Which Coilovers

Billy_Taj

Hi guys,

I have eibach springs on currently but I'm wanting to upgrade to coil overs soon. Which ones would be decent?

I have short listed the ones in my price range

BC

HSD dual

Torqen

Meister r

I don't want to spend too much money but I want the best ones in my budget. I would like it to sit as low as it does on eibachs but have better ride quality with more softness for country roads. I don't really care about tracking the car.

Thanks

BC for me. I've tried them on the 350, and run them on the MR2 and BMW.

I'm not saying the others aren't any good, and indeed they're all much of a muchness, but I'm satisfied enough with the quality of the materials used as well as the properties of the damping itself that I feel no need to buy another brand.

Teins are not a better damper, IMHO. None of their products really do it for me, even the N1 stuff isn't as well balanced as the KWV3.

Thank you.

From what I understand bar the materials used it's about the damping quality. I have read that cheaper or not as well designed coil overs with worse damping tend to have a hard ride and skip and jump over rough surfaces? Is that true?

Lastly spring rates. I assume higher kg is a stiffer spring but what type of spring rate does someone using it on the road want?

To show us the confidence in our products, I'm going to throw this in: :)

Get a set of TORQEN S coilovers, install them, play with the settings, then in 14 days time, if you don't like them, I will take them back at no cost for you. I'll organise collection once they've been out the car.

Even more, will also pay you £100 for inconvenience :lol: No mileage limit with the 14 days period, drive as much as you want.

Full alignment is required, as with any other manufacturer.

Details here: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/96345-torqen-350z-torqen-s-coilovers

P.S.

1. Had BC on my 370z, sold them immediately after I bought the car as set on max ride height, I was still scraping the ARK exhaust on speed bumps. Replaced them with KW v3 coilovers. Night and day.

2. Had MeisterR on the 350z, they were pretty good, really liked them before replacing them with KW v3.

• Like 2

12032219_10206574973026777_7261776330728719528_n.jpg?oh=de22483b5004fcaf2f2646b4ff68cf43&oe=569059B8

Love mine, fully adjustable, that's setup about half way, so loads of room to go lower, loads of room to revert back to OEM height.

They're also supplied with the dampening adjusters, to adjust the ride stiffness. Some brands/suppliers don't include those with the product for some reason and charge more for them :S

BC's, have a guess where from :lol:

• Like 1

To show us the confidence in our products, I'm going to throw this in: :)

Get a set of TORQEN S coilovers, install them, play with the settings, then in 14 days time, if you don't like them, I will take them back at no cost for you. I'll organise collection once they've been out the car.

Even more, will also pay you £100 for inconvenience :lol: No mileage limit with the 14 days period, drive as much as you want.

Full alignment is required, as with any other manufacturer.

Details here: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/96345-torqen-350z-torqen-s-coilovers

P.S.

1. Had BC on my 370z, sold them immediately after I bought the car as set on max ride height, I was still scraping the ARK exhaust on speed bumps. Replaced them with KW v3 coilovers. Night and day.

2. Had MeisterR on the 350z, they were pretty good, really liked them before replacing them with KW v3.

Awsome deal I'll take your kw package thanks ;)

I have Torqen coilovers and would not hesitate to recommend going down this route.

You CAN feel the changes through the adjustment range, they are good quality, fit without an issue and I think represent great value for money.

David

That's confidence in your product.

I don't really think there will be bad coilovers per se but I'm looking for the right ones for me. If possible I would like to stay 30mm lower than standard height and would like a nice soft ride (within reason) that won't skip over poor roads. I will research further into spring rates also.

Hsd are rhe only decemt ones in your list that ive experiemce of. Ill admit I havent been in a car with Torquen ones yet but im skeptical of how good the damper could be at the price. Happy to be proven wrong though.

I run Tein monosports and theyre fantastic. Dual flow valve really soaks up the sharp bunps on country roads. But only the upper end Teins and ohlins offer this atm as far as im aware.

However theres a key line in your post i think everyone has missed. You want the same ride height as your eibach springs but more softness? All coilovers will be a harsher ride and be the opposite of what you want. And if ots for country roads and youre sure of coilovers then ones with a dual flow valve are the ONLY ones you should consider

Edited by fake ben taylor

Thanks for your input. I always thought if you out coilovers on a softer setting you could get a similar or better ride than oem. I was in a wv with some nice weitec coilovers. The car was lowered but not slammed. The car rode buttery smooth. It wasn't floaty but felt right. It didn't roll much and soaked up the bumps on a country road with no problems. It was so so much better than oem. Stiffer but softer, a contridiction I know but that's the only way I can describe it.

So only the more expensive ones give the better ride quality?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input. I always thought if you out coilovers on a softer setting you could get a similar or better ride than oem. I was in a wv with some nice weitec coilovers. The car was lowered but not slammed. The car rode buttery smooth. It wasn't floaty but felt right. It didn't roll much and soaked up the bumps on a country road with no problems. It was so so much better than oem. Stiffer but softer, a contridiction I know but that's the only way I can describe it.

So only the more expensive ones give the better ride quality?

To partially answer, drive your car at a reasonable speed over a sharp bump in the road, like a small bridge on a country road (be careful etc).

The rear is likely to rise up too far as the springs compress and then uncompress too quickly. If you go too fast the tyres will lose contact and it's surprisingly easy to provoke this (so be careful etc). You will most likely bang your head on the roof as it comes down to meet you as you go up to meet it :lol:

A better shock will damp that and you will soak up the bump without lift-off yet still retain a nice smooth ride.

Yes you can crank them up but even on a moderate setting you will get a much better road ride than OEM if nothing else because of that poor rear damping effect the Z suffers from.

I don't have the skill or will to fiddle with settings so type 1 KWs (non-adjustable) were my choice and I found them excellent at a 10mm drop from standard. They looked great even lower but I kept ripping off my exhaust flexis on speed bumps. They also lasted for 150K without unduly suffering. In fact they were still better than my shaky memory of the oems.

So buy the best deal as above and they *will* be better than oem.

Edited by Toon Chris
  • Like 1

Night and day even with the tracking out as it will be at the moment .

One if not the most impressive upgrades I have done .

Alan

My MisterR on full soft are the same as my OEM set up if that helps .

Alan

Did they make a big difference to the way the car drives?