12 months with the Leaf....far from perfect, but the future is coming.

gangzoom

It’s been just over 12 months since I swapped my old car (BMW 335i) for a Nissan Leaf. Various factors drove me to try such a drastic shift in transportation, after all the two couldn’t be more different. The 335i was heavily modified and it’s engine is essentially the same block found in current M2/M3/M4, the Leaf is an all electric car with a range of less than 100 miles in summer (70 miles in winter), and a 0-60 time in around 10 seconds.

So what’s it been like??

26477924151_3ec989d570_b.jpg

Range:

Biggest concern around EVs is always range. If your doing 300 miles a day than no EV is going to work for you – it’s as simple as that, but my self it's been OK. I've done 7000 miles in 12 months, most of my trips are sub 20 miles, so even in winter the 70 mile range of the Leaf is fine for my usage pattern 95% of the time...The other 5%, it's a major pain in the backside (see below on Long distance travel).

Charging:

I have a home driveway/garage, so charging is a non-issue. I can plug in at home, and even with-in 3-4 hrs of charging the car will be back up at 80%. In 12 month of usage I’ve yet to come across a situation when I had issues with charging at home. I’ve even been able to charge it at a farm using a 3-pin plug whilst on a stag do. If you haven’t got a home charging solution, again EVs current really are not going to work well for you.

Long distance use (100 miles+):

Range and charging away from home are major issues and current solutions are NOT fit for purpose on both counts. motorway service stations now have rapid chargers that can deliver 80% charge in 30 minutes. But to be honest it’s useless because 80% range in the Leaf at M-way speeds is about 50-60 miles, and unless your crazy stopping every 50-60 miles is not really compatible with M-way travel.....For me that's not an issue, we have a second car in the family, but for anyone thinking of running one as their only car....I would think again (Personally I wouldn't/couldn't do it).

The drive:

The Leaf isn’t a quick car, but it’s surprisingly good to drive. The electric motor responds instantaneously to your throttle input, and with no gears to worry about it means the drive train of the Leaf is by far the most reactive I’ve tried in any car before. Going back to any petrol car is like trying to use an old Nokia phone in a day/age dominated by smart phones. This is the future of driving, I have no doubts about that.

Day to day use:

Not much to say, it's a large 5 seater hatch back with folding rear seats, you can pack load of stuff, and a baby seat fits in with no issues. Plenty of gadgets too.

16997983441_2d9bd0137a_b.jpg

Cost:

This was one of the main reasons I jumped into the Leaf. I’m currently paying £200/month, having put down £0 deposit. Somehow despite me taking delivery of the Leaf last March, my finance payments didn't start till May, so I essentially got 2 month ‘free’. My main aim of getting the Leaf was to enable me to save up £50K in 24 months, well actually thanks to my wife now contributing to the Leaf replacement + sale of the old car, we’ve hit the saving target in just 12 months. We are getting £150/m back from interest from the savings made as result of me getting the Leaf. The Leaf has cost me 1000kWh of electricity to run over 7000 miles and 12 months (£120), add in £99 service and £350 insurance which means in TOTAL my motoring costs are now about £100/month. Which I’m more than happy with :)

26477925611_8f7744926e_b.jpg

Overall:

As much as I love the EV drivetrain of the Leaf I would say to anyone thinking of getting an EV now I would recommend holding off for another 12 months. The Leaf is cheap, but it is compromised by range. For early adopters who are keen to get involved/experience what the fuss is about it's great (providing you can get it cheap), but for the majority of 'normal' people the range is a killer, and you cannot get around it.

But things are getting better, BMW are due to announce a 50% boost to the battery/range of the i3 this summer. GM are due to deliver their 200mile range EV (Bolt) to customers in the US Q4 2016, and Tesla have taken nearly 500K per-orders for their ‘affordable’, 200 mile range EV, with deliveries starting end of 2017. Nissan will also surely update with Leaf 2016/17 too…..Essentially the tech is getting cheaper/better, and the current generation of cars are on the verge of been replaced/superseded, so waiting is really the most sensible thing to do!!

What next for me:

As much as I enjoy the cheap running costs of the Leaf, I’m now wanting something quicker and with greater range. I could run the Leaf as my main car and get a weekend toy quite easily, but becoming a dad means family duties come first - which means one car to do-it-all. The Leaf contract will expire in around 12 months, and sadly despite been on-sale since 2012 the only real replacement EV I can think of is a Tesla of some kind – Either S or X.

There is no arguing you need a serious wedge of ££££ to get into a Tesla, it’s far from been a ‘people’s’ car, but for us, we are lucky enough to be able to afford one, and as they say....’You only live once’, so why the hell not.

