Wedding planning ideas

ZeppoJeff

Yeah, we've just got our own place so don't need any stuff for that so will end up asking for money to pay towards our honeymoon! Does it sound rude if you ask for money?

No. Gone are the days when people need toasters and tea sets. We have asked for contributions to our honeymoon for our wedding in less than 3 weeks! :scare:

We have been together 10 years and living together 8, so we already have all the house stuff well and truly covered.

If you're worried about asking for cash, then you can setup a gift website where people can pay amounts of money for imaginary experiences that you can have on your holiday. You can then chose to do those things or just lop a lump sum off the total cost of the honeymoon. The people we booked with have this as an option and I think it's fairly common nowadays.

Edited by Paddy78

When I got married the wife said she was perfectly happy with a basic wedding with just a few guests. She was even up for the idea of buying a 2nd hand wedding dress off ebay. I was very surprised. But it wasnt long before the costs went through the roof. The wedding dress ended up being £1600 and imported from the USA. She didnt loose enough weight to fit into it and so then had to fork out for alterations.

The guest list went from having a few people there in the day for a meal and everyone else arriving for the evening do, to having everyone there for both, with a really good chef laying on beef wellington made with fillet beef. That alone was 60quid a head or something. Still, even now, years later everyone reckons it was the best wedding meal they have ever had, even better than their own.

She had to have everything at the wedding and everything was cash cash cash. We even forked out for a lot of friends and familys hotel rooms for the night in a trendy hotel. We didnt have a free bar, but spent an absolute fortune on wine & bubbly, plus all the entertainment throughout the day & evening singer/disco.

Then the honeymoon.... I forget what it was now but something like £5k for 2 weeks. Mental. I remember working out I could have had 14 all inclusive 2 week breaks in Spain for the same price! TBH whilst it was 5 star, I thought the honeymoon was rubbish compared to some holidays ive had, total waste of decent cash. Spent most of the time laying by a pool drinking cocktails. I took 10 books to read, read them all and ended up borrowing books of other guests. Not what you expect for a "honeymoon". when I was hoping to spend most of the time holed up in the hotel room having fun. Still we did have a few trips out sight seeing and met some lovely couples who we are still friends with now.

As always with weddings, if its your wedding the day flys by and you dont really have chance to enjoy it. Its all about the guests rather than the "happy" couple. Still it was fun opening all the gifts afterwards. We asked for cash as like most people you already have a house & all the stuff. It was surprising to see how generous some friends were and how tight others were. Still we ended up clearing a good 3 or 4 grand in wedding pressies. Sort of off-set the £17k or whatever the wedding ended up costing us.

• Like 1

We went to Bergerac in France, SERIOUSLY consider somewhere overseas for these reasons:

1) Cost - it sounds stupid but France is so much cheaper for this kind of thing. The 7 course (french, cooked by french chefs) meal was EUR 50 per head and wine came in at under EUR 3 per bottle, we had some friends get married at the same time and they were paying £22 per bottle for wine - thats 4K on wine alone, I dont even want to think what the food would have cost.

We hired 2 big chateaux and all of the accommodation in the village, people averaged EUR 300 per couple for a week ........... Ive paid more than that for a night at a UK wedding

2) Weather - its never guaranteed but Southern France is a hell of a lot more likely to be sunny ..........

3) Hangers on - youd be amazed how many people looking for a free lunch drop out when they realise its going to cost them a couple of hundred quid to get there, these are invariably the same people you dont want to be paying for.

4) Wedding tax - it doesnt exist in France. Flowers, food, drink, venue rental, horse and carriage, band ............ whatever you want it costs the same as it would for a 50th birthday.

5) Duration - one of the things Ive noticed about weddings Ive been too recently is how quickly they are over, even as a guest. We did ours over a full week, the fact it was in France meant people treated it like more of a holiday and everyone had a blinding time - at least two weddings were replanned following ours as it was such a success :)

Honeymoons can wait, spend the money on the wedding and if you can stretch it to a few days or more you wont regret it.

Edited by docwra
  • Like 1

Yeah, we've just got our own place so don't need any stuff for that so will end up asking for money to pay towards our honeymoon! Does it sound rude if you ask for money?

No. Gone are the days when people need toasters and tea sets. We have asked for contributions to our honeymoon for our wedding in less than 3 weeks! :scare:

We have been together 10 years and living together 8, so we already have all the house stuff well and truly covered.

