Jetski Advice

Mudman

Hi all

Considering getting one of these on the move overseas - am a total noob so haven't a clue what to look for - I would prefer something old and reliable as where I am headed looks are not important. Seem to be a lot about for about £3000 so pitching about there. Parts will not be in ready supply and will probably have to service myself so any advice appreciated.

A four stroke ski is going to be the most reliable and economic (fuel costs etc), but, way more costly to repair if they go wrong. Sadly anything that lives in the sea and gets beaten to sh*t, which jet skis do, is going to require keeping on top of, i.e regular maintenance, lubing, etc I prefer a good old 2 stroke, if its got fuel and spark it will start, if it doesnt start, its one or the other and servicing is pretty much just a plug change. If the engine dies £800 should see it fully rebuilt on a Seadoo.

£3k is a good budget and you should get a very nice ski for that, try to stick with Seadoo or Yamaha but avoid early di Seadoos, the fuel injection systems are massively complex and troubleshooting faults can be very very costly.

Any particular questions, fire away.

Edited by Jetpilot

^^^^ I know very little about sit downs. Just that most guys on the forums and Facebook swear by Yamaha.

But a superjet stand up in swell and waves is :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: (and I'm an old get)

Thanks for the heads up. I guess hours can be read both ways as in not many or used a lot indicating reliability. For me it's all about relablity as there's no lifeboats and plenty of sharks ! Any general spares you recommend taking as I'm getting a 20ft Container for my bits and last time only managed 3 pallets so have plenty of room and that's with a ski on a trailer

Edited by Mudman

Spare plugs, spare battery or two, if buying a two stroke plenty of decent two stroke oil and lots of cans of spray lube. Everytime you use it, wash it down with soapy water inside and out and then liberal application of lube over the entire engine. I would probably get a spare impeller too, just incase you suck up a rock/stone etc

Needs to be a ski really - some of the guys have fishing rigs set up and go trolling for tuna - - with some pretty good results so that's ideally one alternative use I'm looking at

Got to ask, where are you moving to ?.

Papua New Guinea - did 3 and a half years there last time, infrastructure is 3rd world but Fishing/Diving/Watersports excellent

I'm with Jetpilot - Had 2 Seadoo's rock solid never let me down and had great fun with them :thumbs:

Yamaha for a stand up, wave runners are good for speed but they are a big craft.

• 3 weeks later...