What should I be paying to change the belts?

nowhereboy

Got both the air con and alternator belt sat here waiting to be fitted, it's going in to the garage tomorrow, they just charged me £80 for oil and filter change which I find a little steep, a little worried they might give me a daft price for the belts.

Am I right in thinking it should be no more than £50 to fit them?

Got both the air con and alternator belt sat here waiting to be fitted, it's going in to the garage tomorrow, they just charged me £80 for oil and filter change which I find a little steep, a little worried they might give me a daft price for the belts.

Am I right in thinking it should be no more than £50 to fit them?

I thought things were cheap up north! Horsham do a whole P1 for £99.

I'd say an hour's labour max, so around £50 seems reasonable... but who knows what garages decide to charge for things...

I'm a sh!te amateur mechanic and I did this job in about an hour! It's not hard at all.

This diagram is useful just ignore the "remove this pulley" comment:

PULLEYSETUP.jpg

Edited by GT Driver

I've got brand new gates belts I bought but they don't fit my new lightennd pullies! Yours for £20 delivered. Cost me 26.

Are they for a de engine Bradders ?. I'll take them off you at that price, mines will be going in for a service after the NC500 trip and will get the belt done too. Could get them off you when you come up for the trip in May

Edited by Irn Bru

I've got brand new gates belts I bought but they don't fit my new lightennd pullies! Yours for £20 delivered. Cost me 26.

Are they for a de engine Bradders ?. I'll take them off you at that price, mines will be going in for a service after the NC500 trip and will get the belt done too. Could get them off you when you come up for the trip in May

I'll let you know i think Craig smith is having them! He dibs first but ill ask him if he wants them 100%

Mine was the HR so only had the one belt. Nissan took well over an hour and a half to do it and charged me £80 when I had the first belt shred on me at 22k miles. When the same thing happened again 20k miles later, I bought a gates belt, and using just a 1/2 t-bar to move the tensioner off and a small allen key to lock it, the job took me just 5 minutes. That was my first time too, and that 5 mins included getting the tools out of the garage.

Id certainly do it myself again, if you take your time you`ll find it straight forward.