350z gearbox issues

zippy

hi, im new to the 350z scene i got my car at christmas from a vw dealer 53 plate, 48000 miles and full service history. I had trouble getting into 2nd gear when cold all the other gears were okay. After 3 miles i could get 2nd gear easyly after the car had warmed up. I took it back to the vw dealer who sent it to a nissian dealer, first of all they changed the gearbox oli which made no diffence. Then they stripped the gearbox down and found no problems. So they charged vw £2080 to fit a new fly wheel and clutch and they said it would sort out my 2nd gear problem. I havn't got the car back yet i cant see how this could have been the problem because i could still get all my other gears okay what do you think? cheers zip

hi, im new to the 350z scene i got my car at christmas from a vw dealer 53 plate, 48000 miles and full service history. I had trouble getting into 2nd gear when cold all the other gears were okay. After 3 miles i could get 2nd gear easyly after the car had warmed up. I took it back to the vw dealer who sent it to a nissian dealer, first of all they changed the gearbox oli which made no diffence. Then they stripped the gearbox down and found no problems. So they charged vw £2080 to fit a new fly wheel and clutch and they said it would sort out my 2nd gear problem. I havn't got the car back yet i cant see how this could have been the problem because i could still get all my other gears okay what do you think? cheers zip

Add some molyslip ;)

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=43465&hilit=molyslip

But I suggest you pm ZMANALEX first to confirm if he thinks that will help resolve the issue.

1st to 2nd baulking is well known and especially when cold you need to ease the change. Once warmed up and on the move it should be fine - if the changes are still difficult it might be something else, but lets hope the work done has sorted it for you.

Add some molyslip ;)

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=43465&hilit=molyslip

But I suggest you pm ZMANALEX first to confirm if he thinks that will help resolve the issue.

1st to 2nd baulking is well known and especially when cold you need to ease the change. Once warmed up and on the move it should be fine - if the changes are still difficult it might be something else, but lets hope the work done has sorted it for you.

:wave: Unfortunately, not many of the main Nissan dealers know a lot about Zeds. A few other members have had the same symptoms and usually points to a known synchro issue, although the 'box usually is tight when cold anyway. As Colin Said add some Molyslip, it should help.

Get a post up herehttp://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3 and :worthless:

:wave: Unfortunately, not many of the main Nissan dealers know a lot about Zeds. A few other members have had the same symptoms and usually points to a known synchro issue, although the 'box usually is tight when cold anyway. As Colin Said add some Molyslip, it should help.

Get a post up herehttp://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3 and :worthless:

I think there was nothing wrong in the first place and you have managed to get a free clutch and flywheel. If you had bought it at the nissan garage and taken it back there they would probably have said "they all do that sir". Rear wheel drive car, cold, its not uncommon for second to be a bit stiff.