After a car - thoughts?

secretstar07979

Anyway, this is where I am with this car. It ticks all the boxes for what I'm looking for but that exhaust just isn't for me. It's too in your face. I'm not a boy racer.

So here is the question. How easy would it be to replace it with a good twin exhaust? I don't mind a nice deep tone but that popping is just not what I'm looking for. Could I sell the exhaust that's on it and how much would that offset the cost?

Can you recommend good places near Derby that can carry out the work so I can ring for a quote?

Very easy to replace the single exit exhaust with a twin again.

Plenty of options available from the professional traders on here like Torqen, Tarmac Sportz, the Cougar Store & more all in the "Professional Traders" area. You could also go for a secondhand option as they do also pop up on here as well as eBay etc.

The old system would sell imo as it's a decent enough system plus it looks in fair condition & some members will always want to go for a louder exhaust. You also have enough posts to make a for sale advert in the "350Z parts for sale" sub section. Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/213-350z-parts-for-sale/

This will give you some ideas on new prices depending on whether it's a full system with the Y-pipe or just a centre section & back box: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/101158-350z-single-exit-performance-power-package-pre-order/

No idea on the garage front in Derby sorry but any competent independent garage will be able to remove an old exhaust and fit a new one. :thumbs:

I still want to know what that switch is really for. OP... you must buy this car and flick the switch!There a purple wire coming from the battery area - but doesn't appear to have DRLs fitted? Looks like there is some widget fitted below the front number plate. Cloaking device for speed cameras?

Edited by evest

What puts me off somewhat is you just know with all the mods it's been ragged to hell and back.

Careful...most of the owners on here have modified their cars, and would strongly disagree that they've been ragged to hell and back!

and they'd be, at best, in denial. lol, I'm kidding, but it is very subjective, one person's normal use is another's 'ragged to hell and back'. ;)

You don't mod a car and not drive it hard. However, as is stated time and time again, no sports car wants to be driven like miss daisy, that causes its own problems (coking, etc). A certain amount of thrashing keeps things running smooth, blatant abuse like burnouts and street drifting on poor surfaces are what you don't want, but pretty much anything else goes.

Basically on a modded car, pull the dipstick and look at the oil, if it's black and old, walk away, as it's likely thrashed and not looked after. If it seems relatively recently changed, rock on, you can take a car to the rev limiter in every gear if you want, that's what the limiter is for. As long as there have been regular oil changes and maintenance, it's not a problem. Try to ask what fuel the previous owner was using, if they can't tell you and are unwilling to contact the previous owner, buyer beware. The Z wants high octane fuel and long term usage of cheap fuel has been documented to cause premature piston wear, it's one of the most important questions I would ask about a Z, and something I learned after I'd purchased mine.

By the way, I also have a mystery switch, mine is near the Traction control button. No clue what it does (yet). Probably activates 'ludicrous speed'. :)

How many more sci fi references can we get in this thread???

Edited by Aashenfox

Bonnet is flaking,good price though. Check tyres as new decent tyres add up (£125 each for Michellin pilot super sports) the bonnet will be £200 to re spray, hopefully from a decent bodyshop who can match the colour without blending into the wings. Check window motors work, take it for a blast to make sure clutch isn't slipping and rev needle sticking or fluttering/ hesitating. When stopped after make sure no smells of clutch. Test drive with window down to listen for noises. New exhaust is a cost also (cobra exhausts sit at £550ish +£250 for y pipe) or you could go back to standard for about £400.

Edit:also noticed the rays alloys are flaking. If you want to refurb these factor in £50 per wheel. On the plus side rays are good alloys :) I hope I haven't came across as negative lol just trying to cost any repairs . oh! And if you do check oil level which is advised make sure you check where the hole is before you pull it out! I checked when I bought mine from a dealer and it's an awkward stick to put back in!

Edited by Exec

Have you tried a post similar to this on pistonheads - the car seems to have one of their stickers on the boot. Failing that, go see it and ask to get through the paperwork and the V5 should have the last owners details. Try getting in touch with them and ask for some history and why they got shot of it. I did that when buying my Zed and found the last owner sold it on knowing the clutch had started to slip ad I needed discs all round

So is this gear issue a "thing" or what?

https://www.gumtree....-83k/1192123806

Could be a problem with the synchromesh which would then just get worse & worse overtime. Might be looking at £500 plus labour for a gearbox overhaul if it's something like that I'd imagine. Could also go with a used gearbox but again still won't be cheap.

