How do you clean wheels without scratching?

asianRobert

Hey guys and girls, sorry if this is in the wrong area but I was wondering how you guys clean your wheels? what you guys use to clean etc. because i got my wheels a few months ago and I am very hesitant about wiping down my wheels because I do not want to scratch them (my wheels get dirty quite frequently from brake dusts)....any tips or suggestions on how to clean wheels will be greatly appreciated.

A trick I swear by is furniture polish (one with beeswax in it, costs less than a quid) and a duster! Cheap as chips and with a bit of elbow grease the brake dust will come off no probs. Did this for nearly 10 years on my FTO with no issues and no scratches.

Start with a fallout remover. Spray on, leave to dwell, hose off. That'll remove most off the marks.

Use a microfiber mitt to gently remove any stubborn marks.

Then apply a rim wax.

^ what he said.

You could even double up on a non acidic alloy wheel cleaner and fallout remover.

Ceramic coat would be the ultimate. A good sealant is next best. Rim wax is a little old hat these days but deffo does a job.

Always best to pay a bit more for your products if you can afford it. The crud in Asda and the like ain't the best.

Wonder wheels is a prime example of crap.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Start with a pre-wash.

Then fallout remover. It'll work out much cheaper that way as you're removing the looser stuff before using the fallout remover to work on the deeper set stuff. ;)

Paint on wheels tends to be quite hard wearing though as a rule so don't over think it too much, just get as much dirt and grit off before touching the surface as possible.

Also Rim Wax is s**t, use literally anything else. :lol: there's a head to head test in my thread that Rim Wax lost by a millionty miles. A coating is by far the best option though.

Once you have them clean and sealed with the product of your choice, regular washing is a doddle.

Gentle and often is better than a good hard scrub every few months.

To minimise abrasion I clean the rims under a continuous stream of clean shampoo from a pump sprayer in one hand and minimal pressure wiping with a noodle mitt in the other.

That's all I've used on my rims for past 9 years apart from once every couple years when they get a full decon and resealed.

You may wish to invest in some Wheel Woolies, cleaning brushes.

They are quite expensive, but are ideal for washing your alloys with no scratching.

Carbon collective do a cheaper version.

Total crap like but it's cheaper!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk