350z vs e46 M3

GT Driver

A mate of mine has a 2004 E46 M3, with the SMG transmission. I am quite surprised (as is he) at how little difference in performance there is between the two cars - particularly on the Irish 'B' section roads during a spirited run. On paper, the M3 putting out an extra 60 horses with similar weightings (think the M3 is slightly heavier).

As a matter of interest, does anyone have experience in owning both cars? How did they compare and which did you prefer? I've only driven my mates one for a few miles so can't really comment other than the car seems well planted and has a serious rasp under full flet. Didn't get to throw it into many corners. Oh, and reverse took me a while to find on that SMG box!

I've tracked both, HR coupe and SMG ragtop, both stock.

M3 chassis is a mile ahead of the 350Z in terms of feedback, brakes are better on the Zed, steering a smidge to the M3, noise definitely to the M3, seating position to the Zed, gearbox 100% to the Zed!

• Like 1

I've tracked both, HR coupe and SMG ragtop, both stock.

M3 chassis is a mile ahead of the 350Z in terms of feedback, brakes are better on the Zed, steering a smidge to the M3, noise definitely to the M3, seating position to the Zed, gearbox 100% to the Zed!

The brakes are better than the M3? The M3 must have some pretty crappy brakes then as I personally hated the Brembos! Although with aftermarket disks/pads/lines I hear they're better.

Just to comment on the noise - my mate who owns the M3 loves the 350z noise... more so than the M3 he says... and my exhaust is stock. The rasp off the M3 is very distinctive - it's rambunctious and aggressive whilst the Zed sounds a bit more 'tuned' (to quote him)

Edit - both the Zed and M cars in question have stock exhausts

Edited by GT Driver

M3 was good but seating position isn't that great. Found that a very lightly modded HR (uprev and cosworth panel filters) was very close in terms of straight line speed. Cornering I think the zed was actually slightly better.

The e92 m3 on the other hand.... 👌

Less chassis feedback on the E46 power to peaky top end of the rev counter, to many turns lock to lock on the wheel unless CS rack is fitted. Brakes are shocking in standard form and fade very quickly. I had a manual so unable to comment on the SMG. Better interior obviously but I found seats to wide even with electric bolsters.

In my humble opinion the Z feels much better to drive full stop. That's why I sold the M3 and bought the Z. The E92 M3 is much much better all round.

I own both - e46 smg is stripped out for track days (and now even louder and faster than when I took Brillo out in it) and I have a HR manual coupe as my daily and for Euro Road Trips.

All in all there's nothing in it really - the M3 is faster and more practical, but to all intents and purposes there's nothing in it. Yes, stock M3 brakes are crap and the boot might fall off and it looks like a 3-series, but none-Brembo Z brakes are crap too, the stock zorst noise is crap, boot space is tiny, it's missing some seats and you spend all your time telling people "Yes, it's a Nissan".

Both bloody good cars in their own way - anything else is just splitting hairs.

• Like 4

I had a manual E46. Sold it after only a couple of months!

I actually loved the noise, it did go well and I definitely remember it feeling a bit quicker than the Z. It just never felt as special as I had hoped it would be before I bought it so that was the main reason I got rid. Not that Z feels anymore special but it is a good bit cheaper and I just feel more at home with it.

JDM for life yo!

• Like 1

Not saying anything about performance comparisons but from a looks point of view 350Z wins hands down. The E46 M3 cars just look so ordinary, nothing really swoops or looks sexy. It's just a 2 door version of a saloon, E90 is much better but still common on the roads. M4 looks miles better than any M3.

• Like 1

F80 M3/4 is a bit of a mess at the front IMHO, the inside is nice though.

However, the E46 is a design classic. Still looks great today in any version from a 320D to an M3, they really got the lines perfect on that one. Time will tell of course, but I suspect people will be wanting E46s until the day I die, whereas the F80 will soon be forgotten about.

Edited by Ekona
  • Like 1

Looks are subjective and agree with Ekona, I think the E46 is one of the better looking M3's, its very distinguishable from the standard 3 series too, not as good as a 350, but of course I would say that. As numbers on the road fall, I think I will enjoy it more when I do see one.

However good the e90 maybe, I just think its very bland for an m sport car and the new crop is growing on me.

• Like 1

In terms of styling, I think the e46 M3 was never intended or made to be as 'flamboyant' looking as the 350z. Purely because the M3 is based off the regular saloon - with a bigger wheel arch flare, quad exhaust tips and the unmistakable grill on the side panel distinguishing it but at the same time retaining the original look. Ze Germans like the little things. It is subtle and to somebody with no interest in cars it probably looks the same as any other 3 series out there.

The Zed really stands out, well in Dublin/Ireland anyway where they are not as common (thank you, motor tax!). I have the Nissan badge de-badged at the rear and people really look on in awe as to what the hell type of car it is.

So I was chatting to my mate last night (the M3 owner in question) and he said he has never drove a 350z and would really like to. So we are going swapsies for the weekend and will probably head out on a toned-down hoon. Should be interesting!

Edited by GT Driver

So we are going swapsies for the weekend and will probably head out on a toned-down hoon. Should be interesting!

This has car crash written all over it! Be careful... (and remember you have to use all the revs in the M to make it go - they're happiest when being thrashed :))

• Like 1

So we are going swapsies for the weekend and will probably head out on a toned-down hoon. Should be interesting!

This has car crash written all over it! Be careful... (and remember you have to use all the revs in the M to make it go - they're happiest when being thrashed :))

It does sound like it has the word crash written all over it but I'll be taking it uber-handy! The M3 is worth like twice the value of mine :lol: