Jump to content

coldel

Ex Team Member
  • Posts

    14,064
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by coldel

  1. coldel

    GT-Four

    Clean, clay, machine polish, victorias concours wax and bingo...
  2. Or the 'squarest' grand prix on the streets of Milton Keynes...
  3. Stunning car Jay, personally I would stay as you are but each to their own when it comes to styling we all have our own tastes.
  4. OK good, post up as much info on codes, reports etc and the guys will give an opinion.
  5. Did you not get a report code from the car? Usually that will tell you the issue?
  6. I know! But its on topic, kind of
  7. Gas and Oil is also free like wind, solar and tides, you have to pay to extract it just in the same way you have to extract and convert wind and tides - the difference is its RENEWABLE. But one thing solar, wind and tide power isn't is free as the cost to build, convert, transfer (which is a challenge for offshore wind farms where power is lost in the transfer process) and then store the power all costs money just like burning stuff. Its a common misconception about power. I have had many interesting chats about power (one of my good friends is an MD at an energy company) - the challenge for cars moving to EV at scale is the infrastructure and energy supply. Oil is non issue in terms of supplying energy to households (as it only accounts for 1% or something like that), the issue is moving cars away from petrol into using a different channel of power i.e. via the home. Of course in the UK demand over summer for energy drops as we warm up and we have a positive net use of energy, over winter we do not - we have a number of permanent energy lines into Europe where we run a deficit over the course of the year in terms of what we sell into Europe vs what we buy, if we had energy surplus this wouldn't be the case. I am pretty sure no one on here thinks coal and gas are the future of energy production, as its not renewable, but the governments provision for this is not there. They are investing in wind but turbines are massively expensive (which is why billions of tax payers money subsidises energy companies to build them) and are highly volatile in their operation. It seems a no brainer to just build a tonne of renewable energy generators but its expensive and volatile in its output.
  8. coldel

    GT-Four

    Probably another couple of years, maybe more who knows! It ticks many boxes, its quick, 4WD, four seats, great handling, etc. There are already a small but growing waiting list of potential owners in the US joining FB pages etc which could drive up values when it hits 25 years old in 2019.
  9. coldel

    GT-Four

    It came into the country in 2009 with that paint, it may or may not have been painted prior to that in Japan. Its had two owners prior to me, 1995 to 2009 1 owner in Japan (I have his name and address!) and one owner in the UK 2009 to 2015 (who kept the car stored indoors for the 6 years of ownership). So its possible its original but I would say more likely its had work done. Either way its was the overall condition of the car that made me buy it in the first instance when I was desperately looking for a 300zx!
  10. I agree though, ebay shouldnt be so lazy around preventing counterfeit goods being sold on their website - annoyingly though they dont care because they earn more because of sellers on its site. It takes huge action like recently when You Tube got called out for not bothering to deal actively with extremist content on its site, only when major brands pulled out did they care.
  11. coldel

    GT-Four

    Friday clean done, had to wait for the shadow to come across the house before doing it (nothing worse than washing/cleaning in the sun!) but looking pretty damn fine for an old girl 22 years old this year! Will give it a machine polish next week
  12. On this I also agree, I dont have a drive, a few houses up a guy plugs his Golf into an extension cable lying on the pavement, if anyone falls over that...claim!
  13. coldel

    GT-Four

    Babysteps...
  14. coldel

    GT-Four

    Actually, got some offcuts left, might do the ashtray too!
  15. coldel

    GT-Four

    Yes definitely better - I will most likely hydrodip it brushed aluminium eventually, wanted to try a few different looks first
  16. coldel

