How hard do you drive your Zed..?

Kuro

Just wondering..?

After reading another "back end slipped out suddenly" thread, I'm starting to think that my driving style is a little too mild :)

I don't tend to hand around, but I'm very keen on being as smooth as possible with accelerating, braking, changing direction etc. (probably sounds a little dull, but it's served me well so far - and worked at the Ring!) Reading some threads on PH and the 'other side' sometimes the Zed developes a TVR type of reputation. :scare:

I mean, the way some threads read, you'd think the Zed has a Jedi-like pre-determined destiny associated with it; a wet road, a gas pedal and a cunningly positioned festively-decorated Silver Birch... :blush:

And what's all this tyre nonsense..? I was on tyre XYZ so stuffing it was inevitable..? Well, not really, hoofing a front-loaded, RWD monster it in the wet made the shunt inevitable, not a simple tyre choice surely..? Contributing factor at best would you say?

I've only once lost control of the thing, when on the infamous "week 1 - I'm Fangio, lets explore the car" I purposely mashed the pedal into the carpeting in 2nd on a wet roundabout - "just to see what it would do" My wife wasn't too pleased and frankly my Snoopy boxers haven't felt the same since. :blush: The Zed didn't like the experience either, and gave me the "you tosspot" lights combo which wouldn't go off for the rest of the day :surrender:

Being completely honest, for me the Zed isn't about going balls-out fast (I had a Scooby for that - for which there is no more a focussed hooligan tool) it's about being brisk, but in a different way. A nicer sound, and smarter look if you will. B)

So, how hard do you drive yours..? :)

Its RWD, and RWD should be treated with respect, certainly in the wet.

Some people maybe come from FWD cars alla golf GTI, which have quite some power, but it is not comparable.

Last weekend in some torrential downpour i was a passenger in an A3 quattro. I can tell you that if I were to drive the same way with the Z i wouldnt last 1 corner without crashing it on corner exit.

I've had mine for less than a week, and even though I'm still taking it easy I've had the back end slip out on two occasions when exiting roundabouts. Mostly from being too heavy footed in 2nd, and in the wet.

People have told me to get some non-standard rear tyres.

Hard, very hard if Im not going to work or back. Ive got Nankang tyres on it as well, and if its at all wet I leave the traction control on, apart from the odd roundabout ;) It will still slip, but you have to be driving like a complete tool to actualy spin with the TC on :thumbs:

In the dry TC is off, and the back is quite easy to lose ........... but Ive got a couple of drift cars and practise regularly so its not as hairy ;)

Its excellent advice though - when I got my first 200Sx I didnt give it full beans for about 18 months :surrender:

agree with everything that has been said but i think sometimes you should (when safe) provoke the back end to step out - then when it does do it involuntarily it isnt alien to you

the traction control is very intrusive in the dry, i usually turn it off but it poor conditions it stays even though i have read that a few people say they have more control with it off

Been driving for 44years and without a doubt fast and smooth is the way, makes me laugh some of these youngsters, foot hard down...brake...foot hard down.. brake - tossers

Ah, so you are the kind of guy that releases the accelerator pedal half a mile before arriving at an intersection where there is a green light, just in case it might turn red, and it bloody will because when arriving at the intersection you will be doing about 10mph :rant::rant::teeth:

I drive it as you are supposed to drive a RWD 290 HP car ! The engine note alone makes it worth while. :D

Seriously though, I do take care in the wet, I had the back end break traction exiting a roundabout in 3rd which was interesting. However, I dont really throw the car around on the public roads. Track days are best for that and I have a dedicated track car to get my speed `fix`.

I just like driving the Zed steadily most of the time, but when there is a tunnel, slow down, drop it a few gears and nail it :teeth:

Just wondering..?

After reading another "back end slipped out suddenly" thread, I'm starting to think that my driving style is a little too mild :)

Don't forget this is the internet and we have to allow what is sometimes a quite significant margin for the "bullshit quotient" :D

As in "I was hammering down this country lane in the dark, it was pouring with rain and I could hardly see a thing. I had Nickleback blasting out with 140 on the clock when all hell broke loose and I nearly binned it" probably means "I was casually ambling along a dual carraigeway in bright sunny conditions with excellent visability. I was singing along to the Backstreet Boys at 45 when the wife accidentally switched on my heated seat which momentarily distracted me causing me to deviate several inches from my intended path and hit a pothole"

Not quite the same... ;)

Just wondering..?

Don't forget this is the internet and we have to allow what is sometimes a quite significant margin for the "bullshit quotient" :D

As in "I was hammering down this country lane in the dark, it was pouring with rain and I could hardly see a thing. I had Nickleback blasting out with 140 on the clock when all hell broke loose and I nearly binned it" probably means "I was casually ambling along a dual carraigeway in bright sunny conditions with excellent visability. I was singing along to the Backstreet Boys at 45 when the wife accidentally switched on my heated seat which momentarily distracted me causing me to deviate several inches from my intended path and hit a pothole"

Not quite the same... ;)

its funny cos its true :lol::thumbs: