350z vs Cayman S

checkers88

So my friend owns a 2006 Porsche Cayman S (3.2 290hp) and I've not long had my 350z (276). I've always wondered how badly I would lose in a straight line race and today I had the chance to find out. We found a derelict road where we could get through the first 4 gears safely, much to my surprise/delight the Porsche was not only not faster but I was very very slightly pulling away from him. I underestimated my Z, from the posts I see in here not many have faith in the performance of their cars and until today I had never "raced" anything comparable. It's unfair to say which is faster on the whole as they were so incredibly close!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Haha great stuff.. Although I would rather have the refinement of the porker over the Z any day.

Well of course you get the Porsche name and looks but in truth, it's aged inside and out like any other car, the leather isn't great, there's scratches every where and it generally looks used. Plus he's had several issues with the car which have cost him heavily. So while its refined I think it ages just as much as any other sports car. Personally I'm not for show boating I just love driving, I think the Z is a perfect balance of performance, build, reliability and price. His Porker cost £10k more and could only just keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Also correct me if I'm wrong (going on my other posts, I'm wrong 75% of the time)

Isn't the Cayman S a 3.4 litre? And torque os quite close. So I'm going down to gearing and not having to rag a it out as much. That Porker must of sounded good though opened up?

Give them a bendy road, and I think we'd get left behind a bit cause of our, ummm, ballast shall we say ;)

Haha great stuff.. Although I would rather have the refinement of the porker over the Z any day.

This is why I wanted a 350z , it's so raw and unrefined. Just a really good feeling and makes it feel like a sports car. Stupid to say this, but the Porsche is just... too good ;)

Also I like my wallet how it is, not bruised, beaten and crying after any maintenance or mods ;)

I love the z and everything it stands for... Fun good value for money but I think a few more K and you'll have a much better car, well at least the keys will look half decent 😜 I would also feel a bit more flashy in the Porsche and I'm not a hater of Porsches because some drivers are cocks where's most 350z owners are quite down to earth and cool although you do get some real keen dudes who get excited about shiny plastic under the engine bay 😜 "ow look my engine bay look like a Nike trainer" all orange and stuff

The Cayman S is indeed a 3.4L.

It weighs less than a 350, and has more power than a DE. For the Zed to have been quicker, the Cayman driver must've been taking an age between shifts or not getting on the power quick enough. The gearing isn't that far apart on the two cars to make a difference at those speeds.

This has got to be down to variables, i.e. pilot, tyres etc. The Cayman is 0.5+ seconds faster to 60 off the line that the Zed, has more power, lighter and the engine is in a better place.

Also correct me if I'm wrong (going on my other posts, I'm wrong 75% of the time)

Isn't the Cayman S a 3.4 litre? And torque os quite close. So I'm going down to gearing and not having to rag a it out as much. That Porker must of sounded good though opened up?

Give them a bendy road, and I think we'd get left behind a bit cause of our, ummm, ballast shall we say ;)

You're absolutely right it is a 3.4 my mistake. We did take them through some twisties but again I think it's more down to driver ability at that point, it was very close even indeed. The Porsche sounds good yeah but call me biased, I think my Z sounds better, I just wished it revved as freely and as high.

Variables make a huge difference but we both had good rubber on, he did have his gf in so the weight might of been marginally closer to even but I did have 3/4 of a tank and he had 1/4. Swings and roundabouts. On paper the Porsche is faster but in the real world even with two decent drivers little separates them.

Edited by checkers88

The Cayman S is indeed a 3.4L.

It weighs less than a 350, and has more power than a DE. For the Zed to have been quicker, the Cayman driver must've been taking an age between shifts or not getting on the power quick enough. The gearing isn't that far apart on the two cars to make a difference at those speeds.

I have to agree with you on this I had a play with one in my sc zed and although I was a little quicker it wasn't buy miles

But then unless you drive a balistic missile in real world it never really is

Heard a Cayman giving it the beans recently in a local car park. I did laugh to myself as:

1. The car sounded know where near as good as my Z imo

2. My car costs half the price and will be as quick :lol:;)

• Like 1

Quite. And anyone who reckons "they will be about the same in the twisties" hasnt driven the Cayman, its noticeably better.

On paper the Porsche is faster but in the real world even with two decent drivers little separates them.

Sorry mate, but having driven both in the real world one after the other, the Porsche is faster and handles better, no question. This is why they cost more to start with and are now at least 3x the value of a used DE350. You werent having an all out closed road race, obviously, but if you had Im confident you would have seen a difference :)

Out of interest, why didnt you just have a go in each others cars? Its a much better comparison, Id suggest it for next time :)

Ive got a DE Zed at 14.3 to 100mph, 14.2 for a standing quarter at 99mph. Power to weight is 184/ton, 60-100 8.4 seconds.

A 2009 Cayman S is 11.2 and 13.1 @ 107. Power to weight 237hp/ton, 60-100 5.9 seconds.

Even with a bit of manufacturer exaggeration, thats too far apart to be arguable.

Bearing in mind that Porsche universally undersell their estimates to make sure they never get caught out, even more so.

My old car was 0-60 in 4.2s by the book. I regularly timed it at 3.9s easy, and given that the car has LC it can't be hard for Porsche to get accurate times for it if they really wanted to ;)

I really need a ride in your Beemo at some point, Doc. Sounds f*cking awesome.

• Like 1

I was only out on a hoon with a Cayman last week. It was not the S version though, so 2.7?

Anyway, the Zed kept up with it no issue. We had a few straight stretches where he was in front and we both planted it; the Zed gained on it no problem and I even had a passenger on board. Both our cars are stock.

The was a E46 M3 (smg) at the hoon too and there was not much between that and the Zed either.

Edited by GT Driver