Civic type R

Zeezeebaba

So I had a poke around one of these today, a blue one at the PHSS at Honda UK HQ. No driving, only static.

- Blue exterior with red interior seats and highlights? No. Just no. Really, Honda?!

- Speaking of those seats, they're utterly wonderful. Supportive yet snug, I was as comfy in them as Jo was with her wide hips.

- Engine bay is going to be 'interesting' to work in. Proper tight in there.

- The steering wheel is an absolute abortion. Not even close to round, but not a proper flat bottom shape either. Feels gash in the flesh.

- Gearbox seems VERY easy to hit the reverse gate when moving from 3-5. However, I've been informed that the Honda 'boxes have a magnetic lockout that's only activated when the car is on, so maybe that's not an issue.

- Front end, have you ever met rear end? I don't think you have, seeing as how you're so very different in the flesh as well as on paper.

- Front wing vents go only have two of the four open, and even then it's such a tiny orifice that I'm 99% sure they do two halves of chuff all.

- Underbody is nicely flat, very impressive and good to see on a modern hatchback.

- WTF are those stuck on bits of plastic near the rear lights, just on the flank?! They look ridiculous! :lol:

- Brakes are HUGE. That's superb to see, and I've no doubt they're equally as impressive in motion.

- Interior quality was very good. Not quite Audi, but it really was a nice place to be with quality trim and components.

Essentially, it's just as bad in the flash as it is in the photos. Design mess, this one also was a colour-clashing mess, and that steering wheel has got to be sorted out. I still want to drive one out of morbid curiosity, but anyone who spanks over £30K on one of these needs their head examining. Or a free pass to Specsavers.

And even that said, if it drives like something very awesome then I honestly would forgive it any ugliness. Sat next to an FN2 and an EP3 did it no favours though, sorry to say.

From what I've been hearing from people on CTRO lots are signing into PCP agreements etc for the new CTR. Due dates for some having signed in a fair while ago are October "ish" but I know some won't be seeing their new Type R's till 2016 now as production seems to be falling behind the numbers required so they're definitely selling in fairly decent numbers or they just haven't made many of them to start with. :shrug:

Either way if I was in the market for a FWD car like this I'd definitely prefer to wait and see what problems the first set of owners get. Hopefully then buying a year or two later when possibly better financial deals start coming out as initial excitement decreases & sales drop. ;)

yes of course it is i just meant the genral layout of the inside etc

still dont think the price hike is justified 32 grand with all the goodies on it

im a massive honda fan always have been but it didnt get me going after looking at it im not even that fused to drive it :(

Edited by nissanman312

I actually saw one on the road today a grey one. My local dealer called Friday and I'm having a go next week. Still not keen on the rear styling though.If it's any good I may be tempted next year, as others have said letting the initial rush die down first and it may be some time for used cars to hit the market. Last time round I bagged the demonstrator and saved a packet but all this depends on whether I like the drive.

As much as it looks gastly in places it is there for aero reasons, not just for the chavs at halfords to love

That's the thing, a large part of it is not. See EVO this month (or my post a couple of pages back) where they discuss it.

As much as it looks gastly in places it is there for aero reasons, not just for the chavs at halfords to love

That's the thing, a large part of it is not. See EVO this month (or my post a couple of pages back) where they discuss it.

I missed that post as the thread went pretty quickly.

I was meaning the stick on 'bits' on the rear by the lights, the vents didn't look like they were actually functional on the car I drove but I didn't go crawling round on the floor to have a proper look

All i know is a Tegiwa branded one was on track at japfest today Passing in places it shouldn't be

i missed that :surrender:

on the Large infield corner which is a double apex corner at rockingham Pif Paf before it goes on to Steel Straight our Rx7 was taking it double apex in and out then in when he went out the civic tried to put itself on the inside making our rx7 have to stick to left and loose his line

in briefing we were told if the steering wheel isnt dead straight you don't over take, i can just see it on my go pro 3-4 cars back grundy might have a better view

Edited by StevoD