Porsche boxster...

nowhereboy

I turn up to look at a job in a Nissan , I get the job . Turn up in a Porsche , I don't get the job . There is a prejudice that's comes with owning a top marque brand car , and I for one like the fact that with Nissan you don't get that .

Depends on the job though, doesn't it?

There's a lot of prejudice with owning a Nissan, at least as much as Porsche. One is owned by grandads and chavs, one is owned by w*ankers and show-offs. Some of us are enough of a show-off chav to have owned both! :D ;lol:

As an aside, I don't get people who say they'll never buy a car from X brand. That makes as much sense as a chocolate teapot, especially if you're only going on stereotypes and have never driven the car in question.

I can see why people would choose a 350 over a Boxster, like I did, but those who just hate a brand because it's cool to? Nope, sorry, you're idiots. You're the ones missing out, not us.

• Like 1

I turn up to look at a job in a Nissan , I get the job . Turn up in a Porsche , I don't get the job . There is a prejudice that's comes with owning a top marque brand car , and I for one like the fact that with Nissan you don't get that .

Depends on the job though, doesn't it?

There's a lot of prejudice with owning a Nissan, at least as much as Porsche. One is owned by grandads and chavs, one is owned by w*ankers and show-offs. Some of us are enough of a show-off chav to have owned both! :D ;lol:

Yes completely .... I'm a tree surgeon who's doing jobs for normal everyday folk , with an average job of around £700 . I rack up in a Porsche or such like and people just wouldn't like it . In my limited time of running my own company ( 5 years) people don't like it if they think you are doing better than they are .

People buy for the badge all the time, you really believe they dont?

People do, car enthusiasts shouldnt and I like to think the people here are car enthusiasts ;)

My Dads old boss once walked over 2 miles in the rain (he was a fat bugger too) because he refused to travel in a Ford. Now thats taking it to extremes :lol:

• Like 2

Well I bought a 370ZN last year - could've bought a 2010 Boxster instead but I wanted something that worked and had all the toys. Enjoyed 8,000 completely flawless miles thus far....

Re enjoyment it's all about how you drive the things and while the Boxster has a superior chassis and powertrain, I'd be seriously concerned about the reliability and maybe not having as much fun in it. The Nismo is utterly thrashed, spanked and yanked every minute I'm in it. It's been to Monaco & back via the Nurburgring and never skipped a beat just like the 350z before it (window motor and accelerator pedal aside).

Friends with second hand Astons, Pork, Loti and Ferraris donate most of their income to mechanics. They really are extraordinarily unreliable - The Fezza is literally made of cheese and the Loti have had engine rebuilds. Porsche is best of the bunch though (GT3 / Metzger unit).

Note that all the above applies for the guy who couldn't afford a 370 and went for a BRZ or Focus instead. I'm sure they're having a lot of very economical fun and completely ignoring what people think about their cars. They did what's right for them.

DT

• Like 1

You know what? It's better than I expected

The look on my face, when the chap proudly announced he upgraded me to it, must have spoke a 1000 words. His next few words were, "Is that not ok?"

I felt a bit bad at the time, it was technically an upgrade. I'll tell him how pleasantly surprised I've been by the err, very well located USB plug, so hopefully that'll make up for it.

Reading this thread, and owning a 370Z and a 987 Cayman S I feel I should chip in!

The Cayman is just great to drive, it does blow the Nissan out of the water with handling and driving pleasure on decent length drives... A hop to the shops don't cut it though! Porsche haven't got their reputation by producing rubbish.

For 'road presence', the Nissan gets far more glances than the Porsche, and the poser in me loves that more! Also its cheaper to mod and make my own :teeth:

But at the end of the day its what is right for you. You buy for yourself, not what other people think ;) That goes for all cars! You shouldn't discount any car based on the factory/country it rolls out of...

(And I never made MrNiki pay for the Porsche so I wasn't affiliated with buying a German car :blush::lol: )

That Boxster is B) though :)

• Like 2

the Gtr says petrolhead , the Porsche says w**ker

Mother of god, it seems it really does take all sorts. The GTR is a big, heavy 4 seater that feels like an A4 to drive unless youre on maximum attack, suffice to say the Cayman doesnt.

370Ad, I can see your point but what if you dont get IMS (like 95% of owners dont) .......... or if you buy a car with a DFI engine (post Jun 08)?

Used 987 Cayman is the same as a 370, and a much better car.

So so wrong. Your usually right but way out of the park here :D

The 987 is the perfect 15k sports car until you mention IMS and that firmly puts it at the bottom of the list. Sad but true.

The 370Z is 8/10 in pretty much every category where as the Porsche is all over the place. 10/10 for driving pleasure but 2/10 for reliability, I view things the same as Microsoft does on its hardware speed test, I choose the worst score overall and that's what the car gets as a whole.

So the second we start comparing a DFI Cayman to a 370, your case is completely shot? Good to know.

;)

IMS really isn't as big a deal as people make it out to be.

Agreed the Mk2 987 is definitely the one to pick but they start around 23-24k! Quite a price jump and not really in the same league as a 370Z anymore.

Saying the IMS problem is not really as bad as its all made out to be is fine on paper. But I know that every small noise, every oil check and every trackday I would be worrying about it.

I imagine you guys would too... Probably the reason you went Mk2 on the 997 Ekona?!

How much is a 370Z? £27K? Bang on the money, I reckon ;) But point taken.

I only had a vague idea about IMS when I bought mine, I was far more interested in getting a 911 with flappy paddles which meant it had to be a 997.2 car. And the touchscreen PCM, which I still think is a great system. Not having either of those would've put me off far more than worrying about IMS.

Would it bother me now, knowing what I know? Probably not, as I know the best ways to avoid that along with the bore scoring. The knowledge is there now, so it's not hard to protect your investment any more as long as you're sensible.