plenum off today advice needed

Spatt

I'm taking my polished plenum off today to give it all a good clean and re polish it.

Figured while i was at it some TLC.

So Popcharger to be cleaned using filter cleaner then re oiled

clean throttle body? If so, what with?

clean MAF sensor? should i be touching this, if so what to clean it with?

when i remove the plenum the lower half that has the intake ports are normally dirty, again, good chance for a clean or leave this alone?

I have some liquid brake cleaner and some engine degreaser to hang assume this stuff should be ok to use?

Also, anyone know off hand the torque setting for the plenum when i re fit?

Toyed with a spacer as i dont have one yet but am i really going to see a performance difference?

cheers for any advice guys,

Matt

Careful with those parts, long thread on here recently of someone who did the same and car will not idle properly. Sounds like you have done it before but follow a strict process of disconnecting everything...

• Like 2

Hi Matt I've just had my plenum off as I've just fitted a wasso spacer and blinged the plenum at bit, there's a little difference but think that will go once the ECU has learnt of the change, really need to get the up Rev for full Benifits I believe. The tourqe settings for the plenum bolts are 12.7 Nm from memory but I've been to sleep a couple of times since I did it ! Haha and there's a certain order of which bolts you tighten as well. Might be an idea to take the lower collector plate off as well as there might be some pooling of oil in there from the pcv system.

Edited by SHEZZA

cheers Mark, If i'm feeling up to it i'll remove the lower half to give it a clean.

I have had it all off before but only once. As i figured with the spacer, dont see much point unless i'm going to uprev (which i cant afford)

Plan is get everything off and give it all a good clean for Japfest been a while so its time for some TLC.

I'll grab some carb cleaner from Halfrauds on the way home.

With the throttle body, can i open the valve by hand to clean it properly or will the valve have to stay shut?

cheers Mark, If i'm feeling up to it i'll remove the lower half to give it a clean.

I have had it all off before but only once. As i figured with the spacer, dont see much point unless i'm going to uprev (which i cant afford)

Plan is get everything off and give it all a good clean for Japfest been a while so its time for some TLC.

I'll grab some carb cleaner from Halfrauds on the way home.

With the throttle body, can i open the valve by hand to clean it properly or will the valve have to stay shut?

No worries, I didn't dare touch the throttle body so I left that well alone ! If you do take it off the plenum the four bolts that secure it to the plenum are 8.5 Nm

thanks Wasso. :thumbs:

Dont think i'll be messing about with cleaning the throttle body too much then.

Will i have to disconnect battery and leave for 30 mins when i put it all back together? I had to do that when i changed my air intake system to the Popcharger.

Also, Gaskets? Are there any gaskets i need to change should be prepared to change? there is a rubber one for the Popcharger but its only two years old and should be ok.

Edited by Spatt

Be careful of the plenum gasket as its easily bended. As per the guide Wasso sent you make sure you remove and re-install the bolts in the right order and DONT over torque them. Had mine off a few times and its fairly straight forward. I cut out a piece of cardboard, drew the plenum on it and pushed the bolts into the card in the position they are on the plenum. They are different lengths and its easy to get it wrong or miss one. No need to do it but I did whilst I was learning. I also took my TB off to paint it but didn't dare clean it as I had heard a few horror stories and didn't want to run the risk of having one myself.

Edited by Payco

Thats a good hint i might just do that if they're all different lengths, better than throwing them all in a tin and not knowing what goes where thats for sure.

Bit worried about all the stuff at the end of the PDF about resetting throttle and ECU but with luck that shouldn't affect me at all, i just want to remove it to clean it up.

Good luck. I always take a few photos on my iphone too before starting work as I find once I get going I start to remove stuff at pace out of keenness and will almost certainly get to a point where I wasn't sure on how it looked before.

If you've never cleaned out the TB, do it while its all apart. I did mine the other week and moved the butterfly manually in doing so. Very mucky and even more grime at the top of the TB as this is were more of the air passes (butterfly tilts top in, bottom out)

Long as you carry out the re learnign process with a warm engine, you'll be fine. I noticed much better idle after doing so.

Plenum spacer is a good mod, remap or no remap and ideally should be fitted prior to uprev anyways so make sense to slide it in while the plenum, intake and strut brace are off - saves doing the job twice.

David

If you've never cleaned out the TB, do it while its all apart. I did mine the other week and moved the butterfly manually in doing so. Very mucky and even more grime at the top of the TB as this is were more of the air passes (butterfly tilts top in, bottom out)

Long as you carry out the re learnign process with a warm engine, you'll be fine. I noticed much better idle after doing so.

Plenum spacer is a good mod, remap or no remap and ideally should be fitted prior to uprev anyways so make sense to slide it in while the plenum, intake and strut brace are off - saves doing the job twice.

