Electric Cars

Flex

i only hope that the current technology for EVs and the like is better than it is for Wind turbines and Solar farms. Both are a false economies. Wind turbines - AKA - bird killers, do not get repaired due to the cost, which is apparently more than manufacturing one AND you still have to turn them on, i.e. you still need energy to get the buggers going. Solar panels use more energy in the process of manufacturing than they return in their 15 year lifetime. Dumb and Dumber.

Edited by Rock_Steady

Wind farms do get repaired, they tend to break down only when they are supplied with duff parts otherwise are pretty robust.

It seems a simple decision at the moment, there are people that really don't care how they get from A-B and grouped in with them are people that generally do not care for cars, they will want to go EV with a passion. Then there are people that enjoy the mechanical theatre of driving, so why would you want that taken away from you, you wont go EV. You will get people that are lucky enough to be able to afford both, but at the moment they are a tiny %.

It seems to me that EV makers want to on the whole go down a route of creating cars like out of sci fi movies with everything digital in the cabin and no noise with futuristic swooshes on the bodywork. Personally, I don't like the look, sound or interior in that way hence the thumbs down on EV cars from me.

Wind farms do get repaired, they tend to break down only when they are supplied with duff parts otherwise are pretty robust.

It seems a simple decision at the moment, there are people that really don't care how they get from A-B and grouped in with them are people that generally do not care for cars, they will want to go EV with a passion. Then there are people that enjoy the mechanical theatre of driving, so why would you want that taken away from you, you wont go EV. You will get people that are lucky enough to be able to afford both, but at the moment they are a tiny %.

It seems to me that EV makers want to on the whole go down a route of creating cars like out of sci fi movies with everything digital in the cabin and no noise with futuristic swooshes on the bodywork. Personally, I don't like the look, sound or interior in that way hence the thumbs down on EV cars from me.

If you enjoy the mechanical theatre of driving you wouldnt buy a diesel or an automatic or a forced induction car for that matter

Genuine question now: If the batteries are improving in size, does it not take longer to charge them?

The rate of charge tapers down after about 80-90% charge status, even on a Tesla supercharger it only charges at 120KW when the battery is under 50%, infact the larger the battery the higher the charge rate can be sustained for. A 85kWh battery pack chargers quicker and harder than a 60kWh, and by a decent margin. A 100kWh battery pack will charge quicker again compared to a 85kWh pack. Add in the fact a 100kWh pack will undergo less re-charge cycles for the same distance covered therefore will supper less degradation due to recharging, it's a no-brainer to go for a 100kWh pack over a 85kWh version.

If you charging to 100% than yes, a 100kWh pack will take longer, but not by much on a supercharger. Once over 80% charge all the packs taper to the same charge rate, and the 100kWh pack will get to 80% almost the same speed as the 85kWh due to been able to handle a higher rate of charge for longer. When charging overnight it makes next to no difference the size of the pack, since unless you charging up from absolutely 0%, a 8-10hr overnight charge will deliver 70kWh+ of electricity, which at 3 miles per kWh is 210miles+ range.

No one has seen just how much usable battery capacity the 100kWh Tesla pack will have, but even if they leave 10% for bricking protection and 3 miles per kWh that's 270 miles of real life range. My old 335i use to get barely more than on a tank of fuel. I wasn't going to order a brand new Model S, but if the 100kWh pack version really does deliver more than 250 miles+ of range it'll be hard not to go for that version. Especially if the rumour about Tesla uprating the superchargers to 150KW is ture.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

So yes then.

Also, how you managed to only get 270mi from a 335i is beyond me. I get 400 without trying on the 645!

Dan 400 miles on a tank on a 4.4 V8 you've already been renamed fluffy do you want to lose your petrol head status as well ? :)
  • Like 1

I own the LEAF. Love it.....I beat kmost of the guys here at work in their VRX zafira, R32 Golf.

Wait..wut? Beat them how?

Off the line. They can't get away from me until about 60 mph. And where I live most roads are 50mph max.

I save £80 a month from the fuel cost of when I was using my z Daily - means more money to spend on the z project. So as I keep saying for the journeys I do. It's perfect! I haven't regretted it I haven't bought it on the principle of a hobby or looks. Purely cost saving from my pocket.

So yes then.

Actually if your charging to a set range/percentage the answer is NO. The bigger the battery the quicker it charges, rapid charging rates are limited by ability of the battery to take in high rates of charge not necessary by the power of the charger.

Think of it like filling a tank through a funnel. The rate limiting step isn't always the flow into the funnel, but the size of the funnel. Current battery technology means the bigger the battery the bigger the funnel can be, which in turn means faster charging. In theory a 150KW rapid charger should be able to deliver 2.5kWh per minute (7.5 miles or range), but in reality there is currently no battery with a big enough funnel to allow that kind of power transfer to be sustained for more than the initial 10-30% of battery capacity.

Edited by gangzoom

Yup but 0-30 is quicker than a lot of cars out there. No turbo lag. Instant torque. No time delay between gear changes.

Well done u know the book 0-60 is less than 10 secs. But we ain't all racing drivers.

Bored now. Where's the remove me from this content? Lol.