is Microsoft forcing Windows 10 on eligible PC's ?

ioneabee

as above really

a friend has just contacted me with "I have received a message from Microsoft informing me that they intend to upgrade my computer to Windows 10 on the 10 March whether I want it or not. There seems to be no way of avoiding this other than delaying the upgrade by a few days."

anyone know anything about this ?

As a rule, unless they're using a particularly unique piece of software OR running a complex set of PCs over a local intranet, then Win10 is a smashing OS and they'd be wise to take the free upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, I liked 7 and 8.1, but 10 really is an a different level. It's even made it possible to run some really old DOS stuff that refused to do anything on the older systems, so I'm all for it. But yes, you can permanently disable the update by installing third-party software that can block it.

Win10 is a heck of a lot smoother than the current iOS release. Tbh I almost feel like iOS is starting to become a bit bloatware, with Windows being the more streamlined experience. As an Apple fan, I'd never have thought I'd be saying that!

• Like 1

I can't comment as I haven't tried Win 10 and probably won't in the near future, interesting though as I do feel Apple have lost their way a bit since SJ popped his clogs. The next year or so will be critical for Apple imo.

I'm still on Win98

All my PC's are on Windows XP, only my laptops, 4 of them, are on upgradeable machines. I still have some old PC's with either Win 98 or 2000 on them. These are no longer used but should still work :lol:

Pete

I'm still on Win98

All my PC's are on Windows XP, only my laptops, 4 of them, are on upgradeable machines. I still have some old PC's with either Win 98 or 2000 on them. These are no longer used but should still work :lol:

Pete

I installed Win98 on any system I built for quite some time. I found XP to be clunky at the time.

getting back on topic ...... sort of

does anyone know what the hell is up with Windows update - new installation of 7 on a laptop, says checking for updates, but actually doesn't - I've had this before - it seems to take several days (or more) before it actually decides to do something - anyone have a work round ?