06 rev up. What happened to the oil burning problem?

jjdugen

Hi all

Bought an 06 rev up more with heart than head!

Done some research and found a mountain of posts on the US forums about excessive oil consumption. But it all seemed to tail off. Did Nissan finally correct it, or am I a lucky one as mine seems to be quite happy, no discernible usage in the couple of thou miles I've done so far. Mostly Mway with some local driving. I've not been particularly heavy footed, but it has done a few spirited miles, just to test it out.

I can't believe that Nissan didn't finally address this problem, or did the bad ones just demise?

Cheers

Probably the latter.

FWIW I believe the problem was massively overstated, as I've seen precious few Revups with this issue. Mine never suffered either. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just that it's not as large a percentage as we might think.

• Like 1

The RevUp was only sold for a year, then the HR engine was released, so Nissan didn't really have any time to "fix" it.

I believe the HR was the "fix", and was probably never intended for the 350Z. This is evident the fact the original 350Zs had grooved bonnets as well as the replacement 370Z - yet the HR 350Zs had a bulged bonnet (bare with me here while I attempt to explain my absurd reasoning!).

The RevUp was introduced for the 2006 model year with the facelifted model, and was probably intended to last the remaining 3 years of the car's life cycle. However, there was a lot of noise from the USA about the oil consumption issue, with Nissan attempting engine replacements under warranty (sometimes more than once) to solve the problem. I think when they realised they couldn't solve the issue (at least in a short period of time) and that legal action in the States was imminent, they panicked. It was then decided that as a quick and easy fix for the last couple of years and to save their reputation, they would take the freshly engineered VQ35HR, developed for the brand new 2007 model G35, and integrated into the 350Z in a hurry for the 2007 model year. The bulged bonnet was designed in order to "fit" the taller HR into the existing space the DE occupied without carrying out the more detailed and more expensive modifications to the chassis/engine required to have the engine sit lower to retain the original styling. It would appear that this compromise in styling was deemed acceptable in order to get the new car ready as quickly and cheaply as possible. The replacement 370Z (only a couple of years later) then revived the original intended Z car design with a grooved bonnet.

Of course, this is speculation based on my own research. Feel free to discuss and/or rip my theory to bits! :lol:

Edited by Puffmac

I think the bonnet bulge looks better... but I would say that, cos' I've got one :lol:. Hopefully your cars fine mate, Dan's right I've heard the issues too and it did put me off a bit from them but tbh I've not seen/heard many cases at all :thumbs: Just keep it regularly checked... always better to be safe than sorry!

Hi all

After nearly burning my eyes out following the bucket loads of threads on the 'American' site, it does appear that some resolution was finally arrived at.

It seems that the bores were designed with a taper (!) and that the thin oil control rings would not seal properly. Revised rings 'seem' to have cured the fault.

Alternatively, the extra variable exhaust valve control introduced on the rev up gave too much vacuum in the bores, sucking oil up into the combustion chamber.

Maybe a combination of the two?

Looks like the early 350's had it about right, and lower tax too!!!

The RevUp was only sold for a year, then the HR engine was released, so Nissan didn't really have any time to "fix" it.

Well, that's partly true but it's worth pointing out that the RevUp engine actually dates back to 2005. Apart from the 176 GT4's sold from May 2005 onwards it wasn't introduced in the U.K until April 2006 but loads of RevUps were sold in Japan and The States long before they were available in The U.K. Engine failures were fairly common in The U.S.A compared to here possibly through the use of low octane fuel as 97/98 Ron is not easily available in some states like California and The Mountain States like Colorado and Wyoming.

United States: in the US octane rating is displayed in AKI. In most areas, the standard grades are 87, 89-90 and 91-94 AKI.[42] In the Rocky Mountain (high elevation) states, 85 AKI (90 RON) is the minimum octane, and 91 AKI (95 RON) is the maximum octane available in fuel.

and

In SOME east coast states, up to 94 AKI (98 RON) is available

Pete

I believe the HR was the "fix", and was probably never intended for the 350Z. This is evident the fact the original 350Zs had grooved bonnets as well as the replacement 370Z - yet the HR 350Zs had a bulged bonnet (bare with me here while I attempt to explain my absurd reasoning!).

The RevUp was introduced for the 2006 model year with the facelifted model, and was probably intended to last the remaining 3 years of the car's life cycle. However, there was a lot of noise from the USA about the oil consumption issue, with Nissan attempting engine replacements under warranty (sometimes more than once) to solve the problem. I think when they realised they couldn't solve the issue (at least in a short period of time) and that legal action in the States was imminent, they panicked. It was then decided that as a quick and easy fix for the last couple of years and to save their reputation, they would take the freshly engineered VQ35HR, developed for the brand new 2007 model G35, and integrated into the 350Z in a hurry for the 2007 model year. The bulged bonnet was designed in order to "fit" the taller HR into the existing space the DE occupied without carrying out the more detailed and more expensive modifications to the chassis/engine required to have the engine sit lower to retain the original styling. It would appear that this compromise in styling was deemed acceptable in order to get the new car ready as quickly and cheaply as possible. The replacement 370Z (only a couple of years later) then revived the original intended Z car design with a grooved bonnet.

Of course, this is speculation based on my own research. Feel free to discuss and/or rip my theory to bits! :lol:

I very much doubt Nissan identified the problem through sold cars, redesigned the lump, tested etc in such a relatively short timescale, most upgrades are planned, designed well in advance.

• Like 1

I very much doubt Nissan identified the problem through sold cars, redesigned the lump, tested etc in such a relatively short timescale, most upgrades are planned, designed well in advance.

Agreed, and from what we have gleaned over the years and from feedback from Independents the issue is more to do with the pistons, among other things being different to the previous 276hp engines and in particular that the pistons were of a different construction and tolerance.

But undoubtedly the high oil consumption issue is also down to how the car has been driven and how well it is maintained - bear in mind the oil level is notoriously difficult to read on all the pre HR 350 engines, and not least what petrol has been used with knowing that ragging the engines over 5k rpm using less than 98RON fuel ain't good news. Yes owners like us on here who take a pride in looking after their cars will make the effort, but sadly not everyone does (whatever the car they drive).

The other factor we have picked up on is that GT4 296bhp rev-up engines do not seem to have suffered the same level of oil consumption issues and although there were limited numbers, the fact they were assembled prior to the introduction of the rev-up engine suggests they continued using the original DE pistons, or at least the construction/tolerance were the same (better?)