Soon to be a new owner (I hope)

Just a quick hello - I'm hoping to get my hands on a 350Z in the next couple of weeks, and figured I really ought to stop lurking here and begin posting!

Thanks to this forum (and also to the relative reliability of the 350Z!) I feel like I know enough to begin narrowing my search down. With any luck I'll be able to update this post sometime soon with news of a Z purchase!

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I've found a couple that look great (to be honest, all of them look great from my perspective as I'm currently driving a Renault Kangoo!) and am just in the process of moving some funds around. All being well I'll be able to look / buy this weekend!

Just saw Tiff Needel's review on Fifth Gear, and that convinced me that picked the Zed over an RX-8 PZ or an FN2 CTR was the right choice.

I'm in Colchester, Jay. Since looking for a Zed I've noticed quite a few prowling around, with any luck I'll add to that number soon. Off to look at one on Saturday, it's an 8-hour round trip so I'm hoping not to return empty-handed!

Not too far away from me then. Good luck on Saturday! I hope you've already found out lots about the car so it's not a wasted trip. Make sure you're all ready for the purchase, get an insurance quote etc as you'll need that before driving it back for four hours, and if you've got a quote already then its just a quick call to accept the quote rather than having to give all the details again. Oh and tax. Have the details ready so you can tax it too before you set off.

P.S. if you're going sat, make sure you know what time your insurance provider closes, you'd possibly be in trouble if you got there mid-afternoon, done then deal then called the insurer only to find they close at lunchtime on a Saturday.

Let us know how you get on.

Jamie

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips, Jamie. I've found out as much as possible, if all the paperwork checks out really all that's left is to drive it and hope all is well! Sorted the insurance yesterday (good call on the Saturday opening hours!) so just need to tax it before heading back.

Getting a bit nervous now, just keeping everything crossed that there's no issues with the Zed so that I can enjoy the drive home!

Yeah I had a look through a few buyer's guides, although I have to admit I missed that first one and and a lot of the checks it mentioned. That said I've just returned from driving the Zed for ~5 hours and everything seems in order!

The only slight foible is that the gearstick moves forward a little after I let off the throttle in sixth gear. It's only noticeable if you hold the gearstick itself and doesn't seem to do it in other gears. I did read that the gearstick is supposed to 'tingle', and I actually like feeling the car in my left hand, but the movement seemed a step beyond the buzzing sensation. Is this slight movement in sixth gear normal?

Aside from that the car was flawless, too bad the same can't be said for the driver! I did manage to rev match successfully on a couple of downshifts but I have a lot to learn. The speed of the steering response surprised me (it's so eager to turn in!) and overall it just seems like a fantastically balanced car.

I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can, I have a feeling that maybe the car belonged to someone on here and it has some quite distinctive modifications, so it'll be interesting to see if anyone recognises it!

At last, I can say I am a Zed owner! :teeth:

• Like 1

gratz :)

interested to see what others say about the gear stick movement. i've always noticed a bit of movement when i hold the stick and play with the throttle in other cars, so i've not thought to question that in the zed. now you've got me wondering if mine moves in all gears or just a few gears.

took me a while to learn the rev match on down shift, was used to a 1.8 v6 which needs a bit more boot to bounce the needle so i was over doing it on the zed. once i got the feel for her everything started to click and feel smooth and very rewarding :)