... so of window is down or mirrors out then you have to go through the motions to fire everything up again..

It's not fast enough standard partly because it doesn't even make the claimed power. But I have come from a supercharged type R to an Uprev 370z, both the same BHP but the type R is much faster. I don't think it's so much of an issue in 09, but right now, the 328bhp in the heavy car is a bit slow and behind. Even a genuine 350-360 bhp would have made a big difference if possible within tolerances of the engine/emission etc. I don't mind the road noise but I notice it easily. And I have the GT Edition which I'm told has rectified this slightly? Stock exhaust too quiet. Gearchanges are good because of synchro rev but reverse engagement isn't natural for me (pressing down). The type R gearbox was much smoother but I still prefer the 370z overall.

Perhaps the front end is too basic, 2015 nismo got it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also insurance is not necessarily cheap. I am 29 years old and some insurers would not even in sure me because it's RWD. Others required me to have been driving the car for at least 1 year first.

I paid around £430 for a 340bhp civic type R but for the 370z, slightly newer and higher value it was around double this minimum over £800. I'm 29 and a sports car is considered high risk for be with 8 years NCB. Ok it's not maximum but seriously, must we be OAPs to insure and enjoy a sports car lol ?

Ooosh

I paid £231 for the Z for me and missus..

Fully comp...11 yrs NCB, no points, decent postcode..

47, so yea....OAP

I'm not saying you're an OAP mate but just because it's cheap for you, I would not say it's necessarily cheap for everyone! I'm 29 which I figured was old enough to stop being considered a very high risk to certain cars, I did not expect £800 to be the very cheapest I could find, my post code is good too. I don't believe the 370z is in a low insurance group, they know it's RWD and a young mans dream car so they try to prevent youngsters owning them. Granted, low 20s is high risk but I figured mid 20s to 30 might be a bit better. There must be plenty younger than me on here. However I hope, after my 1 years experience with this car the premiums will come down. My excess is very high too

I really do love my 370z! So I'll have to be picky!

Love:

• Looks - When you have kids stopping in the street and cheering you, and also giving passenger rides (Being requested to do it) to friends/family you know it's good :D (Ha!)
  • Effortless Power. I came from a Fiesta ST which meant you were ragging the thing to get any power, this seems so effortless but also means you've got to be careful
  • Sat Nav telling me there's a speed camera coming up ha :)!
  • Heated Front Windowscreen
  • Heated Seat doesn't burn you, actually stays at a nice temperature!
  • Cheaper on Insurance than expected

Hate:

• Rear Heated Windowscreen is pretty bad in comparison to the front!
  • Stock tyres seem awful, changing them to MPSS which according to the majority of people improve the car substantially :)!
  • Long Bonnet (This is being very picky) - Only because around where I live there's large bushes at every junction and junctions are tight so you've got to edge pretty far out to be able to see!
  • VED

To be fair I find the 370z fairly cheap to insure! My Fiesta ST Mk6.5 was £600 and my 370z is £738 and I'm 26.

Great car though! Really is one of my dream cars (GT Academy helped me with at least driving them prior to ownership) so I'm really, really happy :D!

Love:

This forum and the local groups

The exclusivity

The shape

The colour

The sound (Ark Grip)

The interior (I know it is marmite on here but coming from a succession of Porsches I think it is a nice place to be. And I drive all the way down to Southern Spain)

The car's characteristics (reminds me of when sports cars went from hairy chested driving machines i.e. TR6s to the less than enthralling TR7)

The auto flappy paddle box (sooo glad we went auto it just suits the engine)

Rev matching

The response the car gets (everyone just wants to look at the car and says so nice to see something unusual, rather than the hordes of Boxsters seen on the roads)

Dislikes:

VED

Worry over iffy oil gallery gaskets when the warranty runs out

No rake on steering wheel

No rear parking sensors

Standard tyres, cannot wait to get some MPSS on

Its propensity to pick up any stone chip it can (worse than any car I have ever owned)

That this year she is tucked up in a Carcoon for the winter

Edited by JurassicZ

Heated front windscreen?

I am not aware that any have a heated front windscreen???

There is a button for front screen next to the button for rear screen demist but this just puts heater blower to full, aircon on and directs all air flow to screen

Heated front windscreen?

I am not aware that any have a heated front windscreen???

There is a button for front screen next to the button for rear screen demist but this just puts heater blower to full, aircon on and directs all air flow to screen

Sorry meant that, it's bloody brilliant :)

edit: Especially brilliant compared to a lot of cars I've owned!

Edited by Tidgney

It's not fast enough standard partly because it doesn't even make the claimed power. But I have come from a supercharged type R to an Uprev 370z, both the same BHP but the type R is much faster. I don't think it's so much of an issue in 09, but right now, the 328bhp in the heavy car is a bit slow and behind. Even a genuine 350-360 bhp would have made a big difference if possible within tolerances of the engine/emission etc. I don't mind the road noise but I notice it easily. And I have the GT Edition which I'm told has rectified this slightly? Stock exhaust too quiet. Gearchanges are good because of synchro rev but reverse engagement isn't natural for me (pressing down). The type R gearbox was much smoother but I still prefer the 370z overall.

What do you mean it doesn't make claimed power? This isn't something i've heard before, although I don't frequent the '70 section too often, but the '50 was acclaimed for being one of the few cars that actually meet or exceed the claimed bhp.

Also, your Type R was faster because it weighed quite a bit less, plus oodles of torque from the S/C :)

Edited by KyleR

What do you mean it doesn't make claimed power? This isn't something i've heard before, although I don't frequent the '70 section too often, but the '50 was claimed for being one of the few cars that actually meet or exceed the claimed bhp.

