A Good Snow Foaming Product. Stop watch is on..........

zebedy

That title got ya all thinking I bet.

Q. Just wondered, how long should a good snow foaming product take to drip its way off the car ?

Bought some cheap ebay 5ltr cherry something or other and dripped its way off in a matter of mins albeit not a bad foam from my Karcher disperser. To me thats sound cheap and not doing a very good job as a contactless initial clean.

Any advice here please. Detailers advise me with the best but not silly OTT prices.

thanks

That title got ya all thinking I bet.

Q. Just wondered, how long should a good snow foaming product take to drip its way off the car ?

Bought some cheap ebay 5ltr cherry something or other and dripped its way off in a matter of mins albeit not a bad foam from my Karcher disperser. To me thats sound cheap and not doing a very good job as a contactless initial clean.

Any advice here please. Detailers advise me with the best but not silly OTT prices.

thanks

I have the same cheap 5l cherry ebay one and it stays for about 10mins. Make sure your mixture is good, mine comes out like porridge lol sticks very well!

The foaming is as much to do with the foam lance as it is the soap itself. If you're using the plastic Karcher lance then there are much better out there that will provide a much thicker foam.

Edited by KyleR
  • Like 1

I've had really good cleaning foam which drips off in minutes (Bilt Hamber Autofoam and the Avalanche one both spring to mind) but also big thick foams which last for ages but don't shift stuff that well. Dwell doesn't directly = good cleaning grunt.

The best one I've used recently is Gyeon http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/gyeon-q2m-foam-cat2.html Good dwell (enough to clean all four wheels properly whilst it works) and good cleaning.

The Envy snowfoam Bubbly Jubbly is decent and well priced, but I'm sure someone told me it was a rebranded foam that could be picked up elsewhere, can't remember the deets.

I've just replaced my snowfoam Lance and seriously it's like shaving foam with the exact same dilution.

My previous one was also aftermarket but obviously had served it's time.

A karcher one will be utterly dreadful.

You're looking about 15 quid off ebay with the right attachment.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

The Envy snowfoam Bubbly Jubbly is decent and well priced, but I'm sure someone told me it was a rebranded foam that could be picked up elsewhere, can't remember the deets.

It's not ;) Tim was a chemical engineer in a previous life, everything is his own concoction. Bloody clever man, wish I had half his brains! :lol:

It's not ;) Tim was a chemical engineer in a previous life, everything is his own concoction. Bloody clever man, wish I had half his brains! :lol:

Fair enough then, didn't know that. The foam is good and good value IMO.

A good snow foam is not dictated by its dwell time. Anything that needs more than 5 minutes dwell time is because it's crap.

Magifoam and Ambush for example can cling for 20+ minutes, in fact both will dry out before running off, but neither actually achieve anything. Bilt Hamber and Avalanche will run off within 3 minutes at the correct PIR but both will achieve more in those two minutes than Magifoam will achieve in 2 hours. After all, how can a foam help remove any dirt if it's just sitting on the surface itself?

Also thicker foams will clog up the lance gauze considerably. Magifoam used to ruin a lance with every wash whilst the same lanse using the same water and Car Chem foam is still virtually spotless after a year's use (a couple of dozen uses).

A proper lance will make the world of difference too. The standard chemical bottle that come with a pressure isn't designed to foam anything but rather mix in a solution.

Dilution rates will also influence how well a foam works and foams. Anything with instructions that state "an inch in the bottle" or "just x ml in the bottle" is just ridiculous. You need to know/determine the ratio that's hitting the panel not what's being added to an unknown quantity of water leaving the lance.

Anyway, to answer the OPs question, 3-5 tops for a GOOD snow foam.

Also, Bilt Hamber or Car Chem are hard to beat all round.