Porsche boxster...

nowhereboy

And the lower end of that is r35 territory

Hmmm now there is a thought

Having driven a 2015 Cayman S and a GTR in relatively short space of time, the GTR does not even come close being the weapon the Cayman is. Best road car Ive ever driven, so balanced, responsive, communicative and bastard fast too. :cloud9:

If you dont need 4 seats but take the R35 over the 981 then you are mad.

And Im sorry, but anyone telling me a Nissan has more road presence than a Porsche ....... :lol:

• Like 1

I'd love a caymen but for one that I'd want it's 40k !! And that's not even the REAL one id want , gt4 100k :(

A buddy of mine has one coming in Mexico Blue, quite the investment it would seem.

Ya they are crazy man ... My mates already made 30k on it and hes not even taken delivery of it !!

And the lower end of that is r35 territory

Hmmm now there is a thought

Having driven a 2015 Cayman S and a GTR in relatively short space of time, the GTR does not even come close being the weapon the Cayman is. Best road car Ive ever driven, so balanced, responsive, communicative and bastard fast too. :cloud9:

If you dont need 4 seats but take the R35 over the 981 then you are mad.

And Im sorry, but anyone telling me a Nissan has more road presence than a Porsche ....... :lol:

Well i think they do .... Maybe not a 911 but alot more than a caymen / boxter

You remember those bumper stickers "my other car is a Porsche"?

Do you remember seeing many saying "My other car is a Nissan"?

Trust me, to your average man (or more importantly lady) in the street one is a Porsche ....... and you said there was another car somewhere? ;):lol:

• Like 1

You remember those bumper stickers "my other car is a Porsche"?

Do you remember seeing many saying "My other car is a Nissan"?

Trust me, to your average man (or more importantly lady) in the street one is a Porsche ....... and you said there was another car somewhere? ;):lol:

Thats what i would call street cred not road presence ..... If that makes sense ?! Your just jealous doc as you have a bmw 3 series .... Or is it a 1,2?!? ;)

What, the one that everyone, even Porsches, get out the way of when it appears in the RVM? :):lol:

I do get what youre saying, but I also think theres a tendency to project your own view of what you drive onto other people, Im as bad as the next guy for it. There aint no way IMO that Joe Soap is going to pick a Nissan over a Porsche, be that presence, cred, image, reputation, history or status :)

Used 987 Cayman is the same as a 370, and a much better car.

So so wrong. Your usually right but way out of the park here :D

The 987 is the perfect 15k sports car until you mention IMS and that firmly puts it at the bottom of the list. Sad but true.

The 370Z is 8/10 in pretty much every category where as the Porsche is all over the place. 10/10 for driving pleasure but 2/10 for reliability, I view things the same as Microsoft does on its hardware speed test, I choose the worst score overall and that's what the car gets as a whole.

Edited by 370Ad
  • Like 1

Plenty of people would take the Nissan over a Porsche , its what the car says about you , the Gtr says petrolhead , the Porsche says w**ker and thats why no one will ever let you out of a junction in a Porsche

• Like 1

There aint no way IMO that Joe Soap is going to pick a Nissan over a Porsche, be that presence, cred, image, reputation, history or status :)

Joe Soap here............

GTR please :) and no not because i am a Nissan owner or fan, given the choice i would have a Gallardo over anything sub £100k

the Gtr says petrolhead , the Porsche says w**ker

Mother of god, it seems it really does take all sorts. The GTR is a big, heavy 4 seater that feels like an A4 to drive unless youre on maximum attack, suffice to say the Cayman doesnt.

370Ad, I can see your point but what if you dont get IMS (like 95% of owners dont) .......... or if you buy a car with a DFI engine (post Jun 08)?

Mother of god, it seems it really does take all sorts. The GTR is a big, heavy 4 seater that feels like an A4 to drive unless youre on maximum attack, suffice to say the Cayman doesnt.

370Ad, I can see your point but what if you dont get IMS (like 95% of owners dont) .......... or if you buy a car with a DFI engine (post Jun 08)?

Its not about how capable the car is, its what the car says about the owner, doesnt matter how good or bad the car is people buy the brand that they want the world to see

• Like 1

Its not about how capable the car is, its what the car says about the owner, doesnt matter how good or bad the car is people buy the brand that they want the world to see

He is not wrong Doc (well not round my way), granted the Cayman/Boxster S are great cars, but, you/Ekona would probably be in a very very small % who buy for the drive rather than the badge at the front and sadly, all along wishing they could afford a 911 ;)

A mate of mine was a prime example, he had a Cayman S and what did he trade in for when he could afford it, a old 2nd hand base model 911 convertible of sorts.

So you are saying that you'd drop £70K on a sportscar and consider what people think about it is more important than how good it is to drive?

And that when youre in the pub telling people you spent £70K on a Nissan rather than £70K on a Porsche people are going to pat you on the back and tell you that you made the right decision?

Maybe we knock about with different people but around here a Porsche is a Porsche, no-one will point and laugh and call you a wally for buying one instead of a Nissan, particularly when the current version is being hailed as one of the best drivers cars ever. Dont get me wrong, GTR is awesome but I think youre picking the wrong fight by suggesting the Nissan name holds more positives than Porsche does.

ETA: Anyone that gives me the "poor mans Porsche" bollocks should remember what that dickhead Clarkson said about 350Z's originally.

Edited by docwra

Porsche owners might feel its a positive , many other wouldn't agree. I'd never buy a Porsche I would buy a GTR or perhaps a M4 and wouldn't give a crap what people in the pub thought

We must all be mugs though driving our 350s and 370s when we could have bought a far superior Cayman

Used 987 Cayman is the same as a 370, and a much better car.

So so wrong. Your usually right but way out of the park here :D

The 987 is the perfect 15k sports car until you mention IMS and that firmly puts it at the bottom of the list. Sad but true.

The 370Z is 8/10 in pretty much every category where as the Porsche is all over the place. 10/10 for driving pleasure but 2/10 for reliability, I view things the same as Microsoft does on its hardware speed test, I choose the worst score overall and that's what the car gets as a whole.

So the second we start comparing a DFI Cayman to a 370, your case is completely shot? Good to know.

;)

IMS really isn't as big a deal as people make it out to be.

Plenty of people are dropping 70k into a Nissan rather than a Porsche, got to be a reason for that ;)

4 seats, tuneability, practicality, pinnacle of JDMness and lowish residuals if youre buying secondhand.

Look, Im not saying that a GTR is a bad car - its not, its awesome and Id shake anyone who chose to buy one by the hand. What Im saying is that for most normal, god fearing people who dont already own Nissans, Porsche as a name carries a lot more prestige and positive association than Nissan does.

Im not making any judgement on anyone who chooses one over the other but I cant accept that people will actively steer clear of a Porsche because of the badge and walk across the street to the Nissan garage instead because of its more positive perception as a 70K car to the general public. Jaguar, Mercedes ........ even Tesla, fine, but not Nissan.

I could have bought a caymen quite comfortably with my 25k budget I had for a 2 years ago for a car , but decided to get another 50 as I loved the looks the noise of the v6 and the bargain that it was .... Same reason I bought my first one years ago. Is the caymen a better car ? Yes it is in many ways but just wasn't for me . I don't wear rose tinted glasses because I own a zed and completely agree there are lots of better cars , but I appreciate it for what it is. I turn up to look at a job in a Nissan , I get the job . Turn up in a Porsche , I don't get the job . There is a prejudice that's comes with owning a top marque brand car , and I for one like the fact that with Nissan you don't get that .

• Like 2

Plenty of people are dropping 70k into a Nissan rather than a Porsche, got to be a reason for that ;)

4 seats, tuneability, practicality, pinnacle of JDMness and lowish residuals if youre buying secondhand.

Look, Im not saying that a GTR is a bad car - its not, its awesome and Id shake anyone who chose to buy one by the hand. What Im saying is that for most normal, god fearing people who dont already own Nissans, Porsche as a name carries a lot more prestige and positive association than Nissan does.

Im not making any judgement on anyone who chooses one over the other but I cant accept that people will actively steer clear of a Porsche because of the badge and walk across the street to the Nissan garage instead because of its more positive perception as a 70K car to the general public. Jaguar, Mercedes ........ even Tesla, fine, but not Nissan.

Your spot on, of course Porsche carries more prestige, however as before and i mean this hand on heart, i would never ever nor have i ever wanted to own a Porsche, end of, full stop. Porshe owners round here are fat balding 50+ men who drive round town parking as near to the local wine bar as feasible possible, the only time they go over 4k revs is probably when they sneeze, status symbol and nothing more and probably sadly for me, its soured the badge.

People buy for the badge all the time, you really believe they dont?

I have said elsewhere i have some affluent mates who, one is a Porsche/Bmw man, one is a Ferrari/Mercedes man, another one doesnt care, Porsche/Ferrari/Bmw/Lambo/Gtr whatever floats his boat at the time. The Ferrari/Mercedes man would never buy a Porsche, he hates them.

Same probably goes for the Lambo/Ferrari thing, your either in one camp or the other.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1