Wheel advice needed - chrome alert

GeorgeW

Hi cleaners.

Basically I am scared with what I can use on my wheels. They are 20'' SSW part chrome part painted. On past cars I would just used a general alloy spray from the supermarket, but this needs a bit more care!

So questions:

1. are normal alloy cleaners ok for chrome.

2. if yes, which would you recommend for mine?

3. same question, but how to applicate the cleaner, microfibre/ brush etc?

here are the offending - and dirty wheels in question

IMG_1644_zpsatu9qf6z.jpg

Edited by GeorgeW

Because I didn't realize how active his thread still was, and it was getting confusing, i didn't realize your answer was for me etc, so its better having them separate.

But now you're here, I dont know if I need something stronger than just shampoo, as I have tried a bit of alloy cleaner and the black gunk doesn't come off

no they are chrome, they are just dirty in the photo, when they are clean they come up like a mirror...in the places where I can clean my hand!

The places in question are the hard to reach parts where a going over with a metal cleaner would be tough, I was hoping there was a way to do it with a liquid cleaner of some sort and a brush?

I think thats not a bad idea Dan, it would be nice to clean the whole thing. I did try and get a quote for a refurbish but no one will touch the chrome. Saying that the chrome itself isn't that bad, it just needs a dam good clean, which is why I am wondering if the quality cleaners people are suggesting on the other thread might be too strong for chrome

Chuck some metal polish on the hard to get to bits and use an old toothbrush to really get it into the small parts. It'll be a bit of a bugger to polish out where the paste has got into the small areas but another little clean brush should help with that.

^^^^^ don't do that!

The answer entire depends on whether the wheels are clearcoated or not;

Clearcoat, use anything but be aware that overly acidic or overly alkali can cause massive problems if misused. Stick to something relatively ph neutral.

If not clearcoated, best to stick to the safest option, that being shampoo and chemical paint cleaners (without abrasives) if needed. Auto Finesse Revolution would be a good place to start. Depending on what the "black gunk" is, you may need either tar remover, iron remover or both to get them clean. Degrease is also an option.

Just don't use toothbrushes! That will scratch and swirl the surface up as much as wet sanding...

My dad had a polished lip on his wheels, had to use a scourer/steel wool every fortnight as they just turn black with road dirt that can't be washed off.

Had them refurbished and painted a fresh lacquer on top to try and prevent it, but that only lasted 2 months and essentially the same happened again, only now the lacquer would lock in the dirt and it would be stuck there underneath!

Maybe try getting them painted a different colour?

It will not matter what you use if you don't keep on top of them, they are very very dirty for chrome wheels :thumbs:

Thats flood water for you, I actually cleaned them last week, that photo was yesterday - I use the car every day and in this weather its not going to stay shiny for long!

My dad had a polished lip on his wheels, had to use a scourer/steel wool every fortnight as they just turn black with road dirt that can't be washed off.

Had them refurbished and painted a fresh lacquer on top to try and prevent it, but that only lasted 2 months and essentially the same happened again, only now the lacquer would lock in the dirt and it would be stuck there underneath!

Maybe try getting them painted a different colour?

I did consider getting them sprayed, but I really like the chrome with the red paintwork, so that would be a last resort.

I do have chrome cleaner, but that only works if the wheel is clean, my main concern is giving them a good clean in the first place.

Edited by GeorgeW

Never had chrome wheels but wondered if the info in this article offers an option - SILVO, mainly for ease of use as I did use it to keep the chrome tips on the 350/370 exhaust tips shiney, although from time to time Autosol was used to help clear the inside of the tips as well as the outsides. Worked OK for me for several years.

http://www.ifranks.com/cleaning-silver

Stick em in a bowl of cheap coke ;-)

Serious though as much as I'd never do it on a customers car me and Chris did it on his chrome wheel trims from his van.......what coke does to your insides god only knows!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I am about to do my first order from 'Autobrite', for purple rain, deep gloss shampoo, drying towell etc. but I would like some sort of brush for the wheels. Again, I am nervous about the chrome - are wheel brushes ok for this? I saw back in the post that the toothbrush idea is bad, so is this the same?

Thanks for that, I have had a look. Seems to be the same sort of thing as I was looking at.

I rang Autobrite for some advice, they suggest a micro fibre brush for the chrome, which looks about right. I am going to place the order this afternoon in case anyone wants to leap in and warn me off them for any reason

a bit of an update. I gave the cars a quick wash at the weekend. And I mean quick. The wheels had a spray of demon shine foam (which is absolute rubbish, and no way classed as a 'foam gun') and brush with the lambs mit. I have ordered some iron out etc to try and break the back of the crap on them, and I have now got some chrome polish which I will whip out when the weather is better, but you can see in the photo why I looked into a refurb, I dont know if the chrome will ever come up

IMG_1670_zps62tfihpo.jpg

They arent chrome, they are polished metal and they will be clearcoated so metal polish will have little or no effect. Pretty much anything will work (I use Autoglym Professional) but FFS dont leave it on for too long.

For reference as well, true chrome rims are nigh on impossible to get refurbed, rather than wearing down the chrome coating actually flakes off and needs to be electroplated back on again. And to prove its not easy to tell, the fronts below are polished, the rears are chromed, can you see the difference? ;)

20120913_093904_zps198329e1.jpg

Once chrome or ally has gone, you will never get it back and if they are chrome, be prepared, whatever you do for a pain in the a&&. You will need to get them dipped to remove the chrome (sand blasting etc just wont work) and then you will not find anyone willing to rechrome ally without paying an absolutely ridiculous amount and they are a one piece wheel, even harder. So your left with having to get them polished/diamond cut, no bad thing, but then you face the dilemma of keeping them clean and shiny, unless you lacquer them, which will eventually end up with the dreaded white worm as water gets under via small stone chips and it will still cost loads. Welcome to the world of wanting shiny rims ;)

To be fair and no offence, they are cheap, not very pleasant rim and they are 20's, you would be better off living with it for as long as you can, flog them on and put all that money towards something else in a 18" or 19" variety. They are just not worth the cost of refurbing, your probably looking at an absolute minimum of £500.

They arent chrome, they are polished metal and they will be clearcoated so metal polish will have little or no effect. Pretty much anything will work (I use Autoglym Professional) but FFS dont leave it on for too long.

Christ I have been living a lie! It doesnt help that I cant even find out what these dam wheels are! not even the company who made them will reply.

I guess that brings me closer to sorting them. cheers mate

'Jetpilot' they came with the car, and too be honest, I like the look of them. But I have already looked into what you suggest. I think the next step when its time is putting on some 18's, spacers and dropping it. but I am reluctant to do this at the moment as I like the rims!

Some of the more obscure rims are a nightmare for this kind of thing, try finding new lips for them if you want a REAL challenge :lol:

Im with JP on this one, you might well find that its easier just to buy a set of Rotas or S/H jap rims and maybe keep these as winters or alternatives. That said, if youre dead set on keeping them any decent refurb shop should be able to confirm that they are polished and Id imagine bring them back to life for about £60-70 per corner :)

I have had another dig, and found that they are 'SSW (stamford sport wheels) S062 Omega' wheels. But no idea how much they are worth etc. I have not long put a set of falken rubbers on the rear, so would be a shame to not get my money out of them. My main concern is how heavy they are, not sure what 18's would be like, as people say '18 for speed, 19-20 for show' but god these weigh a ton!