Disadvantages of an Import?

davidv10

I've got a JDM with :

Brembo's

Undersealed

Windicators ( stalks on the opposite way)

Mirrors DONT move down when reversing

No headlight washers but HID headlights as standard

No leather

And I still love it :D

As for the headlight washers, the mot tester dose not need to see them working as some cars don't activate them every time the washers are used. BUT if they are not fitted at all they can fail.

I'm a tester and if I can see that there is some sort of cover fitted into the bumper then it's a pass!

Best way around it would be to silicone some headlight washer jet covers onto the bumper so it looks like there fitted.

I'll try and confirm this and print off the fail criteria from the mot database tomorrow!

• Like 1

Yasss his pics a Hyundai coupe! :lol: ..best car ever :ninja: Mon' the coup's!

Haha it is indeed... Until i get a 350z anyway ;)

It is the most beautiful car to look at in the world! But...... Just not quick enough! Hyundai really missed a trick with not making their V6 quick!

I loved my 06' 2.0... but we won't go into too much of that before I get banned :ninja::lol: it was..woefully slow

. Trust me you'll love the grunt of this car and the fact overtaking opportunities are everywhere...almost (careful now)

Edited by AMT

340473a38e4d01ba76ae316f36816d75.jpg 👊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted.....

Where such systems are fitted, they must work

Important bits highlighted above.

..... BUT if they are not fitted at all they can fail.

I'm a tester ....

I'm not trying to be awkward "88 Zed" but having admitted you are an MOT tester how can you say they can fail given the bits quoted above? If they aint there, you cant fail on them?

This sounds exactly like the argument I had with my boss when this part of the test was added a few years ago, he was adamant that he had been told otherwise during his refresher course. The problem is the manager also whent on the same course at a later date and was told something different!

I agree with you entirely and admit my post was misleading! Apologies, I was just trying to give some friendly advice as unfortunately the general consensus from other testers I've spoken to is that they need to be fitted. I don't know weather it's down to the old training scheme or just what. Luckily the VOSA are now the DVSA and the training scheme will be changing to a private firm (the last I heard)

• Like 1

No it's not just you! I've lost count of the times I've argued with other testers about the fail criteria.

There's a worrying amount of tested items that different testers can't agree on when it should be simple as they all have access to the manual.

It would seem that the testers have to use a bit of common sense when testing headlight washers. My M.O.T is always due in January and one year the headlight washers were not only frozen solid but they had pushed out from the bodywork. Not wishing to risk a retest I phoned the garage up on the day I'd booked the car in and explained the situation. He said that he relaxed the rule when it was significantly below freezing (it was -10 overnight). As he said, people would just cancel their tests if he stuck rigidly to the rules. This doesn't cover windscreen washers though, although he usually gets one of his mechanics to defrost them.

Pete