The exact spec/budget is still to be decided, but one thing is for sure, both me and my wife are in 100% agreement our new born daughter is most likely going to grow up with no concept of what a combustion car is. By the time she is old enough to really understand cars we’ll be replacing her Lexus with a similar C-segment sized EV. The combustion car is already dead to our household......I really cannot wait to see what the future holds for the car, all I know is am thankful I’m lucky enough to be alive, and have the financial capacity to experience the coming revolution first hand.

The Leaf will be distant memory in 5-10 years time, but just like my very first car (Nissan Micra), despite it’s lack of range I’ll always remember fondly as the very first EV I ever own, and the first car my daughter experienced :).

26212878340_bc61bdb988_b.jpg

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 4

In before all the haters against the leaf and EV camp - which includes me, but damn those savings are impressive, so I understand the reasoning :)

Now spunk that saved up cash on a P85D or something with a great big V8 ;)

I saw a Tesla taxi yesterday and couldn't believe it :).

Whether or not the EV does become a mainstay is yet to be seen. I still think combined hybrids are the immediate future and maybe alternative clean fuel tech who knows. The ideal home for the EV is in a city at the moment until the range and charging time issue is resolved.

good write up! glad you've had a good year with the car, and certainly £100/month running costs is not too be sniffed at. in fairness, i could make a Leaf work for me - my daily commute is 40 miles total so easily done with charging every night. which would then free me up to get something ridonkulous for the weekends.

however that said i still enjoy the sensations of driving an ICE car with gears day to day, suspect something like a 330e would be more up my street.

I could make a leaf work for me also , unfortunatly my daily is the family car and the 370z cant assume those duties

The wife drives a Prius and 80% she could make one work but once a week she does a 100 mile round trip and has no charging facilites on site

Its a shame , I could get a Tesla (I'm saving for a GTR) and get rid of the daily and the 370z , but £100k is a big wedge of dough

Nice little write up.

Must admit the new mini tesla is a very tempting offer and addresses the main concern of price and range. Interesting times.

And, based on the track record of EV related threads here I'm getting this in early, lets keep this discussion relevant and civil ladies and gents.

I did the maths based on those sums, and I worked out I could get a 1.6 Focus and run that for just an extra £23 a week. Or the price of a good takeaway, if you will. Proper engine, gearbox and noise. ;)

Obvious dig aside, that's a great write up. It's far more honest about the car and the use of it than you've been before, and it's a much better read for it. The para on the long distance was spot-on, and whilst I might say that because it clearly aligns with my own views, it also comes across as wonderfully honest. :)

When you say plug in at home, how is this done? Assuming not via a regular 3-pin plug as you did on the farm!

I think given the choice between a leaf and a 1.6 ford focus, i'd probably take the leaf and pocket the extra cash each week. i mean, a focus isn't going to sound good, and it isn't going to go any faster, and its not going to have a particularly exciting gearchange, so why pay so much more a month?

as long as a humdrum car has aircon, cruise control, a reasonable stereo and comfy seats, i'm not really fussed what propulsion method it employs, i'd just have the cheapest.

• Like 1

I've just forked out £500 to tax my 10 year old beemer :(

if you're comparing a leaf to a zed, then yes i'd have the zed as it actually sounds good, goes well and looks good.

however compare a leaf to any other family hatch (kia ceed, Hyundai i30 or whatever, something humdrum) then why not have the leaf? frankly i'd rather hear nothing at all than the diesel racket most cars make these days.

People obsessed with noise, just pump up the stereo FFS.

Chop in your GTR please :)

:lol: you can F right off, sounds awesome. I have no stereo in it.

Ok I concede based on that.

BUT!!!!! A 1.6 ford sounds like shite anyway.

People obsessed with noise, just pump up the stereo FFS.

Chop in your GTR please :)

:lol: you can F right off, sounds awesome. I have no stereo in it.

Ok I concede based on that.

BUT!!!!! A 1.6 ford sounds like shite anyway.

Another point to make you concede, I believe it was Dedman who mentioned this.... You say turn the music up in the Leaf and forget the noise... But you're sacrificing 20miles for the louder music :lol:

Given the low interest rates right now, any reason you haven't just been and bought the Tesla already? Given you've managed to save £4K a month, you could've put half that on the Tesla monthly payment and still been massively comfortable.

Given the low interest rates right now, any reason you haven't just been and bought the Tesla already? Given you've managed to save £4K a month, you could've put half that on the Tesla monthly payment and still been massively comfortable.

Tesla finance deals arent that attractive