How strong are the gearboxes?

geg1992

Thanks for that Ek - doesnt the ECU map simply retard the advance to compensate for low grade fuel in countries not having hi octane?

no the engines go bang, but if you had used your extensive search like you have on the gearbox issue it would be one of the first things you fine :p

• Like 1

What a lot of gearbox scaremongering bollocks.

One of my mottos. You don't have a problem until you have a problem.

However, if you are unfortunate enough to be one of the less than 1% to have a gearbox issue, the boxes are easy and reasonably cheap to overhaul.

A fully working known pre owned CD009 is also a viable option.

Can't believe that I am still reading this thread.

• Like 3

I put "350z gearbox scaremongering troll" into Google and I find there are nearly 5000 of them......

:bunny:

Now I'm pi**ed 'cause I have to sell my mint low mileage HR and buy a DE just so I have enough money left over to buy a new 'box when it inevitably explodes. :lol:

It's the old problem where only people with issues will start threads so it ends up looking like all the boxes are bad. In reality, for every person who asks about gearbox issues there are countless more who say nothing because their gearbox is fine. You're hardly likely to start a thread along the lines of 'Gearbox running beautifully today'!

It's the old problem where only people with issues will start threads so it ends up looking like all the boxes are bad. In reality, for every person who asks about gearbox issues there are countless more who say nothing because their gearbox is fine. You're hardly likely to start a thread along the lines of 'Gearbox running beautifully today'!

Do it! Redress the balance :lol:

agreed...however you gloss over the small point, that all reported faults are the same - one is unfortunate, twice a coincidence, we spotted a few more than 2 with same fault though, hence voicing concern to get other view points

Re low octane usage - why doesnt the knock sensor(s) & ECU handle low compression fuels?

agreed...however you gloss over the small point, that all reported faults are the same - one is unfortunate, twice a coincidence, we spotted a few more than 2 with same fault though, hence voicing concern to get other view points

Re low octane usage - why doesnt the knock sensor(s) & ECU handle low compression fuels?

That's true but there are approx. 5500 350's left in the UK which means that accounting for write-offs we can safely assume there were over 6000 made. Even if 300 people have written about issues, it's still only a 5% incidence which isn't horrific for a performance car.

As I understand it, the ECU won't retard once over 5000 revs so think of it like a cheap tax for people who put 95 Ron in their cars. Nissan were like 'you want to put cheap fuel in it? Fine, but you can't floor it properly' :teeth:

i dont want to come across a dick but.... Do you even have a 350Z? If not your moaning and point out issue threads are not going to stop the issue being there and if your not happy with the minimal risk dont get one

dont get me wrong but it seems since you joined you come on and just nit pick the 350z now im not going to be a fanboi and stand up for it but im grown up enough to know that if i was complying about something so much i wouldn't get one

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

But again thats irrelevant - so what? There are a handful of complaints which are all the same, so of the thousands of cars out there five or six have the same issue - the only thing that proves is a tiny percentage of cars have this gearbox issue - the same as every other brand of car and every model ever made - news? There is no news here to be had, and I think this thread is just getting ridiculous now, sorry.

Take it to a reputable garage and get it refurbed.

145 posts about potential gearbox issues. When buying my 350, gearbox issues wasn't even a thought that crossed my mind. I was more worried on what fuel had been put in and any knocks I could hear.

Just chill and not worry so much over something that isn't a issue. How can you ever enjoy your car if you going to be worried about every notch in your gearbox.

....cheers guys, I feel a lot more comfortable about my Z allegiance again ..just needed to get to the bottom of what came across as an endemic problem..dont mind running bills that cost a few hundred occasionally, but just trying to ensure I wasnt walking into a money-pit!

Blame it on the weather..... :blush::wacko: