Dash cams helping prices?

Has

New around here but should be getting my first Z soon. Anyway...

Read an article about how dash cams may bring down insurance prices. I was thinking of buying one anyway to be honest but it would be a bit of a bonus if it did bring the premium down.

I can see why they'd help prices but does anyone have any experience of actually mentioning having a dash cam and has it lowered your policy?

I emailed and called my insurer, Elephant, and they don't give discounts for dash cams. You might wanna go on a price comparison site and call say the top 5 and ask. I think the discount might be 5-10% but I doubt it would be that much. Again just call them all and ask :)

Edited by Mikevv

I don't see why insurance companies can't hand out dash cams with every new policy. The bulk amount they purchase from the manufacturers, would lower the price of each unit, therefore cover the outlay of the initial purchase by not shelling out on non fault and bogus claims. :)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I had a dashcam in my old car but it didnt do anything for me when an uninsured driver hit me and then drove off. The police even viewed it on the local CCTV but couldn't seem to trace the car to any owner due to the car being registered in false details and my insurance company was going to knock my no claims bonus down to 1 year even though it was not my fault!

They are a good idea but it was just my luck that when I needed it the other bloody driver had no insurance!

I do agree with you veilside, in a lot of situations a dash cam would probably settle the dispute of whose fault the crash is so it would seem a logical thing for an insurance company to do.

I see veilsides point and in the long run it would probably even lower our policies but I think having a dashcam provided by the insurance company may be a bad idea. You can only imagine that they'd tie together the ideas of the dashcam and one of those little black box things that records your driving data.

Nobody buys a 350z and then has a black box insurance for obvious reasons. Even if that means taking the car to a track. Black box says no.

Anyway, after what Dan @ flux said, I got myself one and will give my ins company a call to see if they would lower my premium. If not, oh well!

• 2 months later...

Why would having a dash cam lower your policy price? Your policy price is based on your risk and having a dash cam doesn't lower that.

I plan on getting one too, but its more for my own benefit than the insurers.

I think an insurer would insist you have the video recording every time you drove, in return for a discount. And if you don't, and you have an accident...would they deny your claim?

That would make for some boring driving. I'd rather pay the extra and drive how I like without being watched all the time.

I personally wouldn't tell my insurance company I have a dash cam, I would just show them and/or the police if I was in an accident and my camera caught it just so that the other party couldn't argue.

I have just got SJ4000 (I think) for £40 and it is brilliant, comes with loads of different mounts and the quality is brilliant. I have only just got it but once I have some decent recordings on it I will upload them so you can all see the quality.

I personally wouldn't tell my insurance company I have a dash cam, I would just show them and/or the police if I was in an accident and my camera caught it just so that the other party couldn't argue.

I have just got SJ4000 (I think) for £40 and it is brilliant, comes with loads of different mounts and the quality is brilliant. I have only just got it but once I have some decent recordings on it I will upload them so you can all see the quality.

The SJ is supposed to be a great camera, does it have dash cam facility like auto recording when it feels a nudge when parked and auto save etc?

If you had a camera and it recorded someone bumping into your car, say when in a parking space, would that be evidence enough to claim from them, or could they say, I didnt cause the damage it was already there for example?

I know legally they would be at fault for leaving the scene of an accident, but could the claim be valid?

• 1 month later...

This is of interest. Until just now I was not interested in dashcams (worrying that having one might affect the way I drive and at worst turn me into one of those losers who go around seeking dodgy traffic to make stupid clickbait "look at this crazy white van man" clips) but as I am about to buy a Zed, I need to switch the car on my existing policy and I've been running a few scenarios involving additional drivers and date of purchase etc. There was a dashcam option and I was surprised at the discount - not huge but would actually pay for the device itself!

Is GPS important on these? I should have thought not, apart from geek interest.

Dan @Adrian Flux - I see your approved list. So I guess I should get one of those as there will be no discount if I get one not on the list (my very quick research just now flagged up Transcend 220 which is not on your list). I am with AXA at the moment but come renewal time in April I think I will switch to Adrian Flux (I am going to do the RideDrive course between now and then too!).

Thanks all

Is GPS important on these? I should have thought not, apart from geek interest.

Thanks all

GPS not only records your co-ordinates but your speed too, could be important in case of an accident.

Pete

Pete,

It could also be incriminating in the event of an accident as well !!

I have just bought one for the 370 but will only provide recordings as and when necessary in the event of an incident to support any claim. I suspect an insurer would request recordings for any and all claims and the police may want to view footage if they pull you over or attend an incident.

Pete,

It could also be incriminating in the event of an accident as well !!

Of course, all the more reason to stick to the speed limits and drive sensibly. Anyway, only fitted mine this week and already recorded my first accident (car pulls out in front of boy racer going too fast in 30 limit, Both to blame, no injuries so didn't get involved). I witnessed a really nasty and spectacular accident last summer and as the car directly behind the collision between an HGV and a car was interviewed by the police, would have been great if I'd had it fitted then.

Pete