The NA Build - With Substance

Pritchard

+1. Jenvey ITB's were a popular route in the Cliosport world where people wanted to retain the NA characteristics of the car. Decent power/cost ratio.

Also popular in the 106/saxo world as a step up from cams but below turbo in terms of gains... would be great to see a 350 running ITBs

Edited by Durk

I too at some point want to do an NA build, I was talking to the guy in America who now has the engine out of the red zed that made 420bhp. He has the engine now but without the ITB's but he is still making alot of power with a custom inlet. He has put on a 3" throttle body and increased the inlet size on the standard plenum.

If I do end up doing it, I will be looking to do ITB's, manifolds, cams, bigger valves and inlet changes. I would also forge the bottom end with high compression pistons.

• Like 1

My tuppence worth then :)

I'm FI in the 370 and was (along with NOS in the 350 ) my much lower powered track car is NA but a darn site quicker round the track than a Zed in other words I don't mind what or how the engine works,

Money - I "waste" loads on my cars is one way to say it however it is what I want to spend it on rather than "waste" it on some travel agent for the pleasure of standing in queues at an airport then sitting on some beach bored - each to there own, Spend it how you like you can't take it with you ;)

Onto the OP's points Dyno figures don't tell the complete story especially BHP, you need torque figures and how the power is delivered, I had cams (on FI) and they made little difference to BHP the same applies to the head work however I did gain torque compared to other similar builds but the main advantage was drive-ability I got a massive amount of that torque in the mid range where you want it - not just at WOT but getting up and down the speeds round the bends etc.

Again this is where Dyno figures play a part - a car kicking out 310 at the hubs may well have its arse handed to it by a car with 280 but better power delivery and more in the mid-range.

(Driver ability not withstanding)

I think the main "don't bother with NA" is purely from a bang for your buck perspective. If you want NA then you should build NA :thumbs:

If the budget allows then I would look at an engine rebuild with some high comp pistons basic head work and mild cams, some off the shelf headers and a decent off the shelf true dual will be more than adequate for your needs and keep the cost down on custom fabrication work.

Plenum spacer and a CAI combined with a re-map should see 300+ at the hubs and a very derivable and relatively quick Zed.

I recon that can be done in your budget as well - including buying a spare engine to have all the work done on so you can keep driving yours and when it's all ready one out one in and back on the road :thumbs:

:)

K

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 2

8k just get an LS

And then add 3-4k more to get it fitted properly and running .......

I say go for it ...... It's not been done on here and would be interesting to see what can be done ( and it's not my money , so no risk to me !)

Do it for the UK 350z community :)

But if you get really good gains I'm not gonna like you ;)

Nismo R-Tune, JWT S1 and Tomei 264 cams tested on the same car/dyno, 290whp with bolt ons. (headers, exhaust, intake manifold, TB)

http://www.superstre...-vq-street-cam/

370 NA, Cams, 12:1 pistons, rods, head work, valve springs, ITBs, injectors, headers, exhaust etc

http://www.superstre...e-engine-build/

Are you fitting parts yourself or paying as that impacts the budget a bit.

I would try and identify the bottlenecks in the stock engine, eg if £1000 of headwork only gets you 5bhp, then the money would be better spent elsewhere on a limited budget. Though you dont want to build the engine twice if you find that it becomes a restriction at higher power.

• Like 1

Used Ls swap don't seem too bad an idea either though http://m.ebay.com/itm/171796645229

yeah thats what I was 'budgeting for', but LS3 - Stateside (albeit LHD) you can get most of the conversion parts, right down to 'plug and play' wiring harness converter kits! - Custom headers from a UK race / rally shop if adapting LHD ones pointless, mounts etc Sikky...and your best friend the race mechanic fed with endless supply of chips :) ..possibly not that easy.....but what a car, basically pick any power you want / think you can handle, as the LS variants and ready tuning options is just a pick & mix :) he mutters with incredible naivety..

Used Ls swap don't seem too bad an idea either though http://m.ebay.com/itm/171796645229

You'd buy a used, 61k mileage engine from America that you haven't seen running? Oh and it doesn't come with any wiring. lol rather you than me!!

To be fair there are probably a few people around who have purchased imported g35/350gts with 60k or more on them who are having no problems...

yeah thats what I was 'budgeting for', but LS3 - Stateside (albeit LHD) you can get most of the conversion parts, right down to 'plug and play' wiring harness converter kits! - Custom headers from a UK race / rally shop if adapting LHD ones pointless, mounts etc Sikky...and your best friend the race mechanic fed with endless supply of chips :) ..possibly not that easy.....but what a car, basically pick any power you want / think you can handle, as the LS variants and ready tuning options is just a pick & mix :) he mutters with incredible naivety..

All I will say is, i hope Wasso pops by this thread and lets you know just how easy it is, or Keyser or Buster who are working on the project, sorry did i say easy.....

• Like 2