Goodbye Z, hello BMW M235i

joedeejay

After owning the 370z for just over a year I had to say goodbye to her to make room for the beemer! BMW M235i with all the toys, auto too. Fantastic little pocket rocket that blends into the crowd a bit now. Was thinking about an older GTR but wanted newer car for peace of mind with warranty etc.

IMG_20160625_141705_zpslo6kgrdg.jpg

20160625_135704_zps4sif71zn.jpg

• Like 4

I do like these... a lot... very capable little car, but they aren't interesting to look at. Most people couldn't tell the difference between the 235i and a 218d which for me is a bit of a turn off.

I'd have gone for the GTR and bought a warranty. :D

Still taking some getting use to, its my first auto. I think thats a bit of the appeal blending in to the crowd. My 370z got a lot of attention, I mean it was bright blue after all. Attention can be good or bad. I've found people reluctant to let me out of junctions as well, must be the BMW badge haha.

Wish I'd have held out to get an M240i when they are released over here, but got an amazing bargain on this so couldnt say no. Adaptive lights with High Beam Assist is such a weird and wonderful feature of the car.

I had adaptive lights, auto high beam and all those toys on the M6, it makes driving so easy, but also makes you a bit lazy and god knows how many people I blinded because I don't really trust it as much as I trust myself, so I found myself doing it manually after a while.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 240, it's only got a few HP more and the same engine I believe, so I'm not really sure why BMW bothered, unless I'm missing something?

I had a google to see what the big changes were, and as you said a few more ponies/torque. Xenons being replaced with the OLED headlights, I wont lie that would have been a selling point for me haha. Im a sucker for fancy lights. Oh and xDrive being an option which is quite a biggy, wouldnt bother with that though after test driving an S3 Saloon. The Haldex setup was great, really fast, but no fun.

The only thing I don't like is that there is no dipstick! I really hope the technology to read the oil level is accurate in the computer.

Lovely looking car.

Looks like BMW x35i are fast become in the nature upgrade path for Z owners :lol: . Can see why, the N54/55 unit is about as good as it gets for the internal combustion engine.

Well N54 hasn't show like a reliable engine at all. Hope with N55 is different story

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

I had a google to see what the big changes were, and as you said a few more ponies/torque. Xenons being replaced with the OLED headlights, I wont lie that would have been a selling point for me haha. Im a sucker for fancy lights. Oh and xDrive being an option which is quite a biggy, wouldnt bother with that though after test driving an S3 Saloon. The Haldex setup was great, really fast, but no fun.

The only thing I don't like is that there is no dipstick! I really hope the technology to read the oil level is accurate in the computer.

I wonder are these the new BMW lights that sense oncoming traffic and bend the beams around it rather than dipping?

Lovely looking car.

Looks like BMW x35i are fast become in the nature upgrade path for Z owners :lol: . Can see why, the N54/55 unit is about as good as it gets for the internal combustion engine.

Well N54 hasn't show like a reliable engine at all. Hope with N55 is different story

The N54 block was/is unbreakable, it was all the stuff connected to it, turbos, oil/water pumps, seals etc :lol:

• Like 1

I wonder are these the new BMW lights that sense oncoming traffic and bend the beams around it rather than dipping?

I think thats the laser lights in use on the i3 and i8 that have that technology, the OLEDs from what I just googled are restricted to side lights and brake lights and arent yet bright enough to be used as headlights and indicators, so I'll have a stab the M240i will just have fancy new angel eyes up front, not as exciting as I first thought now.

Lovely looking car.

I've not heard any horror stories as of yet, 2 years BMW warranty just in case though lol. The N54 was never strong enough for 2 turbos, guessing thats why they dumped it for a twin-scroll single turbo instead to make the N55

• Like 1

Taking in to account that this is just a 2 series and not say an M2, you really can't fault the subtle looks as everything else about the car is spot on as already stated. Fast, four seats, nice interior and great sound. Pretty much ticks all the boxes if you were after a car of this type.

How much are these new ?

List price for mine was £39.8k and whatever the 5 year service pack cost. I parted with £28.5k for it 1 year old and 13k miles on the clock. Someone lost some money on it!

Just bought and fitted some of the LED Door projectors BMW sell. Probably a marmite thing but I love them

20160722_223329_zpsjytpdwu6.jpg

• Like 4

^^ I hate Marmite Joe but I like those. ;):D

The kit from BMW came with 4 lenses to use which is pretty cool, think the M is the best of the lot though. Cant really use the "X" for Xdrive seeing as I dont have that hah

PhotoGrid_1469308288347_zpsrq3w2g7j.jpg

Rear windows now tinted thanks to Yorkshire Tinting in York. Really nice guy that did them, had the 370z done by them too. Happily recommend.

Gone for an 85% tint, OEM look. Should probably stop spending money now hah!

20160715_141558_zpsuqq2vew9.jpg

Rear windows now tinted thanks to Yorkshire Tinting in York. Really nice guy that did them, had the 370z done by them too. Happily recommend.

Gone for an 85% tint, OEM look. Should probably stop spending money now hah!

Yeah right, ....good luck with that. :dry::lol::D

• Like 1