    GT-Four

    Well I ditched the plastidip interior and braved wrapping it in brushed alu. Decided to fork out nigh on £20 for an 80x30cm proper 3M stuff and god was it easier! I had some cheap and cheerful Chinese vinyl tried with that but the intricacies of the dash parts meant it didnt stretch or adhesive well enough. This 3M stuff just stuck, shaped, stretched and got rid of bubbles so much better. Well worth the investment. Anyway, hard to see from the photo but its brushed aluminium all the way and matches the gear knob and handbrake. Also got some new extended wheel nuts in neo chrome and got some new Rota stickers for the wheels in black as the previous red ones were peeling and looking a bit worse for wear.
  17. Yep going to be fun - really hope that the crazy hot weather continues - I will be on the Japmad stand pretty much opposite you guys
  18. Hydrogen fuel cell cars don't solve the problem of energy generation. Hydrogen is an incredibly unstable molecule, it wants to react with everything all the time. Isolating it, storing it, transporting it, compressing it is hugely more complicated than petroleum. It took an electrician 30 minutes to install a 32amp car charger at my house 2 years ago, and that charge rate is enough to fill even the Tesla using nothing but really cheap off-peak night electricity. I plug the car in when I get home and wake up every morning with a fully charged car... Far more convenient than having to find even a petrol station to fill up every week. Hydrogen fuel cell cars are like mini discs, trying to be the future but not able to look beyond the way things were done in the past. Electricity is so easy to generate compared to messing around with hydrogen, and if you have a way store it in a battery why would you want the hassle of putting in extra steps?? The public has already pretty much spoken on hydrogen fuel cell cars versus EVs. Whilst Tesla, GM, Nissan, are shifting 100ks of EVs and soon to shift significantly more as battery prices fall, Toyota is stuck trying to flog their Dodo and with not much success..... The MIRAI maybe expensive but a Tesla P100D is more than double the price, yet still no one is buying the MIRAI whilst Tesla current has a 2 month back order on the P100D even in the US market!! Oh I agree, plugging the car in overnight works for more households than getting a hydrogen car - however the above still stands, if half the cars on the road became EV overnight the country would have catastrophic black outs and an energy provision crisis without the capability to move all that energy demand from petrol pumps to electricity. Its great Tesla, Jaguar etc. are having a go at EVs but the government has no plan that I have read of to meet the power provision of this 'predicted' seismic shift to EVs in the country.
  19. The government has such a large part to play in all this, it needs to decide what to do and support it. UK average electricity consumption is something like 4500 to 5000 kWh per year. Lets say for arguments sake the model X 90 takes 90 kWh to charge each time (it takes more as I understand it as the actual on board charger uses energy to charge) and you charge the car say once a week that just over 4000 kWh of power to run your car doubling your household energy consumption. I keep shouting about infrastructure, and its boring, no where near as exciting as pointing at shiny technology and things that move on their own etc. but the tech has never been the problem, for EV to really take off the UK needs to essentially double its electricity power output (assuming all the above is true which I appreciate its not likely to be) - so all this talk of having the majority of cars on the road as EV in a few years time doesn't seem to sit in line with the governments plans on energy provision?
  20. The W brace on the last photo isnt a problem, that can be swapped out, however the rest doesn't look particularly good - I am sure some others more knowledgable can chip in shortly...
  21. I dont think there is that myth, as you say the numbers are there, but also the numbers that show that Scotland would have fell into serious economic crisis with an energy economy over the last couple of years, there needs a proper plan, you cannot base a countries long term future on fossil fuels. RE the thread, we had a scottish independence thread.
  22. Have a read through the original independence thread this was covered. Interestingly the 'take' compared to the 'give' has dropped since the referendum for Scotland, in that England produces more than Scotland per person and takes less, I read that somewhere as the impending row between Sturgeon and May was brewing.
  23. I think the danger of being so energy reliant is when energy prices fluctuate, I think about a year post referendum 'Scottish Oil' had dropped a significant amount in price. Yes financial markets fell to pieces in 2008 but they are certainly less liable to fluctuations that energy is. And as above, Scotland must pay its fair share of debt. Other things like Trident will be relocated as NS hates that also I would guess (happy to be proven wrong) - then who owns what in terms of defence? We divvying up the armed forces based on population size? Separation is huge, so much is co-owned, I see NS rushing to get the vote in but not rushing to provide a valid exit strategy should the vote go in her favour. Or is it another case of getting her name in lights then shirking the responsibility of implementation?
  24. I have the faster Toyota
×
×
  • Create New...