Change from DE to HR

MartynB85

Only crap thing from DE to HR is the slave cylinder placement inside the bell housing apart from that everything else is a bonus on the HR, better engine although most DE owners will disagree, looks a bit better and interior is much nicer, but this is only my opinion though and I'm an HR owner but that's why I bought an HR in the first place.

How odd. What reasons do they give for the DE being better?

It doesn't have the oil gallery problem :lol:

I would buy one just for a decent dipstick :)

The rest is immaterial to me. The facelift revup looks the same bar the bonnet but checking the oil on earlier cars is a pain.

The HR was a run out model and a test bed for the new engine, performance due to a weight disadvantage wasn't that different but the HR I test drove felt more usable if that makes sense.

I bought a DE purely based on the fact I got a good deal and cash my way for mods when I turfed off my M3 :)

I'm one of those who prefers the look of the HR which is why my DE will look like one by the end of the summer :)

Any variant of a Z is cool and I don't go in for this stupid one upmanship as I had enough of that rubbish on Cutters.

Edited by Zeezeebaba
  • Like 1

Well we all want more power 😆😆

I think I just fancy something new, and different. I think the most important thing for me is something that is fun to drive, and feels special not just straight line power. As much as I would love a HR, I don't know if spending an extra 5k over what I have now is worth it.

I'd probably go for an e92 335i but I think I'd find it boring. An s4 v6 is maybe the next choice but now we're talking 370 money. I'll probably end up keeping my 350 at this rate.

• Like 1

Doing the BMW thing or Audi blends you into anonymity on the road. I did the BMW thing and they drive nice but it never felt special because there are so many about and I rarely turned round to glance at them on garage forecourts :). I refuse to buy an Audi because in general the reputation for tractable safety overrides the true driver enjoyment you get from rear drive cars. I did have a moment weakness and look at RS4s and was tempted for about a week.

The Z is a fine looker and they do feel special, I'm currently having a 370 nismo fetish and I know the Z isn't the sharpest but they have grabbed me. My 350 is the first car I've modded and enjoyed doing so. It's become a what can I do next car whilst saving for the 370 :)

I don't think e92 coupes are particularly common, I see plenty of saloons and estates but not that many coupes, and certainly very few with the giveaway dual exhaust tips.

that said, I wouldn't say my 335i was a particularly engaging drive, least not in the form I have it. yes its fast in a straight line, but its too quiet and refined to be that engaging. I think a manual E92 M3 will remedy these things though!

but if its boost you're after, a remapped 335i certainly delivers on that front :drive1

• Like 1

I don't think e92 coupes are particularly common, I see plenty of saloons and estates but not that many coupes, and certainly very few with the giveaway dual exhaust tips.

that said, I wouldn't say my 335i was a particularly engaging drive, least not in the form I have it. yes its fast in a straight line, but its too quiet and refined to be that engaging. I think a manual E92 M3 will remedy these things though!

but if its boost you're after, a remapped 335i certainly delivers on that front :drive1

There are five coupes in my street, my boss has one, my other half's brother has one and I see them everywhere around town lol. Yeah they are common where I live mate ;)

• Like 1

There are five coupes in my street, my boss has one, my other half's brother has one and I see them everywhere around town lol. Yeah they are common where I live mate ;)

I agree. 3 series coupe is one of the most common cars on the road. I've had 3 and loved them all. Great cars but very common. More so than estates IMO.

If I'm honest I'm more of a BMW fan than a jap car fan.

New m2 looks fun.

• 1 month later...

Well I've now kind of decided it will be a 370 or a gt86.

Drove both yesterday and can't quite make up my mind. The 370 felt a little sloppy to be honest (even compared to my lowered 350), has anyone else thought this? Almost like it's not quite connected to the road, however it did feel quite a bit quicker than my DE. I also loved the revmatch on the downshift.

The gt86 felt great to drive but did feel slow, I just don't know if it's enough to keep me entertained. What has anyone here gone from a zed to an 86?

The 370 felt a little sloppy to be honest (even compared to my lowered 350), has anyone else thought this?

The 350 handles better apparently due to the shorter/squarer wheel base, I don't think the 370 is meant to feel sloppy though, possibly an alignment/tyre pressure type issue that's easily rectified?

The GT86 does feel cheaper and of course it's slower, but for me the ride and handling felt far more sophisticated, due mostly to the lighter weight I'd imagine. I enjoy my zed hugely but it felt like it had lead boots on when I drove it straight after an '86.

The GT86 does feel cheaper and of course it's slower, but for me the ride and handling felt far more sophisticated, due mostly to the lighter weight I'd imagine. I enjoy my zed hugely but it felt like it had lead boots on when I drove it straight after an '86.

Yes i agree, forgetting about power for a moment i think the 86 is a nicer drive. The 370 is a clumsy beast in comparison, but theres no doubt that the zed is the better looking.

Yes i agree, forgetting about power for a moment i think the 86 is a nicer drive. The 370 is a clumsy beast in comparison, but theres no doubt that the zed is the better looking.

Hard to forget about the power when you get diesel 4x4's overtaking you

• Like 3

Gt86 is fun to drive but you cant really slide it around public roads like you can at bedford. The zed is blunt by comparison but the power is addictive. Dull engine aside the fiesta st will give you a lot of chassis related thrills for less money than a gt86. Depends how low you wanna go.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

As much as I would love a HR, I don't know if spending an extra 5k over what I have now is worth it.

I think the DE would have to be a recognised lemon for a HR to be worth 5K more.

Like for like, I just don't see 5K of awesome on a HR.

• Like 1

Gt86 is fun to drive but you cant really slide it around public roads like you can at bedford. The zed is blunt by comparison but the power is addictive. Dull engine aside the fiesta st will give you a lot of chassis related thrills for less money than a gt86. Depends how low you wanna go.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I haven't driven a Fiesta ST, but hot hatches have certainly come a long way if the chassis and in particular the steering is as enjoyable as an 86. I might have sounded a bit harsh about the zed's chassis before - it has a lot going for it in its own right I think, but the damping doesn't feel anywhere near as polished as an 86.

As much as I would love a HR, I don't know if spending an extra 5k over what I have now is worth it.

I think the DE would have to be a recognised lemon for a HR to be worth 5K more.

Like for like, I just don't see 5K of awesome on a HR.

I guess it comes down to the subjective value you put on the better engine. Justifying spending more on a faster car in objective terms will always be shaky, but no doubt the DE does most of what the HR does for a chunk less cash.

I have a standard DE & a balls-out HR - so nothing worthwhile to contribute in comparison terms, really.

Americans in particular talk a lot of trash about DE's being slow and rubbish compared to the HR but folk being folk, they will find any excuse to be d*cks about someone elses car.