Ahh fair enough, cash it is then please! The holiday donation thing you mentioned sounds like a plan, I think I'd prefer the cash though!

You should see what Indians give as gifts :scare:

My cousin got given a £5-7k diamond necklace. That was just from one family. I remember my brother telling me he'd got about 30k of gifts in total.

Wow - £5-7k diamond necklace - Is that particular family free at the end of August next year? :lol::D

• Like 1

so what would you do if you went to a wedding and the couple asked for cash to put towards a honeymoon?

I always give cash anyway (universal vouchers I call it) and having banged out for a wedding a couple of years after living together for 9 years there isnt anything else we would want anyway.

As Ekona says, "holiday vouchers" might be a bit more acceptable but I wouldnt give a toss. What we really need is the Austrian approach, where you lay on the day for your guests and they then pay between EUR 100-150 per person towards it, why cant we do that?

Personally, I find nothing more grotesque than asking for cash as a wedding present. I'll never ever give cash as a gift, ever.

See this is what I mean, I wasn't sure if it was acceptable however as you say each to their own. But would you donate to a honeymoon pot? if you knew it was going on a specific gift?

so what would you do if you went to a wedding and the couple asked for cash to put towards a honeymoon?

Tell them they are disgusting, and walk out :lol:;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Think we spent our money on two honeymoons - as above, we had been together years before we got married, what do we need another set of cooking pots for, we kinda bought all that stuff before. Vouchers are ok, but limit what you can actually do with them obviously.

Other cultures do the cash thing, I remember having to pay to get into a wedding we were invited to in Japan!

Personally, I find nothing more grotesque than asking for cash as a wedding present. I'll never ever give cash as a gift, ever.

Agree entirely. Even more so if you know the people getting married have more money than you do! :lol:

You do get the kind of online gift thing that John Lewis do but instead of gifts it's an online pot for people to put money towards the honey moon. This way the honeymoon is paid for an any excess people put in can be put to wards activities and stuff on the honeymoon.

Rent a Villa in Curacao in the carribean. It's absolutely beautiful. Flights from Florida (they don't fly from here) are cheap and you can spend a week there if she loves Disney. It's about 4 hour flight from Florida.

Here are some you can rent.

Between 10 of you if you take guests you're looking at about 25 quid a night each and if your guests just want to show up for the Curacao bit instead of the Florida bit theyll have a cheap carribean holiday.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRentals-g147277-Reviews-Curacao-Vacation_Rentals.html

Edited by TT350

With regards to the wedding gifts, personally I dont like it when someone has (for example) a John Lewis gift list full of mega expensive items, its as if they are expecting you to fork out a fortune. You end up looking through it and buying them 1 cup or 3 knifes or something stupid as everything is so expensive or anything under £400 has already been snapped up by other guests.

The way I see it, is what would I have paid for the meal etc if I had gone out to a restaurant etc. Maybe 30 or 40quid, so maybe give them £100 or something if theres two of you. You know the couple have forked out a fortune for the day, so id rather give them cash towards that than some voucher for something they may never use or end up selling on ebay. But everyone is different. We had some people come for the entire day & night and only give us a tenner. We had one Italian couple who we barely knew come for just the evening disco and they gave us £250! Mental.

Rent a Villa in Curacao in the carribean. It's absolutely beautiful. Flights from Florida (they don't fly from here)

KLM do, via Amsterdam :thumbs:

Between 10 of you if you take guests you're looking at about 25 quid a night each

Thats probably a little optimistic, particularly when the flight will be £1000+ ;)

Rent a Villa in Curacao in the carribean. It's absolutely beautiful. Flights from Florida (they don't fly from here)

KLM do, via Amsterdam :thumbs:

Between 10 of you if you take guests you're looking at about 25 quid a night each

Thats probably a little optimistic, particularly when the flight will be £1000+ ;)

A top end villa is around 300 a night. I'd there's 10 of you sharing thats 30 a night.

You could get a flight to Florida then to CuaraCao a lot cheaper than direct.

Anyway, was just trying to help

With regards to wedding lists, we gave people the option of donating to a just giving page for charity or if they would prefer to do something the more personal then there was a "buy our honeymoon" list which included small things like a drink in a certain bar, medium things like specific activities and a few larger items like hotel upgrades for anyone wanting to be special. The plan is to take photos on the honeymoon of said drinks etc and post thank yous to those who bought those gifts.