New York, New York!!!

350 Russ

I'm looking to spend a week in the big apple at the end of September for the Mrs birthday pressie, any recommendations of where to go and what to see besides the obvious? Also any recommended Broadway shows? I'll be going to the new cirque du soliel as she will enjoy that but any other recommendations more that welcome.

Don't bother with Empire State Building. "Top of the Rock" at the Rockafeller Centre is a much better view.

If you're into How I Met Your Mother the pub that Maclarens is based on is worth a visit. Does good food and good beer.

It's on West 55th and called McGees

The hidden burger joint in the Le Parker Meridian Hotel is epic.

Shows - Avenue Q and Book of Mormon would be top of my list

• Like 4

Depends what kind of think you're in to I guess. Museum of Modern Art is interesting. The 9/11 memorial I think is a must visit, you'll need to book for a guided tour, but it's worth it.

If you want to try a great little bar/pub, head to the Dead Rabbit in the financial district, not far from Battery Park. Also agree that the Top of the Rock is a better view than the Empire State. Try visiting the Statue of Liberty / Ellis Island, both are really worth visiting.

Food wise, try Yerba Buena Perry, pan Latin American restaurant, great atmosphere. You could try visiting the USS Intrepid, really interesting floating museum.

Don't forget the Gugenheim museum, Grand Central Station, The Flat Iron Building, great place near there called Eataly. Which is like a great indoor Italian based food market / series of restaurants.

You could also think about wandering along the Brooklyn Bridge for a bit, wander through Little Italy and China Town ( China town feels a bit rough to be honest).

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 2

If you get the time get a bus/train/taxi to New Jersey for the skyline at night. Cities in Asia are getting close but the sheer size of Manhattan is still impressive.

10967570514_9b1dc122f7_b.jpg

World trade centre memorial is sad/amazing at the same time, I was lucky enough to go to the top of the two towers years ago, hard to believe how the world had changed since.

10908701336_d9b7005bf3_b.jpg

View from the empire state at Sunset is still pretty impressive.

10908497424_aceec14fc3_b.jpg

Grand central station is worth a visit, but I have a feeling it's just a bit less special these days with Apple having taken over half the first floor.

11179788153_5241492f9e_b.jpg

Been a few times.Best showing I have ever seen of phantom of the opera on Broadway.Much better than in London.

I thought the opposite.

In fact, every show I've seen on Broadway has always been a poorer version of the West End.

Been a few times too.

Real hidden gem of a bar called 'Barcade' on 24th St, just off 7th. Over 100 original arcade machines with lots of craft beers on tap.

Last time i was over there I ended up getting hammered and playing NBA jam amongst others until 2am with two yanks and an Iraqi that i'd just met. Then walked about 2 miles back to my hotel on my own in the snow. Great times.

Whether you do Top of the Rock or the Empire State, make sure you go up during the daylight but stay there until after dark. Each is a unique experience, and probably my favorite thing to do in NYC.

Also if you're into The Sopranos, i recommend the tour. I did this and it was epic. i got to meet Vito from the show, and it finished up with an hour in the Bada Bing!

One of the good things about Grand Central is if you head right downstairs. You can grab a bite to eat at the Oyster bar. There's also a decent bar at the bottom of the Empire State where you can grab a craft beer or two.

I would also think about, if you fancy it, going to a baseball game. Although to be honest, if you're going to do that, go to see the Metz out at City Field on the A Train. Much cheaper than seeing the Yankee's, a proper baseball atmosphere and good fun (just watch the pockets on the A train).

thanks for all the replies folks :thumbs: ives just been having a look at where to eat out there thats recommended (I'm more Crystal Palace than Buckingham Palace) and some of the pizza joints in little italy look unreal!

Been a few times too.

Real hidden gem of a bar called 'Barcade' on 24th St, just off 7th. Over 100 original arcade machines with lots of craft beers on tap.

Last time i was over there I ended up getting hammered and playing NBA jam amongst others until 2am with two yanks and an Iraqi that i'd just met. Then walked about 2 miles back to my hotel on my own in the snow. Great times.

Whether you do Top of the Rock or the Empire State, make sure you go up during the daylight but stay there until after dark. Each is a unique experience, and probably my favorite thing to do in NYC.

Also if you're into The Sopranos, i recommend the tour. I did this and it was epic. i got to meet Vito from the show, and it finished up with an hour in the Bada Bing!

Yep huge fan of the sopranos, seen every one. Id love to do that but not sure the Mrs would like to spend an hour in a strip club. (is it actually a strip club?)

thanks for all the replies folks :thumbs: ives just been having a look at where to eat out there thats recommended (I'm more Crystal Palace than Buckingham Palace) and some of the pizza joints in little italy look unreal!

Been a few times too.

Yep huge fan of the sopranos, seen every one. Id love to do that but not sure the Mrs would like to spend an hour in a strip club. (is it actually a strip club?)

Ah if you're a fan then it's a must!

It also stops at the diner from the final scene of the final episode and you get to sit in tony's seat. At The Bing, yes it's a strip club but it's not topless (against the law in the state of New Jersey apparently!). You get to go outside and see the carpark round the back and all sorts. Well worth it.

Meeting Vito

386092_10150474514561086_2098618716_n_zpsiphiayru.jpg

Tony's seat in the final episode

375218_10150474515781086_1917308938_n_zpsbskdzjvq.jpg

The view, from standing outside Satriale's Pork Store

394639_10150474514991086_2021988813_n_zpsx2yxsedf.jpg

• Like 1