Time for a change?

nowhereboy

It's time for my twice annual "shall I get rid of the Z" thread.

Current situation, I feel like the car is starting to show it's age. It's nothing serious and it could be sorted, I'm just at a point where I feel a little bit tired of putting money into it.

I have a little rust bubbling and paint flaking on the front passenger side arch which is now noticeable, it has a little rust that's not visible (yet) on the drivers side wheel arch. Both rear arches have been rolled and a very small amount of rust is showing under each lip where it's been rolled back. I'm also running a tarmac front splitter that has been DIY fitted, it fit's well but it could do with being fitted and paint by a body shop etc. Aside from this the car also has the usual stone chipped front bumper etc. I feel like the whole car would benefit from a re spray or wrap, it cleans up well but on the whole I feel like it's starting to look it's age. The millage is also creeping up and I'm approaching 90k.

Mechanically the car is good, exedy clutch, light flywheel, brand new tyres all round and recent service/break pads etc. It's running all the usual mods that most would do to a Z, suspension, rotas etc.

I'm at a point where I feel a little bit fed up with owning an older car, I've had the Z for four years now and have put a lot of money into it in that time, the majority of my driving is spent sitting in traffic jams for two hours a day heading into and out of the city center and it's hard not to start questioning if it's worth it, I'm spending a small fortune on petrol each month which isn't helping. I feel it's time to move on, It's just very hard because I've become really attached to the car.

I'm finding myself looking at more modern hot hatches at the minute, something like the focus or fiesta ST, I drove the little fiesta not long ago and was really impressed. It doesn't have the straight line power of the Z but it has an element of fun that I would never expect in a front wheel drive car. It's also cheap as chips to insure, does 40 + MPG has a nice fresh modern interior and is just generally a more modern and comfortable package all round. Downside is that they are EVERYWHERE and really common and don't have the same presence and character on the road that the Z has.

Been driving myself mental thinking about what to do over the last few days. It's worth a mention that I have a mate who is quite high up in ford and can get me a cracking deal on new/used ST's. The RS has also been considered but I think financially that really defeats the point.

Obviously I have to make my own decision, it's just good to get other peoples opinions etc.

well, I swapped in my zed a while back because it was getting old and rusty, and i'd had it for three years and fancied a change, so you can probably guess my position!

could you maybe keep the zed and get a shed for the commute? sounds like you need a diesel auto for the commute, and then keep the zed for weekends.

• Like 2

Its a tough one - new cars are comfy, warm, economical and reliable, all things that become a lot more attractive as you get older.

They tend to be heavier, slower and less fun though, thats the payoff.

My best advice is to find something thats newer, but still gets you excited ........ and it sounds like the Fester might be worth further investigation, Ive heard very good things about them too - a mate that competed in Time attack is now using one as his track steed :lol:

Alternatively buy something with a turbo and map the arse of of it :lol:

Literally didn't read your post. Just go back and read one of your old posts on the EXACT SAME SUBJECT if you want to see everyone saying "no your z is gorgeous, keep it" "No your car is so amazing". If you're having to ask a forum of Z lovers if you should keep yours so frequently, clearly you already know the answer. It's like that guy who posted up asking if he should break up with his missus, if you're having to ask a bunch of randoms on the internet, you already know the answer.

Sell it and move on, just copy and paste one of the old for sale posts you did.

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=479626

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/91426-04-uk-350z-for-sale-5500/

the majority of my driving is spent sitting in traffic jams

In a nutshell this is modern motoring, the only way imho to get out and enjoy a drive is to either get up at silly o clock in the summer or take it to the track, the only other alternative is to plan a driving holiday, europe, scotland or north wales and then you have to justify a car sitting there for the odd decent drive.

I know there are many members who enjoy the show scene which is another great reason to enjoy the car, but if thats not your bag either, i dont see any reason why it would tick the boxes, apart from just ownership.

So the harsh bit, its just a mass produced car, its not unique and if you ever feel you want back in, its not like your going to struggle to find one, so go experience some other cars, you might find something that suits you better or you might think you fancy another, so what have you lost?

seems that like the majority or petrolheads, you need two cars. one for the day to day commute, and one for weekend/fun.

the day to day should be comfortable, quiet and economical. the weekend car should be loud, great to drive with no regards to practicality or economy.

you already have the weekend car, so just supplement it by adding a daily driver and you're good to go. about 2k should get you a perfectly functional bmw 320d, which will be perfect for wafting to work in.

personally a hot ford fiesta still sounds like a compromise, it'll still get stuck in traffic jams, and it'll probably be a less comfortable place to sit than a zed.

