1. I have to admit I haven't heard a Zed with an aftermarket exhaust IRL, but the Zed as stock has a beautiful note IMO.
2. I wasn't saying they aren't out there, but if I found one in comparable Zed condition and miles, it started to approach 5 figure territory Which I just didn't have.
3. But then I lose the OEM look of the Jag dash. A flashy Sony etc head unit wouldn't look that great in a Jag IMO.
4. Ref No. 2
5. I am not disputing it's worth good money if it's a great example, but my pocket just wasn't deep enough. I wouldn't say it's twice the car, though. Yes it has an extra 500/700cc, 20bhp and 2 more pots, the seats are like sitting in a palace and even your shopping gets to feel comfortable in the rear storage area/seats, but the Zed has more gadgets and easier to customize to your exact taste.
6. Yup, but his is one of those XK's that won't be for sale because they are so perfect.
I have no doubt an XKR with it's extra 120 supercharged HP will @*!# all over a Zed, but I was after an 8, not an R, insurance would rip me a new one if I went with a 4.2 V8 400bhp monster!
completly understand where you're both coming from,
you're right about rust, i have a few areas to fix at some point, at the moment i'm making sure its mechanically perfect before i play with noise and looks etc.
standard xhaust has 5 silencers in it which is great on long drives as its so quiet.
as for gadgets my XKR has more than the zed, auto lights, auto wipers, auto dimming rear view and auto dimming wing mirrors. sat nav, handsfree, adaptive cruise. full electric memory seats.
but you are right when it comes to running one. its not a jag if something isn't broken on it. but if your handy with a spanner then there is lots of 2nd hand parts, basically avoid jag dealerships unless its a part you need. hadit a year and spent about £200 on parts to fix things etc.
its the old horses for course debate.
as for parts there is a fair bit of fiddling to be done on the jag, but none of it cheap.