Disadvantages of an Import?

davidv10

I am looking at getting the following car:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Nissan-350-Z-53947-Miles-/231774646647?hash=item35f6d87177:g:8iEAAOSwnH1WZFDS

It is an import, so i was wondering if there are any disadvantages to an import?

Are all parts going to be the same?

Are the headlights going to be ok?

Is there anything else to be aware of?

Thanks for all advice and opinions :)

First off, looks like a facelift model to me which was 06 not 05 (UK), unless the facelift was released earlier in jdm, very possibly.

Main difference between uk and jdm

brembos (above has brembos)

leather (above has leather)

cruise control/audio controls (cant quite see the above)

rear bumper (jdm nicer)

headlights no difference on this example being a facelift

alloys (above has the gt4 edition alloys, not as light as rays but same sizes)

So not a lot of difference on this example :)

Edited by Jetpilot

Isn't the JDM restricted which requires a remap to remove?

Not really a disadvantage as many get uprev or a converter at circa £50 will remove and do you need to go over 112mph anyway officer.

Should imagine this has been converted anyway :)

• Like 1

JDM can have a 112mph restriction - although mine didn't but had the uprev done for other reasons . There's a heap of information on the differences on the forums - one interesting thing to note is the JDM's tend not to be under sealed so just a thought as we come into winter/salt etc

JDM's have flares ( couldn't resist that!)

• Like 1

SAT-Navs don't work but can be made to work. Not many fans of the birdview system.

Carwings systems on the late models, uselsss in this country although I heard a rumour they have adopted it for the Leaf so who knows if the older ones will work.

The UK spec has 10 litres extra capacity, which makes it heavier on a full tank.

Imports will have an aftermarket fog light that you'd do well to find before you need it. Just saying.

I'm clutching at straws for differences now

First off, looks like a facelift model to me which was 06 not 05 (UK), unless the facelift was released earlier in jdm, very possibly.

Yeah, facelift came out in Japan approx October 2005.

One difference I noted was that this one doesn't have headlight washers, obviously they can't be required in Japan. Strictly speaking they are required on Bi-Xenons but I've yet to hear of one failing its MOT without them.

Pete

Check for the underseal as mentioned, but be aware to look for a bill to show it undersealed at import not done to cover rust after being here for some time.

If it came through a respectable import company the speedo should be converted so all running in miles, the speed limiter can be removed via uprev but if you have no plans to track it then its irrelevant really.

You need the fog light on the back, often importers just chuck on an ugly square one that hangs from the bumper which people take off once its through the IVA but be aware its an MoT fail.

But really for Zed specific, check all the spec, there were multitudes of options in Japan whereas you have GT or Non GT here.

There are lots of myths around imports, lots of them false, on my second import car now and both have been fantastic, in great condition and well looked after.

Thanks for all the info guys! Im really liking this forum already :)

I have a mate who works in sales for Mini, so he has managed to get loads of information about it! It has had the following done:

June 2009 - Numberplate change

June 2009 - Headlights rectified

January 2010 - Rear lamps rectified

January 2010 - Rear foglight rectified

February 2010 - Front tyres replaced

January 2012 - Front fogs rectified

January 2012 - New wipers

February 2013 - Front brakes done

August 2014 - Number plate lamps replaced

August 2014 - 4 new tyres

Obviously looks like its had loads done and done properly.

Is there anything anyone can see that has been missed??

Also, one dilema... It is a 55 plate car, but was registered in the UK in 2008. So where does it stand tax wise.....?!

Thanks again guys!

Also, one dilema... It is a 55 plate car, but was registered in the UK in 2008. So where does it stand tax wise.....?!

Thanks again guys!

I am not completely sure but thought it was down to year of manufacture, nothing to do with import date.

January 2012 - Front fogs rectified

Thanks again guys!

Front Fogs????? No front fogs on the 350Z :)

Should be lower tax rate, I'm pretty sure that the first registration no matter where it is is the important thing.

Pete

I'm 80% certain it is the registered in UK, rather than manufactured, date. I think there are some exceptions, but it has to do with being manufactured prior to 2001 and what the CO2 emissions were recorded at on regsitration... If I recall correctly from by imported Impreza days... Pretty sure you are in the high tax bracket of post 2006 cars.

Try this if you have the reg number: https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax (EDIT: this no longer tells you how much - sure it used to)

Edited by mdunbar

I would guess they meant front reflectors?? Although not sure why they would need to be altered.

Seems like i may just have to wait ans see..To be fair the higher tax wouldnt stop me getting it. Would just be good to know.

Is there anyone i can phone to find out for definite?

I would guess they meant front reflectors?? Although not sure why they would need to be altered.

Seems like i may just have to wait ans see..To be fair the higher tax wouldnt stop me getting it. Would just be good to know.

Is there anyone i can phone to find out for definite?

DVLA

Just out of interest as I have always wondered, are the indicators on the other side to UK cars on a JDM 350z? I have a Honda Integra DC5 and a Mazda Eunos that are both imports and both have the indicators on the right.

No, they have indicators on the left and right ;)

The stalks are the other way round though :teeth:

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1