12 months with the Leaf....far from perfect, but the future is coming.

gangzoom

Ultimately, cheap to run, but it is in the grand scheme of things a cheap runabout and nothing more. Focus 1.6, not exciting vs other petrol cars, but certainly more exciting than a Leaf on comparison. I think the actual comparison of a Leaf is against something like a Ford Ka. Unspectacular, relatively slow, cheap runabout.

Ironically the places where this should work best i.e. cities trying to cut pollution is where it will not sell in my view. I use my car when heading off on bigger round trips. Anything shorter then public transport wins hands down in London in my view.

So, cheap, slow, uninspiring, get a Leaf. Want longer journey's get a Focus. Want some fun, get something else.

Funny you say that as the Leaf is quicker to 60 than the Focus

The only think cheap about the Leaf is the running cost they are expensive to buy

Never said the 1.6 Focus was faster than the Leaf?

You said it was more exciting ;), you also described it as relatively slow , 0-60 in less than 10 seconds isnt slow in my book

Ultimately, cheap to run, but it is in the grand scheme of things a cheap runabout and nothing more.

A used Leaf is crazy cheap if you commit to keep using it as a daily hack and plan to keep it for say 100K+ miles.

The first 2nd generation cars (post 2013) are now appearing for under £10K battery owned, with less than 20K on the clock. The batteries have proven to be good for 100K despite been charged to 100% each time by a Taxi company.

http://evfleetworld.co.uk/news/2015/May/Taxi-company-hits-100000-mile-landmark-with-LEAF/0438019955

So assuming 4miles per kWh, 12p per kWh, and 95% charger efficiency = £2520 in fuel costs for electricity over 80K miles.

A similar age/miles 1.6TDI Ford Focus is roughly also £10K. According to Honest John the real life mpg of the Focus is around 55mpg.

So assuming 55mpg, fuel at 105p per liter, 80K miles = £6900 in fuel costs.

Add in the difference needed for oil servicing on a combustion car, say £100 per 10K, and £0 for EV (which is ture), the running cost difference between a relative efficiency TDI + cheapish fuel costs and a Leaf is £5K over 80K assuming no mechanical breakdowns on either car.

Given we are talking about a £10K car to start off with a £5K difference in running costs over 80K based on fuel is massive.

I honestly wouldn't object to keeping the Leaf as a daily run around, and than having something special for the weekend, but that's not a option for me. I'll be booking an extended test drive in a Model S/X before the year is out, which am sure many people on here will be looking forwards to my thoughts on EVs after that :lol: .

So you should have been paying 200 a month and 2 years later the cars are now worth 7kish. Eg. like the below:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/311489944520

How on earth does that work?

That car is likely under a 'flex' deal, so as well as the buying the car your committed to a £70/month deal on battery rental. It's also the base spec which doesn't come with the upgraded heat-pump or reversing camera etc.

The PCP deal I'm on works for me purely because am handing it back to Nissan in 12 minutes time. I could have gone for used but don't want the hassell of trying to sell on.

When used Leafs hit £5k (battery included), they be bargains interms of keeping as daily hacks, providing your daily commute is less than 60 miles. If I was buying one with a plan to keep for 5 years+ I would be buying the cheapest post 2013 car.

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That car is likely under a 'flex' deal, so as well as the buying the car your committed to a £70/month deal on battery rental. It's also the base spec which doesn't come with the upgraded heat-pump or reversing camera etc.

The PCP deal I'm on works for me purely because am handing it back to Nissan in 12 minutes time.

Hardly seems worth the hassle :p

A friend of mine has had a Leaf for a couple of years.

Lives in Warrington and commutes to Manchester during the week in the Leaf.

Saves a fortune he tells me.

He then jumps into his 4 yr old GTR on the weekends.

Difference must be interstellar on a Saturday morning :lol:

For him, running the GTR as a daily would be impossible.

As he's self employed I think it's 100% tax deductable too.

• 2 weeks later...

I went in my first Leaf today! :D

Man, what a boring slab of cheap plastic that dash is. It's like going back in time to the early '90s, what on earth are Nissan thinking? That said, the cabin was spacious, the seats comfortable, ride a little too firm but nothing horrendous, and the stereo was decent. It made far too many pings and bongs for my taste, but in fairness a lot of cars do now.

My review: It was alright. I give it half a thumb up percent.

• Like 2

Man, what a boring slab of cheap plastic that dash is. It's like going back in time to the early '90s, what on earth are Nissan thinking? That said, the cabin was spacious, the seats comfortable, ride a little too firm but nothing horrendous, and the stereo was decent. It made far too many pings and bongs for my taste, but in fairness a lot of cars do now.

But it's saving the planet..........

Need more than a decent stereo in a lectric car imo, nothing else to listen to except tyre noise! Anyway the world is about to end, Dan nearly likes a watts wagon.

Interesting write up. Of course not all ICE cars are pricey to run. Jane's Aygo doesn't attract road tax or parking permit charges and a tank of petrol seems to last forever. It's nippy, fun to drive and it has that awesome (cough!) hairdryer gone wrong sound.

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

Interesting write up. Of course not all ICE cars are pricey to run. Jane's Aygo doesn't attract road tax or parking permit charges and a tank of petrol seems to last forever. It's nippy, fun to drive and it has that awesome (cough!) hairdryer gone wrong sound.

But an Aygo cannot carry 4 adults and a baby seat in comfort, allow everyone inside to talk at a comfortable volume even at 70mph on M way, and does the equivalent of 150mpg+ interms of fuel costs.

The Lexus has been sat idle on the driveway for the last 4 weeks now, with the Leaf doing 99.9% of family/commuting duties. As a family car it really is hard for me to fault the Leaf at the moment. It's even making me doubt the wisdom of spending £60K+ on a Model S in 6 month times when the Leaf is been so good and costing me next to nothing....Infact the total £££ I would have spent on the Leaf for 2 years would be barely enough to buy fancy leather seats+para roof on the Model S!!!

Edited by gangzoom