Putting her by for the winter

zebedy

Well this year I am fortunate enough that I'm able to put my zed away over the winter months. As this is the first time that I've ever done this, are there any tips you suggest I do or carry out to make sure that when I wake her up late spring that she's in top notch and ready to go.

thanks

Dont leave the handbrake on leave it in gear, I always take the battery out and bring indoors and store on carpet or wood others may suggest a trickle charger of some sort, other than that I just leave it :lol: I check on it every now and then and generally have a procedure check when it comes back on road afterwards to make sure its not fubered itself while I left it.

Im sure many will chime in soon on some other suggestions

Edited by jumping350

Well this year I am unfortunate enough that I'm not able to drive my zed over the winter months.

fixed that for you ;) put some winter tyres and have at it! its a modern Japanese car, not a million pound Ferrari from the 1960s. It'll be fine!

I'm with Brillo on this. Unless you have a better car than the Zed to drive over winter, then drive the Zed. Never seen the point of driving a worse car for a few months... unless you are actually snowed in for 4 months. You may also do more harm than good as regular usage seems to prevent stuff from breaking / seizing. Leaving your pride and joy to rot for 4 months may actually be worse for it that a bit of salt spray and rain?

• Like 1

It's like living in your shed when you've got a perfectly good house to sleep in. Why spend all that money and then not use it for part of the year just because it's a bit cold?

I might not use my car as often, but that's purely because I have less stuff planned. I'd never tuck her away in a state that meant I couldn't just grab the keys and go for a morning blat on a cold Sunday morning :)

• Like 1

PS. apologies for derailing the thread!

personally, I think i'd overinflate the tyres so they don't get any flat spots, brim the tank and then leave it in gear and disconnect the battery. then when you're ready to go again, just reconnect the battery and off you go.

I stood my mx5 up a few years ago, sat in a garage for 3 months over winter. Didn't actually do any prep at all, when I came back to it it fired up straight away right as rain. (apart from a flat tyre which I knew i'd have to pump up again)

theres a few of us this Sunday Steve at cross hands. Who knows what could happen. :-)

I have a new Mokka (dont mokk) see what I did !!! Its a company car so I didnt want to run two insurances. Unless A Flux and do an additional car onto my existing policy?? anyone know?

• Like 1

theres a few of us this Sunday Steve at cross hands. Who knows what could happen. :-)

I have a new Mokka (dont mokk) see what I did !!! Its a company car so I didnt want to run two insurances. Unless A Flux and do an additional car onto my existing policy?? anyone know?

Like the last meet Yea Yea.

I like welsh cakes.

• Like 1

I am with the rest, but if you insist, buy a trickle charger and thats all you need to worry about imho :)

Agree with this. A friend of mine runs a high end car storage company, he will never disconnect a battery for long term storage. Modern ECUs don't really like it, better to leave on a battery conditioner.