There is the chance though it could be something made out of nothing, ...the gearboxes can be a bit notchy especially when cold.

It can be quite common: My old Zed for example used to have problems going from 1st-2nd and from 5th-6th but after I had the gearbox oil changed and some Molyslip added it was fine afterwards even when cold.

The thing is though if the seller has thought enough of the problem to put it in his advert then I'd imagine the problem is fairly apparent when driving so it may well be the synchro which is obviously expensive to sort.

Plenty of gearbox related threads on here to read (there are more but here are a few):

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/42412-notchy-second-gear-when-cold/

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/100329-how-strong-are-the-gearboxes/

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/24069-5th-gear-synchro-problem/

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/55220-350z-gearbox-issues/

You snooze you lose.

I was pondering this for the last two days. I finally decided that as I can get it for under 5k I can spend another 500 on it for my preferred exhaust then it will be perfect for me.

Rang up the dealer to reserve it to be told it was reserved last night. Gutted.

I'm living in hope the sale falls through but I know that's very unlikely. I suspect the new owner may well pop up on here sooner or later!

Edited by secretstar07979

Unlucky, but let me tell you that by rushing I've also picked up a couple of lemons in my time, you never know, you may have dodged a bullet. As you say, hopefully new owner will turn up here and tell us all about it. :)

On the flip side, I always buy the first car I look at, never gone wrong yet :D

Yeah but just look at the state of that thing you drive now...

:stir:

That's a tad harsh.

I mean I didn't think it looked too bad, ...well that was until he added the aeroplane wing. :lol:;) ;)

Blue car is a nicer colour and well priced for its miles and pack. It is a DE engine so 276bhp and someone has already installed a cobra exhaust - be worth finding out if it has a plenum spacer & decats although the seller might not know.

The black car is a 2006, so will have the revup engine, there's an aftermarket air intake installed which means it's possible there's been some additional investment in performance or a remap. Something to check.

The black one will be slightly more powerful than the blue one assuming no unseen mods - the only issue I have is the description labeling everything as nismo spec. Brake discs, exhaust etc. It isn't, trust me. It'd be worth a damn sight more than £6k if it had anything Genuine Nismo on it.

Good luck with your hunt :-)

Edited by -G-

So the sale of the original orange car did not complete. Apparently the guy who reserved it is in France and the dealership can't get hold of him and needs it gone as he has new cars coming in and needs the space. (They sell high end performance cars)

I've now put a deposit on it to secure and hope to collect it tomorrow. I'm pretty sure in time I'll be replacing that single exhaust with a twin cobra.

Nice one fella.

The Cobra's aren't the most subtle of exhausts, but should be quieter than the single exit, which I am sure will sell very quickly on here!

Bit of a trek depending on where you are near Derby, but if you pick it up tomorrow and want a little drive out in the evening the Milton Keynes meet is happening at 19:30 ;)

• Like 1

So the sale of the original orange car did not complete. Apparently the guy who reserved it is in France and the dealership can't get hold of him and needs it gone as he has new cars coming in and needs the space. (They sell high end performance cars)

I've now put a deposit on it to secure and hope to collect it tomorrow. I'm pretty sure in time I'll be replacing that single exhaust with a twin cobra.

Great news.

Remember to check the oil level before setting off on any long journey home. Hope all goes well. :thumbs:

Oh and remember to check out the "350Z parts for sale" section for good quality used exhausts if you do decide to replace the single exit one.

• Like 1

Oh by the way, someone was asking what that mysterious switch was next to the gear stick. I asked that dealer. It's for an exterior beam light. I take it someone's been watching too much Fast and Furious. :lol:

I wondered if that was a light beam behind the Zunsport grill...

A couple of us are likely to be about earlier than 19:30 if you come by sooner..

The thread for the meet is http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/112111-18th-october-milton-keynes-zed-meet/