What the hell is wrong with The World? (Disturbing content)

Stutopia

Express mock outrage on the internet all you want - nearly every person only cares about themselves, and that's why people will always die at the hands of Hypocrisy is the only thing I truly despise :)

ple, in the name of religion or whatever else.

What absolute horseshit, have quick look on here for threads asking for help and the responses they get from advice to other members viewing cars at opposite ends of the country, all for free and with no expectation of reward or return. There's plenty of other threads about sick relatives, charity efforts, money raising and this place is just a car forum.

If you only care about yourself, that's fine, but dont pretend to yourslef you're like that because everyone else is and that it's ok.

fair enough - I'm very conscious of the fact that there are better people in the world than me. It's just that the ratio of people that like to sound like good people vs the people that would actually commit a selfless act to help someone else is, in my experience, very high. Hypocrisy is the only thing I really despise :)

EDIT: due to retarded phone

Edited by BobbyZ

Express mock outrage on the internet all you want - nearly every person only cares about themselves, and that's why people will always die at the hands of other people, in the name of religion or whatever else.

I'm not outraged. I'm deeply saddened. And genuinely.

I certainly don't only care about myself. I don't have any family - I lost them a while back, all by cancer. I have estranged far flung uncles and aunties. I went to bits after my parents died. Lost my job, got behind on the mortgage.

I know what it's like to be on your own and how crucial it is to receive the slightest bit of care or compassion and how far those gestures go.

My neighbour used to loan me bits of money here and there and I'd go buy pasta and tinned tomatoes.

Luckily I now have my GF who literally saved my life. She bailed me out of some serious stuff emotionally and financially and that was after just a few months of knowing her.

That was 4 years ago now but I'm here by the grace and compassion of other people.

If I could help someone somehow, I would. Because the slightest thing makes all the difference.

Edited by TT350
  • Like 3

I guess it's just a shame that all the selfless, caring people are concentrated in the rich, western countries, rather than in Syria and all those other ****ed up countries ;)

I don't really know what your point is.

What are YOU doing to help these people? Or are you saying you don't care and what's more don't publicly profess to care and therefore innocent of any hypocrisy?

I guess it's just a shame that all the selfless, caring people are concentrated in the rich, western countries, rather than in Syria and all those other ****ed up countries ;)

I don't really know what your point is.

What are YOU doing to help these people? Or are you saying you don't care and what's more don't publicly profess to care and therefore innocent of any hypocrisy?

Glad you asked. My point has been to highlight the root cause of this crisis, right down to the dying children on beaches.

After all, we all have objectively good lives here, right? I'd imagine, given the subject matter of this forum, that everyone here has a luxurious life - it IS a luxury to be concerned about the wellbeing of which luxury car to buy, or where to get it serviced, or which modification to carry out next, all deliberated over from the comfort of a secure home. It's the same situation, relatively speaking, with almost everyone in the western world who claims to truly care about these crises.

So, back to the root cause - in brief, there are countries where resources are lacking, and only a few people are privileged enough to have a good life, and where the underprivileged live a life of near death, so much so that they're forced to take a perilous boat trip to seek a real life. The privileged aren't selfless enough to share the resources, so this situation persists.

So the debate I'm trying to provoke is, who out of the privileged sympathisers living their comfortable, privileged life in their confortable home, in a wealthy country, would actually be so sympathetic if they were in that situation in a war torn country, that they wouldn't look after themselves?

It's human nature to look after no.1. I've helped people out in superficial ways too. In fact I like to think I always would try to. But if I was in a life or death situation in a shitty country (or even if I had to significantly dent my disposable income to help someone else), you'd best believe I'd help myself first, and I'm pretty sure nearly everyone else here would too. In fact it doesn't even have to be life or death - just that if you were part of the privileged few in a poor country, you'd probably rather stay part of that few than to help out the poverty stricken others. And so you end up with the reason why these things will always be a part of the world, and my original point about people's "mock sympathy" on the internet, because most people wouldn't bat an eyelid if it meant losing their comfortable life.

Being safe & secure and doing a little to help out other people are not two things which are mutually exclusive, much as you've tried to paint that picture above, it's simply a fallacy. A person doesn't have to have surrendered everything they have to have made a positive impact on someone else.

What does it matter whether the hypothetical, unprovable question of if "the privileged sympathisers living their comfortable, privileged life in their comfortable home, in a wealthy country, would actually be so sympathetic if they were in that situation" is a correct theory or not?

Whether someone with only a tenner gives a homeless person a fiver or whether a billionaire gives that same homeless person a fiver, the reciever is still a tenner up :shrug:

• Like 1

Whether someone with only a tenner gives a homeless person a fiver or whether a billionaire gives that same homeless person a fiver, the reciever is still a tenner up :shrug:

Because that is the problem, poverty and an ever widening distribution in wealth.

