75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain......and a little more

Ebized

Makes you wonder why they gave their lives when you look at the mongrel nation we are now. But then again were a global community now.

Still it's a shame everything they gave and everything that was invested to make Britain great is all for nothing now as anyone is allowed in to use/abuse the country.

I wish I'd seen 18 spits up there on song, gives me goosebumps thinking about it. A lovely thing to see and a excellent tribute to the absolute heroes that saved us all and changed the course of the war.

To me It's very important to remember what happened . Heroes all of them!

Some beautiful photos here - so the Daily Mail is good for something :lol:

http://www.dailymail...i-invasion.html

Fantastic pics :thumbs: There's just something magical about Spitfire design :cloud9:

Makes you wonder why they gave their lives when you look at the mongrel nation we are now. But then again were a global community now.

Still it's a shame everything they gave and everything that was invested to make Britain great is all for nothing now as anyone is allowed in to use/abuse the country.

I believe they did it to halt the rise of mindless right wing lunatics, hell bent on domination and oppression of other people, for no reason other than them being of a different country, race or religion.

• Like 3

I heard on the news that the average age of a spitfire pilot was 20 :scare: Difficult to imagine what those young men must have felt knowing they may not be coming back every time they climbed in the cockpit. Big balls, big balls. Almost like Hunger Games.

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1

Fantastic pics :thumbs: There's just something magical about Spitfire design :cloud9:

I believe they did it to halt the rise of mindless right wing lunatics, hell bent on domination and oppression of other people, for no reason other than them being of a different country, race or religion.

Well yes and thank god they did.

But I'm sure the individual at the time fought for Britain and what it meant to be British.

If they'd have known how it'd turn out 75 years down the line I doubt they'd have been as solid in their convictions.

• Like 2

I live near Portsmouth, so thought I would take a trek down to Southsea sea front yesterday afternoon. Parked at one end of the sea front expecting them to fly over the Solent. A few thousand people also had the same idea. Stood around for 20 minutes before just giving up and going back to work.

Apparently they changed their coarse last minute and had to fly at quite a high altitude so I managed to miss the whole thing! Looking at the News Facebook post a lot of other people experienced the same thing.

But I'm sure the individual at the time fought for Britain and what it meant to be British.

If they'd have known how it'd turn out 75 years down the line I doubt they'd have been as solid in their convictions.

They were a bit a mongrel bunch themselves - Poles, Australians, South Africans, Kiwis, Canadians, Czechs, French, Belgian, Irish etc

• Like 3

They were a bit a mongrel bunch themselves - Poles, Australians, South Africans, Kiwis, Canadians, Czechs, French, Belgian, Irish etc

I don't think nationality plays a part, it was about doing what was right in the face of what was obviously so wrong.

• Like 1

I get goosebumps just thinking what those men and women from the free world faced. As Gareth said it was a concerted effort by an awful lot of nationalities and not just from the Empire it just so happened Britain was the last free nation aggressively opposing the darkness hanging over Europe.

For TT350 I'd suggest you watch Eddie Izzards "mongrel nation" to understand what Britain is.

I was asked by an American colleague the other day what the turning point was as even though he's well educated he never knew what happened pre December 41 with WW2

#lestweforget

For those who get the goosebumps here are a few snaps/video I took a couple of weekends back at Goodwood.

You can enjoy a ride too.......but dig deep as prices start at £2750 and I also gather there is a years waiting list:

http://www.boultbeef...e-flights/c1exu

P1040479_zps4hi1m5as.jpg

Or if this Harvard takes your fancy - very similar to the Grumman Avenger that my father flew in off HMS Victorious during the war

P1040477_zps6thjvnde.jpg

Best to see this full screen ;) Just a short vid of the Spit taxing out and taking off - the backdraft when it started up blew my hat off (rescued by another) and it was a job to stand upright. Unfortunately I missed the flight pasing low over the airfield at full chat - by God the sound of the Merlin is something else B)

• Like 2