Any other mods before map?

Luke350

Hi all. Been talking to chris at Tarmac. He's been fantastic with advice and speedy replies. Couldn't recommend enough. I'm looking at an invidia gemini cat back system and cobra/berk HFCs and then mapping at TDI North. 2 questions

I've been told plenum spacer isn't required as mine is a HR. And headers aren't worth the money. Is this true?

Can anybody think of anything else I should do before taking to TDI for the map? Don't want to miss anything before mapping.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's correct regarding the plenum spacer. Nissan fixed that with the HR :)

I think the thing with headers is that they're a ball ache to fit, like coldel said. You will see a power gain from what I've read (and it'll change / improve the sound). Only you can decide if it's worth the cash - lots of people would say any modification is a waste of money ;)

Manifolds (US = headers) ;)

They are already good in the HR - just have a look at the design, it's us lot with the DE that have not so good ones.

It's one of those jobs that'll take at least 5hrs (most say 8), so it'll be easier having the engine out and doing other stuff at the same time if you have the time/cash/patience.

(on the bottom)

IMG_4086.jpg

Basically you're asking about 'bolt on' upgrades rather than getting into the guts of it right ?

• Like 1

Good to know Rich, it still seems like an Americanism.

Either way - it's those bendy bits that come out of the engine :lol:

& you can see that the HR design is already pretty good, so I personally wouldn't change them unless you are putting a fully designed system in or trying to change the sound perhaps ? :thumbs:

(if you do, I'll buy your HR bendy bits)/

Some great replies. Thanks very much. Very much appreciated. Yes getting panel filters. Not sure on k&n or cosworth but from other threads I've seen its a toss of a coin. Unless people would suggest one or the other?

From changing the stock headers on my 2005 DE I gained the below but this is bang on what I was expecting .

+ 6 BHP and + 5.5 LB/FT

WP_20150717_0031_zpspgaw3fmf.jpg

WP_20150716_0011_zpss60qam6a.jpg

001_zpspncvv7eg.jpg

wy have i not seen this dyno before? it doesnt come up in searches. :)

good job on the before / after dyno.

which brand of manifold was this one?

cheers

(yea i also use manifold if im on Uk forums, headers in US. but i think Jez is actually accurate :) )

Worth searching on the US forums - but one thing which should be obvious - stick to a very high quality brand and material.

The last thing you want is the bugger cracking :lol:

As I'm on the DE engine rather than the op's HR, I'm going with Tomei or HR bendy bits.

(or PPE Long tubes if feeling a bit flush - which is never basically)

Edited by RobPhoboS

From changing the stock headers on my 2005 DE I gained the below but this is bang on what I was expecting .

+ 6 BHP and + 5.5 LB/FT

WP_20150717_0031_zpspgaw3fmf.jpg

WP_20150716_0011_zpss60qam6a.jpg

001_zpspncvv7eg.jpg

wy have i not seen this dyno before? it doesnt come up in searches. :)

They are the DC sport ones in S/S .

Regards

Alan

good job on the before / after dyno.

cheers

(yea i also use manifold if im on Uk forums, headers in US. but i think Jez is actually accurate :) )

Ye and k&n are red. Just had a huge service inc plugs and all filters and fluids. What gains should I expect from doing the above after uprev?

Have a look at the dyno results thread, and er obviously your specific HR motor :teeth:

Good to know Rich, it still seems like an Americanism.

It is an "Americanism" Rob imo.

English dictionary (Collins) definition for "manifold"...

Noun
  • a chamber or pipe with a number of inlets or outlets used to collect or distribute a fluid. In an internal-combustion engine the inlet manifold carries the vaporized fuel from the carburettor to the inlet ports and the exhaust manifold carries the exhaust gases away

...and another here;

Exhaust manifolds are generally simple cast iron or stainless steel units which collect engine exhaust gas from multiple cylinders and deliver it to the exhaust pipe.

A "header" in good old English is "a shot or pass made with the head in football". :dry: Yes I dislike "Americanisms". :lol::D