Bought a 350Z and Insurance Question

Bought a 2005 350Z yesterday and really looking forward to using it. Unfortunately when I first did an insurance search I had a brain freeze and used my Grandmothers address (I'm a soldier and use her address regularly due to moving between Units as well as being away if letters need to be opened). Anyway original quotes were coming in at £700 ish as I'm 23 with 4 years no claims and a blemish free history so bought the car. Obviously now I've purchased the car I'm using my military address in Andover instead of Cambridge and it's gone up to in excess of £1,250 as well as a requirement for a black box (Admiral). So after advice for a decent insurance as a young driver. I certainly don't want to be monitored for a year by an insurance company and the extra £500+ was not factored into original budget. Keeping my fingers crossed as presently car sat outside and can't be driven at the moment.

Hiya! Adrian Flux were best for me, I'm 30 (when did that happen?!) but only have 4 NCB and totally inexperienced in powerful vehicles, my last car was a go-cart. I think if you have experience in similar vehicles there is an insurance guy who posts on here. I'll try and find him...

:welcome:

Adrian Flux were also the best for me.

For my best quote I first called Sky Insurance and got their quote. Then I called Adrian Flux and told them what Sky had offered and they beat it. Then I called Chris Knotts and told them what Adrian Flux had offered and they beat that quote. I then repeated this process until I had the best quote and cheapest excesses. My initial quote was around £800 and I finished up with it being about £400 (with all mods declared) and all the excesses were literally halved :)

I hope this helps :thumbs:

I am 22 with 5 years no claims and it is around £1700 for me and my girlfriend as a named driver, she is 21. I also have 3 points for a bald tyre (I was pulled over the day before my MOT which I intended to get 4 new tyres the morning before I took my car round for the MOT in the afternoon).

So I don't think my quote is too bad really. I'm with flux direct and it is classed as a modified car insurance scheme because I told them I have an aftermarket air filter on the car which actually brought my insurance down cheaper than anyone else.

I don't mind paying it to drive my affordable dream car but I don't think your quote is bad but I wouldn't dream of having a blackbox in any car personally.

I'm currently with Admiral, I had an MR2 turbo and was around £470 a year with mods declared and when I looked at a 350 there I'm up at £670. I'm quite worried about this black box carry on as is doesn't state I will need one? How do you find that out?

I am also 23, 4 years no claims.

Maybe try Tesco, they have always been cheap for my friends..

Always been a bit weary of AF. The numerous car forums I've been on are just full of their horror stories with people ending up greatly out of pocket from them. A quick Google search will throw up hundreds of similar stories.

I've been with Admiral for about 4-5 years now as they continuously end up being the cheapest on the comparison sites. Mine is due next month though and I have a few mods planned, so will definitely try Sky and Chris Knott in the next few weeks.

I would have thought if the car is kept hind the wire in the block or MQ's then it would be cheaper and you need to mention its kept like this if indeed it thats the case. Andover isn't exactly Moss Side is it ? Also make sure you ask for military discount as that's 10% normally. You do not want a black box in a Zed even driven to speed limits the acceleration alone will upset it. I use Chris Knott and they will match or even beat most other insurers. Its a pain shopping around but think of it as money saved so if a few hours work saves £300 on your premium then job well done - also might be worth checking the Forces Discounts sites and see what they have - Churchill used to be pretty good but wouldn't touch them as a civvy

I consider any kind of box used on a performance car a bad thing. It's a downward spiral, lets not convince them it's a good idea.

Ring Ensure (E-sure?) and tell them you've had a quote of £1200, see if they'll beat it.