Is the success of ISIS due to a fanatical belief of a god, or is it due to poverty driving people to look for any false hope?? Religion is abstract human concept we have made up to control each other. It thrives in poverty because it gives people hope.

Trying to patch up the problems with charity will do nothing to solve the underlying issues. The real question is

'Is my life more worthy than those around me??'

Judging by the actions of Australia versus Germany, the whole world can see just which of those two countries is more 'civilised'.

Edited by gangzoom

Survival of the form that will leave the most copies of itself in succesive generations. I.e weed out the weak, for example, the monkies with snow on them :) you are referring to natural selection ;)

By that statement I assume you consider your life to be more worthy than any of the refuges around the world??

If so can I ask what made you come to that conclusion, apart from the fact you were lucky enough to be born in the UK??

The "statement" as you put it is just the actual defintion of survival of the fitness, nothing more, nothing less.

But yes I am so lucky, lucky my father died when I was 3 1/2, my sister 3 years ago at the age of 50, I feel postively blessed on a daily basis.

I didnt ask for my life, it was just the one i was born into and i live the hand i was dealt, there are people far worse of than me and far better of than me.

If you see me down the docks beating of refugees with a stick, please feel free to refer to your presumption of who I am :)

Because that is the problem, poverty and an ever widening distribution in wealth.

Is the success of ISIS due to a fanatical belief of a god, or is it due to poverty driving people to look for any false hope?? Religion is abstract human concept we have made up to control each other. It thrives in poverty because it gives people hope.

Trying to patch up the problems with charity will do nothing to solve the underlying issues. The real question is

'Is my life more worthy than those around me??'

Judging by the actions of Australia versus Germany, the whole world can see just which of those two countries is more 'civilised'.

I'm sorry, I don't believe that until there's a global redistribution of wealth, people doing decent things for one another is a pointless thing.

See the thing that winds me up about all this (and stu this obvs isn't a go at you.....I love you dearly) is the Facebook mentality.

It's the ice bucket challenge of 2015. Another fad of reposts to make mongs feel better about themselves by expressing mock outrage at something they barely know anything about, wouldn't be prepared to give up a single Greggs pasty to change and in 3 weeks won't give 2 dangly willys about.

They are the exact same people who will be sharing a Britain First Facebook post the same day they signed a petition to allow refugees into the country.

Now obviously this isn't everyone. Some of us are genuinely outraged and clearly it is unconscionably sad but let's face it.......in a month your timelines will be clear and next to no one will care less.......they'll all be taking selfies of themselves in the 'hide your dangler in your friends bum challenge' for the Obese Bastards of Bradfords Benevolent Fund or some other such crap.

• Like 1

Of course the social media element is faddy and there'll be people who click "share" and that's all, but,

"Pre-ice bucket, the MND Association would receive on average £200,000 a week in donations. From 22 to 29 August, it received £2.7m...

...In the UK, other charities have benefited with Macmillan Cancer Support raising £3m from challenges. Water Aid has seen a spike in donations, including £47,000 in one day - 50% higher than it ever received in a single day before. The money came in part from people bemoaning the water wasted in the challenges."

- Source BBC

They're not insignificant sums and the irony of WaterAid making record receipts at the same time as Ice Bucket challenge won't be lost on anyone :lol:

It's much easier to leap on the bandwagon than start it up, but even a bandwagoner is a step up from apathy.

I personally object to seeing pics of dead kids all over the place as well, the media can portray what they want how they want and any apathy to this point is entirely down to them. To now come out and start blaming us for not caring enough is bullshit.

And as if by magic .......... he kid's family werent fearing impending death at the hands of ISIS, they had lived in Turkey for at least 2 years and apparently had relatives who were going to sponsor them to go to Canada. They "decided they should try and get to Greece", not being funny but that doesnt sound like their lives were in imminent danger to me.

In light of this, if there is only a limited number of refugees the EU can accept, should these places not have gone to someone in genuine fear for their lives rather than someone looking for a better deal? You know, like what refugees actually are?

Theres definitely a major issue here but why not mention the fact that none of the megarich bordering Muslim states (Saudi, UAE, Bahrain etc.) take any refugees or offer any aid rather than this sensationalist crap? Oh, thats right, that wouldnt sell as many papers would it?

Edited by docwra
  • Like 2

Until 6 months in when crime has risen, the migrants don't get the nice homes and jobs they thought, public services become too crowded and tensions rise to breaking point.

All looks very nice on the telly, but in the real world there's going to be issues.

I think action always speak louder than words....

The actions of the Germany and Austria government and people has been a pretty amazing display of why what humanity can do...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-34167044

I'd wager the majority are strongly against the flood. Speaking to the Germans I know, none of them are too happy about it at all.

Until 6 months in when crime has risen, the migrants don't get the nice homes and jobs they thought, public services become too crowded and tensions rise to breaking point.

All looks very nice on the telly, but in the real world there's going to be issues.

Darn it, just after we'd solved crime across Europe :stir: