MOT - Failed!

SiriusProjects

Well, I had my MOT today and it failed.

The reason it failed was because there was no steering wheel airbag as I had and aftermarket steering wheel fitted. The last few years it hasn't been a problem, but according to the MOT test centre, the laws have got tougher and they are clamping down. It was fortunate that I still had the original steering wheel, so I popped home and got it. The garage removed the new one and refitted the old one and it was retested and passed.

Don't know if anyone on here has had a similar experience recently, but thought it was worthwhile giving everyone a heads up.

did they then remove the old one and reinstall the new one again?

im a little concerned about airbags when I MOT my track car - my plan is to take the airbag module out so all airbags are disabled, but still present - if that passes i'll start actually removing airbags.

odd as i cant find any newer info on it, it should have been a pass and advise as unless they removed the wheel to prove no airbag was present they cant just assume and there not allowed to remove anything to check it must be tested as its presented unless it was an OEM wheel with the airbag clearly gone and wires hanging out should be a pass and advise.

Under 5.4 of the MOT regs, the SRS section.

As far as practicable, check that all airbags fitted as original equipment are present and

not obviously defective.

REASON FOR REJECTION

An airbag obviously missing or defective.

So yes, they were correct to fail it. However, I'd be finding a new garage with some common sense, or if not possible then sadly it'll mean re-fitting the OEM one once a year. :(

Interesting i wonder how modern rally cars like the fiestas and ds3 that have to be road legal get by it

although just thinking about it rally cars dont tend to last the first 3 years of life so would never need a MOT bit unfair

The general rule seems to be, if something is fitted then it should work (ie its there for a reason). This applies to headlight washers, on my previous car a 2001 Audi TT my headlight washers didn't work but I still got a pass. No one seemed sure of the wording on the MOT check list?

Interesting i wonder how modern rally cars like the fiestas and ds3 that have to be road legal get by it

although just thinking about it rally cars dont tend to last the first 3 years of life so would never need a MOT bit unfair

P9, section 5. Extensively modified vehicles would pass regardless of having a steering wheel with airbag or not.

Like I said, find a different station. ;)

"Where a car has been extensively modified or converted, certain Reasons for Rejection such as 'components missing where fitted as standard' should not be applied, for example: A car converted for rally use (i.e. rear seats removed and fitted with a roll cage and full harness seatbelts etc) may have been converted so as not to require a brake servo, power steering or airbags. VOSA says it is expected that modifications to cars converted for track or rally use will be permanent and readily identifiable, and wouldn't include those where an airbag has been disconnected for "occasional" off-road use, for instance. We're also told fixed drivers' seats are acceptable in any vehicle provided the adjusting mechanism has been removed and the seat is now clearly a fixed seat in one position. Simply removing the adjuster lever or locking it in one position won't be acceptable for an MOT.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1130476

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm just going on what I was told. If the laws have been tightened and VOSA are checking, then I think that maybe the MOT station failed me, because they wouldn't want to risk any kind of come back. I think I will look into this a bit more though, because if it turns out that another MOT station would have passed it, then I'm going to be spitting feathers.

Just a secondary thought.....

It's a modification that I would expect most insurance companies could see as having the potential to add to serious injury compared to a steering wheel with an airbag. So if not declared and the worse happened excuse for them not to pay out. :shrug:

You should always tell them you've changed the steering wheel, and if they ask if it has an airbag then tell them that too. Otherwise, as long as you've told them then that's their problem.

Going back to the OP, how modified is your car? If it's just wheels, a roof wrap and a steering wheel then they were right to fail it. If it's stripped inside, bucket seats and 888s, then they should've passed it.

Hi Ekona,

When the aftermarket steering wheel was fitted, I notified my insurer straightaway and they had no problem with it and noted it on my policy.

As for modifications. The alloys wheels are factory anyway. New exhaust system fitted, roof spoiler and the aftermarket steering wheel. Other than that, just cosmetic stuff really.

I do not understand their logic. So a car modified for track use means you can have an non-airbag steering wheel and still be road legal.

But if you just want a non-airbag steering wheel because you like it then you can't have one?

• Like 1

I'm assuming track car will have straps/harness rather than normal seat belts hence you will not move forwards as much or minimum movement during accident/crash that your face will hit the steering wheel or windscreen. Hence steering wheel airbag is not mandatory.....That's my logic IMO

Edit: OP, maybe this is a good excuse to install 5 point harness?? and keep your aftermarket steering wheel B) But check that with your MOT station first

Edited by veeg33
  • Like 2

I do not understand their logic. So a car modified for track use means you can have an non-airbag steering wheel and still be road legal.

But if you just want a non-airbag steering wheel because you like it then you can't have one?

Correct. The theory being that airbags are needed to keep casualties down, so you must have them. However, that then means that rally cars cannot drive between stages, never mind that it would cause a lot of problems going forward with regards to grassroots motorsports, so they deliberately left a get out in.

To me, it's the right thing to do, although it makes life awkward for those of us that don't like a gigantic thick rimmed wheel with no feel to steer our cars with.

• Like 1