New member saying 'Hi'.

jjdugen

I've been looking around for a replacement for the Clio 172 and this caught my eye on t'Bay. Ploughed throgh the forums for the things to look out for, (why are forums so full of scary stuff!!?). Its an 06 rev upl, 52K miles, UK model with GT pack.

Not much service history so went over it with a fine tooth comb. The only haggling point was the clicky rear drive-shafts, at the price, I was prepared to wear the repair costs.

Had it two weeks now, put a few miles up, so far so good. Lockwood and Greenwood did the shafts on Thursday and gave it the once over. (Damn good service from them, highly recommended). Apart from the back box flange looking a bit moth-eaten, they give it the all clear. They do a weld up repair for not much money so will have that done when I book it in for a service.

I buy a car purely for the Nurburgring, the Clio Sport has been thrashed unmercifully for the last three years, belting little thing and not too outclassed, especially when its wet! But, time for something a little more capable

So, apart from gritting my teeth at the petrol pumps I'm well pleased with it. Just got to keep my eye on the oil level!!!

If anyone has any history on this one,OE 06 VHF please let me know... For better or worse!

Cheers

post-26853-0-41345300-1442069780_thumb.jpg

gratz on your new toy :)

make sure she gets super unleaded, she doesn't come with a proper fuel map for regular unleaded and at higher revs the knocking can do damage.

also keep an eye on the oil pressure, the HR engine has a crappy paper oil gallery gasket that can fail which results in an internal oil leak. so oil levels can look just fine even though the engine is being starved of oil. rule of thumb is 30 psi when warm at tick over and 60psi at 2K rpm (60mph in 6th). the gasket is in the middle of the engine so replacing it costs more in man hours than parts, but the good news is the replacement OEM part is now reinforced so there is a permanent fix for it.

sounds a bit scarier than it is, as long as the pressure is fine then it's nothing to worry about, and if you notice pressure dropping you should have plenty of time to get it fixed before it completely goes.

other than that these engines are nice and solid, the engineers were told to design an engine that would run for 200K :)