Jump to content

coldel

Ex Team Member
  • Posts

    14,064
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by coldel

  1. Styling isnt great at all, it looks like a Tesla
  2. So, how did it drive?
  3. Yes, I would. 1) Even after upgrades it would be lighter 2) It;s much prettier (subjective, but hey, that's what I believe) 3) It's a nimble sports car by nature, not a semi muscle/GT car like the Zs. 4) If they did give it 300hp, they'd probably do that with a turbo on the existing 2.0 powerplant. For me this would be epic, it would HALVE my tax compared to the 350Z and be less than 1/3rd of what I would pay for a 370Z in administrative costs/tax alone, solely due to displacement. If it has a V6 in it like a 370z its heavier, bigger brakes etc all add weight. With a 300bhp 2 litre you are now entering VW R territory (entry level Scirocco R £32k ish?) where your BRZ is less practical, maybe better looking (subjective), probably better handling (which would have to be revised to cope with different drive/power/torque etc). On the face of it, you get a fair bit of drivers enthusiasts car for the money - its not 300bhp but then neither is the price. Should Toyota sink another £10m+ or whatever sunk cost it needs to into making this faster? Interestingly, based on said internet search, Subaru claims that sales are bang on what they expected and Toyota say sales (via Scion in the US) are also bang on target its just some markets including the UK it hasnt sold as well as they thought.
  4. You cannot argue it didnt sell because of what it is now and that it would have sold by more by giving it more power though. So, you add 100bhp, you need better transmission, brakes, suspension, better engine etc. which probably puts it up to £35k instead of £25k - this puts it in a different bucket completely and a different market. Would you then buy this over a 370z at £35k? I can see the sales arent high relatively, but I am not sure what the sales targets were for the car? If someone has those to hand (maybe the internet can provide)
  5. Those though aren't really segments in brand marketing terms. For me a more defined segment for this car would be entry level sports car for the driving enthusiast with relatively low running costs. Its going to be a small segment of the overall customer base, but I think they get a lot more media attention and headlines for the brand with this car than any of their best selling models.
  6. If it had 300bhp out the box then its either a turbo engine or a larger NA, which incurs significant cost and possibly a move away from the ethos of the car that the maker intended vs their target audience. Would Subaru want this 300bhp with their current range of cars?
  7. Scotland voted to stay in the UK (more overwhelmingly than Brexit) and are a valued and equal member of the UK, when it came to Brexit each vote cast by someone in Scotland was as valuable as someone casting it in England or Wales. What that doesn't mean is that Scotland has an equal say 1:1 as England when the majority of the population is in England. So Scotland had devolved powers to better self govern, but in terms of deciding constitutional change Scotland as part of the UK (as they voted for) had an equal and fair vote. The feeling will always be there that 'its not fair' because such a huge amount of population lives in the South East 10m in London alone which is more than Scotland in total so I get why it feels that way. I do however agree that any huge constitutional change with the combination of the devolved powers means that Scotland has the right to ask for this, just that I do not agree with the implementation where NS deliberately wants to have it whilst the UK negotiates the exit from the EU, as that gives NS more capability to focus on her objectives whilst the UK government has its resources elsewhere. It makes complete sense to know the outcome of the exit before voting for this.
  8. Because Scotland could re-apply, granted there are challenges, but they can re-apply whereas as part of the UK they can't. Sturgeon though as mentioned has done well to dodge questions on currency, policy, security, etc so far I don't think she is equipped as a leader to do all this. The reliance on oil prices as an economy does create cause for concern, in the same way the UK economy relies so heavily on financial services where we have depleted industry sectors.
  9. As I understand it she doesn't have a mandate until Theresa Maybe gives her the authority, Scotland can still have a referendum its just not legally binding. I agree to a degree that constitutional change warrants this especially given the level of support to remain in Scotland, but I do not agree with NS doing it as she is so narrow minded and has tunnel vision for a separation I genuinely do not think she has anyone except her own interests in mind. There is no thought for the people in anything she does.
  10. coldel

    Honda Nsx

    I think they look stunning, and not one to 'go with the crowd' would have one in the blink of an eye over and R8 - I mean if we are talking badge snobbery its no worse.
  11. It was in terms of what engine they put in etc.
  12. Worth keeping an eye on what Toyota turn out with the new Supra as well
  13. Is that with the same company?
  14. All sounds a bit familiar though Dan!
  15. Go drive in the rain for half an hour and open the bonnet, generally find plenty of water on engine bay parts - I have seen lots of videos of people lightly jetwashing engine bays, not done it myself though
  16. As per the news report above I posted, some premiums are shooting up if you are a younger driver etc. it doesnt appear to be like for like the comparison to last year even if you live in the same place etc.
  17. They do feel like they have been around a while now...bit like the GTR. Amazing how quickly generations of cars come and go nowadays.
  18. As above, job, location etc contribute more to insurance premiums in some cases than type of car. It seems once all the stats are gathered together that you are less likely to have a zed stolen, or crashed, than a Mokka - so that could be a reason for the price. Then other cars have huge premiums, to insure my Skyline R33 was twice as much as it was the zed.
  19. There have been some changes in insurance laws http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/27/insurance-premiums-young-drivers-could-rise-1000-government/ Although yes you have to do the usual ring around come renewal time, there is always a cheaper quote out there with just as much cover as your renewal.
  20. I moved post code and it changed one digit and my insurance went up 15% - car is now parked approximately 100 feet from where it was previously on the street. As they said at the time though, there has to be black and white borders somewhere and I was unfortunate.
  21. I am trying to remember the name of the kids film, its animated, but it is the future where humans sit on floating seats and have turned into bulbous blobs and lost the ability to walk. Its a comedy, but it also has a slight edge to it...
  22. I have been in one of these, they have them as a parking option at Heathrow airport. Quite uncomfortable, slow and jerky. Felt like I was sat in a bumper car at a fairground. That said, was nicely convenient to just jump into instead of waiting for a bus across the airport.
  23. Many things still remain unsolved though - no guarantee it will be.
  24. Yeah I know you were jesting. But it was a good point! I am struggling with the legalities of it, if someone doesn't respond quick enough to being given control and someone else dies, does that make it manslaughter? But then whats the point? I know when I travel in cars as a passenger i am never going to be as alert as if I am driving. I don't think a car can just hand back control in a split second, it has to be a transition.
  25. And you have a coca cola in one hand and a book in the other whilst leaning over the seat and talking to the person behind you probably unaware of what road you are on let alone the impending incident... So many implications, I can see some partial implementation (we already have it to a degree with lane control etc) but the idea that in 20 years we are all sitting there having a snooze whilst cars take us 100 miles from A to B is quite frankly not realistic.
×
×
  • Create New...