Depends on the dyno you use , my GT Edition made 309hp with a catback , intake pipes , K&N filters and a remap on the Dyno Dynamics at H-Dev ! I never dynoed it totally stock

Thats a lowly 250hp at the wheels

img032_zpszgov1rmk.jpg

I like that it`s purpose made and not just a common or garden hatchback with a fast engine but dislike that they're now just about as fast.

I like that for the very high insurance group it`s in, it`s still really cheap for me to insure but dislike that the VED costs £45 each and every month.

I like that it`s got a big powerful engine but dislike that it doesn`t really feel that big and powerful when you stick your foot down at 50 in 6th, on the motorway, coming out of the road works and everyone else easily keeps up with you.

I don`t like that the gearbox on the wife's Mokka is much nicer and smoother and easier to use, or, that going anywhere in that cost us less than half as much in fuel but I do like that mine`s done a lot less mileage because we use that more often.

But most of all I like that I now own one after always drooling over them in the past year after year.

Edited by Wayne370Z

I like that it`s got a big powerful engine but dislike that it doesn`t really feel that big and powerful when you stick your foot down at 50 in 6th, on the motorway, coming out of the road works and everyone else easily keeps up with you.

Drop it into 4th at that speed :thumbs:

• Like 1

What do you mean it doesn't make claimed power? This isn't something i've heard before, although I don't frequent the '70 section too often, but the '50 was claimed for being one of the few cars that actually meet or exceed the claimed bhp.

Also, your Type R was faster because it weighed quite a bit less, plus oodles of torque from the S/C :)

I've only been on here a short while but it quickly became evident that the 370z, and maybe 350s don't make their claimed power from stock. And I don't mean just 2-3 BHP but in excess of 10bhp. All the tuners will tell you the same and it just means the car isn't as powerful as it should be.

My supercharged FN2 is faster mainly because it's over 150kg-200kg lighter but also the shorter gearing means at the same speed my Type R was at around 1000rpm higher and thus making more power. Throttle response and gear changing was also superior, it climbs through the RPMs to the 8600 redline faster than the 370z. However, even with the supercharger my type R makes less peak torque and less lower down than a stock 370z. Even considering my 370z has Fast intentions CBE and HFC Abbey uprev remapped to 340-345 bhp, the charges civic was still faster. At 4000rpm or so, I can tell the 370z has more torque and is pulling harder, but because of the above factors, it is still slower than my civic throughout the revs driving hard as the civic dyno was so linear and free revving.

That said I totally enjoy the 370z overall it's a far superior car except for the performance and it still pulls very well comparitively speaking. I am so glad I bought mine already mapped with extra performance or I think I'd have been very disappointed with a stock car. it simply would have been so much slower than my civic which at 340bhp, on paper should only be 12 bhp quicker than a stock 370Z (plus heavier and the other factors mentioned). The BHP/tonne would have been far less and I would have been very disappointed.

To others not coming from quicker cars they may not have noticed and might have been more than satisfied with the power, even being significantly less than the claimed. Its not the only car to make less than claimed out of the factory, the old Focus RS were well known to be sometimes 30bhp down on power! The Honda S2000 was another, yet the type RS often make 10-15bhp more than claimed. Personally I think manufacturers making sports cars that are undeniably making significantly less than claimed, should be held accountable if the margin is too great. With competition so tight these days we do make our decisions based on performance, 0-60 and BHP etc so it's not fair that we should be misled. Within reason of course, I don't think 5bhp is s big deal or should do of course know that all dynos are different, yet the claims I've been making are well known, backed up by hundreds of owners and tuners. Usually the community knows which dynos tend to over read or under read, it's not just guesswork. It's a fact that certain cars do not make near their claimed power.

Moving on, to the the guy saying it feels slow at 50mph in 6th, I do somewhat agree with you, and as said my Z is remapped to 340-345bhp with CBE & HFC installed by the previous owner. This combo is s bit loud for me and I get another remap with the exhaust parts I want, and a Stillen G3 I hope to gain 15-20bhp more with an ECUtek remap and this will improve midrange even further.

I used to have an NA type R, 2.0ltr 245bhp. Compared to this, the 3.7 V6 makes loads of low down torque. But some modern diesels on the road & motorway are making more torque than us from as low as 1500rpm, even if they are ultimately slower than us. In the situation you described we could easily be out accelerated if we choose not to down shift. So I think if you want the car to be quicker then you need to change your driving style a bit. In my old NA type R you had to keep it in the powerband all the time to get anyway, this means over 5k rpm, and even then it wasn't great.

So I would suggest if you're in 6th at 50mph, I personally think this is just about ok if you're not in a rush, but if you went to 40mph in 6th then you're labouring the engine. If you wanted to accelerate faster from 50mph then I'd suggest down shifting to 5th to get a bit more power, of even 4th to bring the revs even higher. Drop to 3rd and you're really going to shift, and this is a bit OTT if you're just trying to cruise and not race anyone but you see my point. The car still makes more power at higher rpm so unless you're trying to drive at maximum mpg returns it might be worth down shifting, which I find very smooth and entertaining with synchro rev! For me there's nothing more fun than going from 6th to 3rd and accelerating up to 100mph or so. That does not match the pace of my type R but I'm hoping after some more upgrades and the ECUtek remap it will. In this weather 1st gear launches are not going to work unless it's absolutely dry and you can get heat on the tyres.

• Like 2