What i will say is, i would hate to daily my Zed in city centre traffic every day. Just not a nice car for that sort of daily commute. My daily or whenever i fancy is my J reg 1.4l Sunny, super light steering, gear change and clutch, great visibility, small easy to park, everyone gives you way (pity vote) dirt cheap to insure, tax and run (no wear & tear part costs more than £50 to buy new). Park it up and walk away, with no fear of car park dings - bliss.

Also getting back into the 350z after a few days in the Sunny, makes it feel like a Bugatti Veyron :lol:

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 4

Thanks for the input lads. I appreciate it gets frustrating reading similar post about this from me but at the end of the day I'm a petrol head and enjoy talking through ideas/options with fellow petrol heads.

Going to test drive the focus and fiesta ST in a couple of days. Focus ST with moutune upgrade seem's like a better option between the two, as it will still have the power I'm used to (probably quicker than the Z actually) but better MPG numbers and nice modern comforts. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has owned or drove the new focus.

I totally get why you'd want to change and be honest now this is not the first time you've thought about changing is it?! :scare::lol:

Honestly don't think the Fords the way to go but that's up to you. I guess at least you'll get a free baseball cap and Burberry jacket though if you did get the Ford. ;)

I like Brillos suggestion of two cars (one for the commute & one for weekend fun) but I understand not everyone can afford to run two cars, I know I can't. Tbh for anyone to suggest cars sensibly for you then we'd need to know budget, how many seats you want, performance expectations, preferred drivetrain etc.

• Like 2

it only really costs about £700 to run a second car... £300 max on tax since that still takes no account of actual mileage, £300 to insure a second car with limited miles, and £100 for its MOT each year assuming you buy something reasonably reliable. and then petrol, tyres and all other consumable costs are spread across two cars - if the weekend toy only does 2k a year it doesn't get through tyres very quickly.

main concerns for running two cars are where to keep them both!

• Like 1

Doesn't want to spend the money on the Zed, but willing to spend way more for a new Focus ST.............

In a nutshell yes!

Seems a bit pointless putting money into an old car that's starting to rust and clock up high - ish miles. It's not going to get any newer and I'll only end up swapping it for something else another couple of years down the line anyway.

BRZ wouldn't be a bad choice, ticks most of the boxes. I just have an itch for boost as I've never owned a turbo car before which is why the BRZ isn't higher up the list of options.

I've tried the two car thing before and to be honest I just found it more hassle than what it was worth. Due to the lack of NCB it cost more than the Z to insure, I got unlucky with reliability issues and ended up getting rid of it.

I guess I'm looking for a good compromise between comfort, performance, reliability and practicality. Something I can do the commute in comfortably but something that will come alive when I want it to (hence looking at hot hatches) I'm not to bothered about fuel consumption but I'd not want anything worse than the Z and as I said, it has to be turbo.

Toying between PCP (waits for flaming off everyone) on a brand new motor as I can get a pretty good deal on new ST's from my mate at ford, or buying used. If I go used budget will be about 10k.

I've always been in love with evo's, skylines etc and while I'd still enjoy a car like that I'm after something a little more grown up, modern and refined.

Edited by nowhereboy

Fiesta ...really? you'll regret that move bud..just step up to 370,you won't regret it :teeth:

Budget of 10k used or buying a 370 new...one impossible and the other is going with quite a high repayment schedule.

I'm not really interested in a 370 to be honest, I just feel like it's more of the same. Plus for the money it would cost me on PCP I'd almost be in Focus RS territory. If I could persuade the Mrs the RS is a good idea I'd be onto a winner but I don't see that happening anytime soon :lol:

Actually, irrespective of your choices, i would go for a 135i, fits all those boxes very nicely :)

Now why didnt I think of that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its a good shout though, new enough to feel nicer than a 350, turbocharged, better on fuel and moddable if you get the urge. I have to say they are a bit soft and wobbly as standard but its not that difficult or expensive to fix if you want something a bit tighter :)

Whatever the best Golf Gti you can buy might be worth a look too, cracking cars IMO :)

• Like 1

Or if you fancy something a little more sporty looking, how about the Z4 with the same engine. Golf is also a good shout or again if you fancy a different wrapper, a Sirroco.

Got to be honest, a Fiesta wouldnt even get a look in with any of your boxes with the above available.

• Like 2