"notchy" second gear when cold

drivebyabuser

Just getting to grips with the new zed - mostly loving it - Cant stop driving past high walls and plate glass shops!

One of the issues i have is that when cold its hard to get it in to second gear. It seems quite notchy - takes a little more force than i feel it should and more than the other ratios.

Once warm though it seems fine. Is this common? any ideas?

I will take it for a service in the next month or so and get them to change the gear box oil to see if that has any effect.

Yup - common issue. You either learn to live with it or get a new gear box :thumbs:

I had gear box oil changed but it made no discernable difference - though addition of Molyslip might help - available here http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=43465

Thanks for that - Just didnt want to think my 'box was on the way out!

This sports car lark is not cheap!

Yup - common issue. You either learn to live with it or get a new gear box :thumbs:

I had gear box oil changed but it made no discernable difference - though addition of Molyslip might help - available here http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=43465

Just another thing - Does everything good come from :pmzmanalex:

:D:D

Had the car 3 weeks and already i speak to him more than my missus!

Try short shifting to thrid when you can mate. I have 2 gearboxes being rebuilt now and I will offer an exchange when they are done :thumbs: :pmr35lee: If the problem starts to annoy you as it will continue to worsen in most cases then get in touch.

Try short shifting to thrid when you can mate. I have 2 gearboxes being rebuilt now and I will offer an exchange when they are done :thumbs: :pmr35lee: If the problem starts to annoy you as it will continue to worsen in most cases then get in touch.

Cheers - Sorry i know good things come from :pmr35lee: too but i just havent had a chance to use you yet!

Where are you based and what kind of cost am i looking at for an exchange?

Yeah, mine's been notchy from brand new, it improves as the car warms up but even then its not as smooth as it should be. My wife's roadster has the same notchy second gear but it completely goes away after a couple of miles :shrug: . I've no idea if Nissan made any changes to the gear box on the later models, could just be differences from car to car. I've learned to live with it, just making the gear change a bit slower will mask it to a degree, anyway, it's nothing to be concerned about.

Pete

Mine has only ever done it when freezing cold and improves as soon as warmed up - its never got any worse- its just a bit annoying - I contemplated a re-build and new box but decided more trouble than its worth - as Lee suggests generally driving with a bit of 'mechanical sympathy' when its cold does the trick :thumbs:

Glad its a "quirk" Will have to learn to double de clutch properly now, then teach mrs drivebyabuser......

in gear (likely 3rd but could be another) press clutch pop out of gear, lift clutch. push clutch down again select 2nd. lift clutch

basically use the clutch twice instead of doing it all in one change. the lift and drop on a double clutch change seems to straight/re align the syncros between changes. once the gear box oil is all nice and warm the syncro's are far more compliant.