Phones & Broadband, 1950's?

Flex

I just looked up satellite internet costs as I hadn't looked for years: OUCH!

Tooway, for example, offer at most a data cap of 100GB (although unlimited browsing and email, no doubt via their servers), all for the bargain price of £6.99 a month for equipment rental AND £99.99 A MONTH FOR THE DATA! Max speeds of 22/6 as well, so hardly earth shattering.

Nope, sod that.

I just looked up satellite internet costs as I hadn't looked for years: OUCH!

Tooway, for example, offer at most a data cap of 100GB (although unlimited browsing and email, no doubt via their servers), all for the bargain price of £6.99 a month for equipment rental AND £99.99 A MONTH FOR THE DATA! Max speeds of 22/6 as well, so hardly earth shattering.

Nope, sod that.

We bought the equipment outright which makes it a lot cheaper in the long run. I'm looking at it from a business prospective though for personal use it would be a fair bit more expensive than regular broadband.

But if the service is that bad and there is no there option you don;t really have a lot of choice.

• Like 1

We bought the equipment outright which makes it a lot cheaper in the long run. I'm looking at it from a business prospective though for personal use it would be a fair bit more expensive than regular broadband.

But if the service is that bad and there is no there option you don;t really have a lot of choice.

For business yes, no issue there as you don't need half the data that home users do. Definitely the best choice if the alternative is nothing. :)

• Like 1

I still think BT is the best option, I'm loyal and I live in hope that one day their technology will catch up with that of developing countries. Have shares in the company also!

I'm considered too rural for decent BB speeds (its 10mins drive from my door to the centre of Reading), but still manage to stream movies, but drops out sometimes when I'm gaming online :(

Get to watch 'Fear the Walking Dead' though :D

I like the way people just post their speed as if to brag lol.

Let's hope SMD doesn't see this :surrender:

Did he make it back from scotland?

I think he's still lost in Edinburgh / Glasgow ?

I think he might be back, I saw pictures of his fish in his bath, he obviously missed them and wanted to bathe with them. Each to their own.

For the most part, you can blame the government. If OpenReach was still tax payer owned, the tax payer would pay to dig up the roads, install new ducts, upgrade to newer technology and so on.

Unfortunately it's not government owned, it's a company that has to make a profit, and ploughing hundreds of millions of pounds in to upgraded infrastructure for areas lowly populated doesn't make sense because they'd never see any ROI.

New builds are another story; I 'think' it boils down to House Builders not engaging early enough, though I'm not 100% on that.

New builds are another story; I 'think' it boils down to House Builders not engaging early enough, though I'm not 100% on that.

Same old story as with anything like this, we just don't have the infrastructure in this country, or we don't give two hoots about increasing demand on the existing. We get this all the time in the water industry and it's so frustrating.

You cannot just build millions of homes and NOT upgrade the infrastructure, all it leaves you with is a much weaker backbone than what you started with. Stupid. We should ditch HS2 and plough all that money into providing fibre to EVERY corner of the country. That'd do more for the economy than being able to get to Brum 20mins quicker from London.*

*I have no idea where HS2 actually goes, or if that's even close to the correct shortening of time. I just think that HS2 is a complete waste of money full stop :lol:

• Like 1