Cold Callers

ioneabee

I bought an 0844 number four years ago and use that when filling out forms, quotes, purchases, etc.

Only a tenner. I earn about £40 a year from it. It's in my interest to keep them on the phone. Even my recorded message sounds like I'm having trouble hearing you, and designed to keep you holding lol.

I use the chrome plugin "Mask me" for email addresses.

Edited by Juggalo
  • Like 3

Or you could just put a fake number in, like 01234 567890. Job done.

Ha, I usually do exactly that and never had any problems until this year. I sorted the wifes car insurance out a few months back, then about a week later get a letter saying they have cancelled my insurance due to suspicious fraud activity detected. I called up and after much discussion with their fraud team it transpired that whilst they did have my correct phone number, they also had the one I used on confused.com to prevent spam callers which was 01234 567890 and apparently they had linked that with about 2000 insurance estimates/policies which triggered their suspicious activity monitor. Despite me confirming all my details and pointing out clearly they had my correct phone number already, I still then had to send through loads of evidence to them to prove both myself & my wifes details/address etc before they would re-instate the car insurance.

We have a call bar on our number, it requires any "number witheld" or "unknown number" or other commercial number to anoune themselves - they actually have to announce their name. If its someone cold calling, they have to speak, then we don't need to pick the call up. To be honest......we have some of our family do that too, we tell them its a 'feature' :D

Or you could just put a fake number in, like 01234 567890. Job done.

the trouble with that is - on the whole you need to give a genuine contact number for a supplier ?

If they're a reputable company then they can have my proper number, but for stuff like getting random insurance quotes I always use fake details, and the house next door to me for the address part. Once I know who I need to look for to get proper quotes, then I can be selective about the details I give out.