David

Yes i agree but maybe next year, i would like to fit the plenum and do the uprev all in one go to get maximum performance improvments but i simply cant afford it right now.

watch you dont trap the rubber oil filler surround inbetween the plenum also, you will see what I mean when you get there

I know what you mean i remember this being an issue when i changed it last time.

Resetting the throttle body doesn't look easy. i hope i dont have to do this, though i have noticed some idling issues from time to time though it has never worried me, just some fluctuations when warming up with idle speeds

Hi guys managed to get it all off (eventually) damn coolant hoses i presume they are at inlet of the plenum where a pain in the ass to get off.

You can see it needs a good clean

20160413_185714_resized_zpsmhb1jzxo.jpg

TB isn't looking too bad but i'm defo going to hit it with some carb cleaner trying not to move the valve

20160413_191720_resized_zpsalhplmuz.jpg

20160413_191728_resized_zpstmcg8swz.jpg

the inside of the plenum is very oily, i wondered if i was over oiling my intake filter but is the oil coming from somewhere else? i read that its normal for it to be oily so no worries right?

thanks for the help, hoping to put it all back together over the weekend

Careful with those parts, long thread on here recently of someone who did the same and car will not idle properly. Sounds like you have done it before but follow a strict process of disconnecting everything...

Would that be my thread by any chance? :(http://www.350z-uk.c...i-done-goofed/

Throttle body clean has caused me far more trouble than it was worth. I was also mega careful to disconnect battery and the throttle bodies themselves before touching the butterfly. The whole experience was a bit of a kick in the nuts as well as the ego. I'm not 100% convinced that it is entirely resolved yet either, idle is fine a lot of the time now but occasionally it is still throwing a wobbler.

Edit: worth noting that I have the HR with 2 throttle bodies, which I suspect contributed to my nightmare.

Edited by jowen7448

It has just become more confusing if anything. Now it's at the point where most of the time it seems to be ok, but occasionally it will be temperamental but there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it which is mega frustrating. For example yesterday, I drove the car 50 miles, no hint of any issues, on way home went to fill up. On starting up again with a full tank of fuel the idle was surging each time I stopped for lights etc. I might think ok, hot start seems to be when it has occurred but previous experience over the last week doesn't marry up. It does seem to be getting better with each longer run out though so I don't know if various parameters are being relearned etc. I have a couple of long journeys scheduled in the next month so hoping (read praying with everything crossed) that it continues to get better and just gets put down to one of life's mysteries. This car has more sensors and electronic wizardry than anything else I have ever owned.

I reiterate I suspect that having two throttle bodies on which I moved both butterflies is making life worse as they need to be working together. I believe you have just the one so you may not have quite so much trouble.

The pedal dance itself isn't too bad once you memorise the steps and use a stopwatch to time it all. But having spoken to Mark@Abbey about this a fair amount now something I didn't realise before hand was that if a whole host of other parameters aren't within the right range the reset procedure won't complete. E.g if the idle is above 900 (which mine was) it won't finish, whether the car is running open loop or closed loop, steering wheel should be dead straight, no electronic load from aircon/radio etc.

Edit: Mark's other suggestion (other than don't bother doing again) was that if I do decide to do it again, disconnect the ECU itself, not just the battery, as there is residual power which won't have drained. Something I didn't do (I did of course disconnect battery before unplugging throttle bodies).

Ps I am not trying to scare you etc, this was just my experience. I could well have done something stupid without realising. You could well be 100% fine. Good luck.

Edited by jowen7448

oh man that really sucks, i hope it goes away for you,

well basically i started pulling things off the car so disconnected the electronics from the MAF and the electronics from the Throttle Body but never bothered to unplug anything else (like the battery)

i think im going to spray with with some carb cleaner and not touch the actual valve inside just wipe off what i can. hope to god when it all goes back together that it runs fine otherwise i'll be making a trip to a local garage.

taking the plenum off was a pain in the ass i dont want to have to do it again thats for sure!!

oh man that really sucks, i hope it goes away for you,

well basically i started pulling things off the car so disconnected the electronics from the MAF and the electronics from the Throttle Body but never bothered to unplug anything else (like the battery)

i think im going to spray with with some carb cleaner and not touch the actual valve inside just wipe off what i can. hope to god when it all goes back together that it runs fine otherwise i'll be making a trip to a local garage.

taking the plenum off was a pain in the ass i dont want to have to do it again thats for sure!!

If you do stuff up somehow, before going to a local garage I would suggest giving Mark@Abbey a call and chat through what you did and the symptoms showing. He may be able to help or point you in the right direction rather than leading you down a money sucking rabbit hole of part changing that can occasionally be the issue with a local (even a good one) if they aren't sure what the issue is.

Anyway fingers crossed for you mate. I wouldn't wish upon anyone to share my annoying experience. It rather takes away from what is otherwise a lovely car.