Driving Licence - Paper / plastic

ioneabee

I've been told my paper licence is now defunct and not relevant anymore

is this true

does it apply to everyone who was issued with a paper one / do they only issue plastic ones now ?

They got rid of the paper counterpart for us plastic license holders, you don't need to do anything unless yours becomes impossible to read or you move house etc.

"The paper licence will continue to be valid - at least until it needs to renewed. "Those who have an old style paper driving licence issued before the photocard was introduced in 1998, this change won't affect you, and you should keep your licence."

except the paper one doesn't expire until I'm 70 something ???

Yes, I still have the paper one as I haven't changed address since 1979. I will need to renew it soon though :surrender: . I did read that you lose some of your rights when you reach 70, when I passed my test in 1969 it gave me rights to drive some weird and wonderful things.....like a road roller :lol: . I should still have a motorbike licence though.

Pete

I've got both, but the plastic one is now out of date

just been on DVLA - apparently they can't match up the details i'm supplying ............... jeez don't you just love bureaucracy

so, because I've got both does that mean my paper one is null and void

I've got both, but the plastic one is now out of date

just been on DVLA - apparently they can't match up the details i'm supplying ............... jeez don't you just love bureaucracy

so, because I've got both does that mean my paper one is null and void

Yes, and the photocard has to be updated every 10 years. If you've been issued a plastic one the paper one isn't valid anymore.

If your plastic one is out of date, you cannot drive until you've been issued a new one. To do so is to drive other than in accordance with a licence, and gives hefty points and a fine.

I threw my paper bit away last year.

F'ING HELL

DVLA said I'm ok to drive !!!!! :surrender:

however, because my passport is out of date .......... i can't renew on-line - need a D1 form - click the link - 404 error, no such file :rant::surrender:

so, help me god !!!!!! - incompetent a**holes

If your plastic one is out of date, you cannot drive until you've been issued a new one. To do so is to drive other than in accordance with a licence, and gives hefty points and a fine.

I threw my paper bit away last year.

hope you shredded it

I refer to my previous comments :dry:

well technically - I've applied (ordered the forms) :blush:

so, I meet their criteria

looking at the plastic one - i've been driving without a licence for 6 years and 6 months :surrender:

oh, dear

Unless you've sent the completed forms off, you really don't meet that criteria at all mate. Not being a pain here (well, no more so than usual!) but I honestly wouldn't be driving unless I had a written letter from the DVLA confirming that they are happy for you to do so. You risk being uninsured too, which is arguably a bigger risk than just being done for not driving in accordance.

You can download the forms from the interweb, get it sent off today then you're covered :)

I refer to my previous comments :dry:

looking at the plastic one - i've been driving without a licence for 6 years and 6 months :surrender:

oh, dear

Anyone got the number for crime stoppers :lol: