BT Sport now £5.99 a month!

WINKJ

Exactly how am I better off as a consumer now paying more for the same content?

In the short term, you're not much better off at all. In the long term though, without competition, what forces Sky to keep putting out high quality content or what prevents them from deciding they want to up the prices to £100 / month? The answer is 'nothing', and if this happens nobody will be happy. Do you think BT would have bothered investing in faster Broadband services if they didn't have to allow others to use its network or if Virgin Media didn't exist to compete against? Probably not. Would Microsoft be giving away Windows 10 for peanuts (free?) if they weren't under so much pressure from Apple and Android? No chance... competition is good.

Sure, you're losing a little bit of convenience and incurring a little bit of additional expense for those who only want Sport on Sky, but with the added benefit of BT's presence in the marketplace forcing Sky to try to do even better than they do already, I see it as a long term good thing for everybody because in the long term, competition drives up quality and drives down cost.

-

As for the OP's comment on post #23 - Yeah, seems a bit crap. Send a mail off to the MD and complain - or threaten to leave BT entirely - somebody somewhere will usually see sense and offer you something better.

So yeah, I have two miffs:

1. When the EU tell a successful company that people love* that they can't be too successful, and the end user ends up paying more

2. When anyone other than Sky tries to do sports as well. You can't. You're all sh*t. Sky is just far too good for you, so sod off and leave the rest of us with quality programming.

*Yeah, I know people have ethical issues with Sky/Murdoch, but in terms of quality of programming they're a mile apart from the rest when it comes to sport.

This is a disappointingly narrow-minded view. Your posts are normally very well thought out and agreeable, but in this case I must disagree. Things can be too big and you can have too much of a good thing - look at what happened to the banks. Imagine what would happen to UK Football if Sky stopped pumping billions of pounds a year in to it because it went bust unexpectedly... All those big expensive PL clubs and expensive players they employ would be gone in a heartbeat - then what would the footy fans watch? Sunday League?

In the short term, you're not much better off at all. In the long term though, without competition, what forces Sky to keep putting out high quality content or what prevents them from deciding they want to up the prices to £100 / month?

Disagree. They had PL exclusivity for years, and the quality improved year on year without question. Prices were capped at a sensible level (anyone think that SS is too expensive? No? Me neither) that the market was happy with. If they had started playing silly buggers then no doubt the government/EU would have intervened, but they didn't. As far as I can tell, they've been nothing but 100% fair.

This is a disappointingly narrow-minded view. Your posts are normally very well thought out and agreeable, but in this case I must disagree. Things can be too big and you can have too much of a good thing - look at what happened to the banks. Imagine what would happen to UK Football if Sky stopped pumping billions of pounds a year in to it because it went bust unexpectedly... All those big expensive PL clubs and expensive players they employ would be gone in a heartbeat - then what would the footy fans watch? Sunday League?

Fair comment.

However, if Sky stopped paying as much for the rights as they do and someone outbids them then fine, that's capitalism! If the money drops then the PL will survive on what they have, they're not going to suddenly go bust.

Besides the politics it is what it is, so suck it up and pay the premium if you want to watch BT sport

No amount of moaning will change the facts.

So save your energy, pay the £5.99 and sit back and enjoy.

£ 5.99 does not even buy you an oap fish supper.

Think about it, less than 20p per day for all that sport.

Edited by ZMANALEX

Wasn't there something in place by UEFA that stated one company couldn't have a monopoly on CL football and thats why Sky and ITV shared it for the past 10 years? What happened to that?

EDIT: Oh and I'm now paying £10p/m more than I did last season between Sky and BT for the same thing, that I'm a bit disgruntled about.

Edited by KyleR

Not quite, the agreement is that a certain number of CL football would be shown on free TV, so ITV took the free contingency from Sky's deal. BT have just invested in a channel that won't show anything for most of its existence in BT Showcase which is free to view and will show "at least" 12 CL matches. Or something along those lines.

• Like 1

It's £1.50 per week.

Suck it tight arses!!!!!!!!!!!

Only if your an existing broadbander, it's £24 pcm for normal humans (plus £15 for the bloke to reach over and flip the switch), but it's not outrageously priced. Unless of course you consider the money is going to Robbie Savage and Rio Ferdinand, which is like finding out your money is being secretly routed to Mugabe ;) except of course, he takes himslef much less seriously than Rio & Sav :lol: