-
Posts
2,628 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by cs2000
-
Hey all, so after seeing some inspiration over here http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/73480-headlight-cleanup/ I thought id give this a go, and document the process for anyone else who is nervous at doing this, like I was The entire process takes a little while, the longer you spend, the better the results, so bare this in mind. You will need the following. 1x, Painters Masking Tape, 1x Polishing Mop, 1x Foam Sanding Block, 1x sheet of 1000,1500,2000,3000 grit sandpaper and (because Rob63 kindly sent me some) some 8000 grit micromesh and finally something to polish them, personally I used Meguiars Plast-x and Autosol. So, mask off the area with the tape as shown. After this photo I doubled the size of the masked area just to be safe. You can see the offending yellow patches circled on the upper faces of both headlights. So, now get the 1000 grit paper and wrap it round the foam sanding block, wet it (seeing as were using wet & dry), then sand sand sand until its all one texture. In my example, I sanded in straight lines and did 50 motions, so if I was sanding from top to bottom, id hit the top 50 times. I then moved the pad left, and repeated, trying as much as possible to keep the strokes all in 1 direction. After 10 mins orso, this is what it looks like. You will notice some change of direction in the sanding on the front of the lights, it was difficult to get this area sanding top to bottom so switched left to right for the bottom 3rd of the light. Next, wipe it all down, then go at it again with 1500 grit, alternating the stroke direction this time. Again I kept at 50 strokes as this seemed to get rid of the previous sanding marks. Hmm, not a lot better, this is where I started to panic. I forgot to take photos of the 2000 grit level, so the next one is the 3000, and again, keep alternating the stroke direction & keep the paper wet. This looks a lot better, but still.... So, finally as mentioned rob63 sent me some 8000 grit micromesh. This thing feels kinda like leather, its hard to imagine it does ANYTHING let alone sands plastic. Its also extremely durable. My guess is that the sanding particles are so close together, it cannot get clogged like regular paper does. So, use the same process of keeping the paper wet, but this time using 100 strokes, you get this. Much better. Now. get out your drill and the polishing mop and then polish of your choice. I started with Autosol as its more abrasive, and then switched to Meguiars Plast-x afterwards. After a through polish on each we end up with this. From here I washed and waxed everything and even the micro scratches you can see in the last picture have gone. In trust, it probably need another 10 mins orso per headlight using a proper rotary polisher, or some serious hand work, but looks 10x better than before, especially after a bit of wax. very pleased overall
-
SO, did this at the weekend. Mine is a 04 plate car currently on 59,000 miles. Passenger side bolt came off, I used a 2ft breaker bar. Had to keep pushing it but the bolt suddenly snapped loose and I hit my hand on the floor ouch. Anyway, then got some wood and hit the axle out, only thing is, I couldn't really see where to grease, so I unwound the bolt some more, then some more, then some more until it was only on by 2-3 threads, hit it again and the bolt went wonky....uh-oh... Luckily I took it off and saw only minimal damage. After lubricating best I could I very slowly and carefully hand tightened the nut (using the socket for a better grip) and forced it to go on level. I damaged the first 2 ish twists on the bolt end, but the nut was largely fine, once past the initial few threads it went on and torqued up fine. Spin round and do the same on drivers, oh no... Got to undoing the bolt and left it soaking with Plusgas for 15 mins or so just in case it was seized, got out the bar and no way in hell was it moving, so soaked it again, still nothing, tried using some heat, STILL nothing. Luckily I called a garage close to me and they said to pop by. This was 11:30 and the garage closes at 12, so I dropped the car down off of the jack, oh $h1T.... I forgot to put the wheel back on!!! so now i was stuck with 3 wheels on my wagon and a jack stuck under the rear dif with no room for me to get anything into the jack to lift it up again! lol. Luckily I had a hammer so I lifted the jack handle part up, and then hit it down with the hammer, this raised the car an inch orso, enough for me to get the proper handle in. Thankfully the jack being stuck on the dif stopped it from hitting the deck, but the brake disk was only clear of the floor by 2 cm orso, very close. I quickly popped over with all my tools in the car and he got it undone in a few seconds as they had a bigger tool, im guessing a 4-5 ft breaker bar, still took all his weight for a few seconds to get it to move however, and again, when it let go it suddenly let go and the mechanic almost face planted the floor, I actually thought he had snapped the breaker bar by the speed he went down. Anyway, I tightened it up with my tools, went home and then un-did it again and greased that side too. So two points to note here. 1. The bolts are liable to suddenly let go, but need a hell of a lot of force, be aware that your likely to hurt your hands or face plant the floor unless using air tools. 2. As for moving the axle, I found a piece of wood was great initially, but it was actually better to totally remove the nut and fold up some thick cardboard, shove this inside the hole so it covers the bolt and then lightly tap this with a hammer until you've moved it enough. This allowed me to get a larger gap in which it was easier to lubricate, and as long as your careful you wont lose the axle. 3. Even on an 04 with medium mileage the axle moved very freely, you shouldn't need to beat the heck out of it to get it to move. TLDR: clicking solved, 1 hand and 1 mechanic slightly injuired.
-
All gone (possibly), people whove got them you know who you are . And to go back ontopic, OP has requested one
-
Strange, it SHOULD (logic would say) be a physical water sensor. Way back in the days of 206's my GTI had auto wipers, the sensor was in the rear mirror stalk. You could cover the sensor up, blow on it, push it, shout at it, but nothing aside from getting it wet would trigger the wipers. It even worked it you licked your finger and hold it on the sensor, but as I say, didn't work when your finger was dry.
-
Nothing, the reasons being, I don't have a 370, so cant verify 110% that they work (despite many comments from my source saying they do), and I got them for nothing so im not profiting on that, just drop me a PM. 2 left now.
-
Oh, I cant agree more with the statement of marking. Mine was 100% perfect, until it left RT's where it seemingly developed some marks on the way home! not scratches, but almost like swirl marks you get on regular paintwork, but in a straight line. Think its just one of those things.
-
Don't worry about it mate, the black ones are more expensive then the silver because they're more expensive to buy, and on 75% of the orders I get customs charges, others I don't, and silver I never do . Payment received and noted on the first page
-
Also something I considered before the Zed (albeit the turbo version, which STILL manages 30MPG!). Test drove one and was impressed with the handling but the rather sparse interior, and the inevitability of having to use this thing day in day out in all weathers and I soon changed my mind, just wasn't practical for my lifestyle, even with no kids. If you can live with it though, they're lovely cars to drive, have to stir the gears a lot more than the Zed as I didn't think it pulled greatly at low RPM's, but push it and you will leave almost anything behind you.
-
I don't know, don't have a 370 myself, have just managed to get a few disks, the install is on 5 DVD's. The first DVD just updates the system software, the other 4 include the latest full European maps as the 2013 disk isn't yet available. 3 sets left now.
-
553bhp & 465 lb/ft 370Z Full Amuse with Greddy Twin Turbo
cs2000 replied to Adrian@TORQEN's topic in Member Build Projects
So whens the order for the "NI0212503 - GTS (Ultimate Sport Performance: Dual Side) Ti - $2,998" kit going in then Just be careful with the FI on the auto box. (disclaimer, Ive no ides when it comes to auto boxes so...) BM's brother supercharged his Auto Celica, the box lasted about 2 weeks before is exploded. He went from 190 BHP to about 350 ish. Perhaps the Zeds box is stronger, I certainly hope so! -
Im voting for lack of water, or a block in the system. The stalks wont pop out if the pump is dead, the system uses the water pressure to move them out (there are no separate motors or anything.
-
You're supposed to be able to treat vinyl exactly the same as paint. When doing a full details on mine (vinyl roof) I don't use any compound or polish on the vinyl, but it gets the same shampoo, wax and detailer as the rest of the car, all Meguiars stuff. Mines still good 6 months down the line.
-
Look at the shape, they're for DE models, roughly upto 06. Anyone who wants these, this is a bargain for genuine Nissan ones.
-
553bhp & 465 lb/ft 370Z Full Amuse with Greddy Twin Turbo
cs2000 replied to Adrian@TORQEN's topic in Member Build Projects
haha, this has progressed quickly! lol I love the amuse kit from the previous page -
Wow, what a busy day, loads of work top do on my own car, then 3 sets of reflectors to build! longsh07 - I collected yours from the PO today, all built and undergoing testing/drying. Will be posted Tuesday DannyG & Madhatter - I had to go to another post office location to pay customs fees on these but I expected it anyway, this is what's delayed yours otherwise they would have been here on Tuesday. Anyway, same as longsh07, theyre all built and undergoing testing/drying. Will be posted Tuesday, im sending you a payment PM not to ensure theres no hold ups
-
I have a powerflow stainless system on mine, and when I got it I don't think the owner had ever cleaned it, corrosion and dirt everywhere. I got round to doing it after owning the car for a good 6 weeks orso and all it took was 10 mins per tip and they look like new, just 1 small spot left. That was just using Autosol and a MF cloth its amazing stuff!
-
Help Needed: Brembo Inner pads wearing faster than Outer Pads
cs2000 replied to Oz Striker's topic in Brakes
Was the K pin bent before do you know? Could be as simple as it just being bent during a pad install. They aren't very strong as their job isn't to withstand much pressure, just to stop the retaining pin that holds the calipers from wiggling out. -
553bhp & 465 lb/ft 370Z Full Amuse with Greddy Twin Turbo
cs2000 replied to Adrian@TORQEN's topic in Member Build Projects
I think youre already sold! lol -
If anyone needs this, send me a PM. I have 5 sets left, includes system software upgrade as well as European maps.
-
Help Needed: Brembo Inner pads wearing faster than Outer Pads
cs2000 replied to Oz Striker's topic in Brakes
Always happens mate, mine were the same, roughly 2-3mm difference on inners compared to outers when I last changed mine. Also, track day on Pagid brakes ! lol That K pin, is it bent, ir just moved over, sometimes the round pins that hold the brake pads rotate slightly and will rotate the K pins with them, shouldn't bend them though. -
How do you clean yours in the sun/heat?
cs2000 replied to The Bounty Bar Kid's topic in Car Detailing
I just clean it in direct sunlight and deal with the heat. Oh, and spray myself with the jet washer... -
You could get a Blowover type job for somewhere between your 600-1000 budget im thinking, but not a proper full respray job.
-
553bhp & 465 lb/ft 370Z Full Amuse with Greddy Twin Turbo
cs2000 replied to Adrian@TORQEN's topic in Member Build Projects
Agreed, however that 70 does looks sexy I don't know, no sooner is your project completed, you want a new toy! haha -
Im afraid to visit that URL from work, so I wont
-
1 DAY ONLY! No Reserve! My Zed on ebay!
cs2000 replied to Luke0549's topic in Spotted on Ebay or Other
if you had this up for sale 6 months ago id have bitten your hand off. GLWTS mate