Nismo uprev

sipar69

Results of yesterday's uprev at Abbey for anyone who is interested.

Mark tells me that the ecu had reacted to my breathing mods in a slightly odd way - the car was actually running a few hp below that of a bone stock Nismo. Apparently, the post uprev figures below represent good gains in both hp and torque.

Now...I booked the uprev mainly because I've been getting an occasional CEL due to the high flow cats and wanted a permanent solution. I wasn't expecting the car to feel much different, as when I had my previous 370 upreved the difference seemed negligible. This time, the change is much more noticeable. The car feels 'healthier' and more responsive - a bit like it's been on a diet and fitness plan. :). I'm not suggesting the difference is night and day - I think I've learnt that part of appreciating an uprev is to have realistic expectations - but this time I feel like it was definitely worth the money.

dce7eeb8e6542bf62f3569ee3fded7fd_zps76skei3w.jpg

Edited by sipar69

Huh? So pre uprev it should be 285? Seems very low? Transmission losses of 60hp (344bhp stock so I would have thought 310 at the hubs?). I know mark has uprevved a lot of these for GT Academy but surprised to hear it loses so much to the hubs. 27hp gain is good for hfc + cobra though and glad to hear the nuanced improvement. How's throttle response now? Can you blip the throttle more readily?

Edited by Dynamic Turtle

Huh? So pre uprev it should be 285? Seems very low? Transmission losses of 60hp (344bhp stock so I would have thought 310 at the hubs?). I know mark has uprevved a lot of these for GT Academy but surprised to hear it loses so much to the hubs. 27hp gain is good for hfc + cobra though and glad to hear the nuanced improvement. How's throttle response now? Can you blip the throttle more readily?

Throttle response definitely feels improved. :)

Worth bearing in mind that there is discussion on the U.S. forums about how different dynos give different baseline results - some being more 'conservative' than others; so I personally think that the most useful figures are actually the before and after on the same dyno. I'm just looking forward to no more CEL and enjoying the improved feel of the car. :)

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

Yep - 282 to 309. Apparently the stock Nismo should make about 285.

My 2009 370 with the Stillen exhaust and uprev made 309 @ the hubs (and before Cosworth filters were fitted) which as the standard Nismo exhaust is much quieter (noting Sipar's need for some more noise) it is also down on power that is really disappointing for something that should be giving some useful increase in power with the Nismo label over the standard 370 output.

Every 370Z we run are different never seen to run the same figures

Colin I think your car was down on a stock car before we tuned it;

Sipars was just as I though with running a stock cal on a car with HFC's.

Sipars car is very low mileage as well.

still these car with some tuning are making nearly 100bhp per litre in NA form which is pretty good I feel.

• Like 1

Mark. When you upreved mine the Stillen that had been fitted for a few thousand miles, but my point above is that I find it disappointing that a Nismo branded 370 is still underpowered compared to 370's fitted with one of the regular aftermarket exhausts. You would have thought Nissan with the Nismo would at least match, if not better, a mildly tuned standard 370 that could outperform a Nismo.....on the bar stools at least :lol:

Yep - 282 to 309. Apparently the stock Nismo should make about 285.

My 2009 370 with the Stillen exhaust and uprev made 309 @ the hubs (and before Cosworth filters were fitted) which as the standard Nismo exhaust is much quieter (noting Sipar's need for some more noise) it is also down on power that is really disappointing for something that should be giving some useful increase in power with the Nismo label over the standard 370 output.

Agreed, but don't forget a lot of the Nismo upgrades are suspension and aero related not just power (Euro5 noise limits designed for the most conservative of regimes).

• Like 1

Oh and brake lines, awesome alloys and tyres and a bit of other tinkering plus all the options. I mean, how much can you expect for a £10k upgrade? Look at the difference in 330i and M3 (£20k), 911 and GT3 (£40k) GTR and Nismo (£40k). Huge mark ups in line with big changes.

Edited by Dynamic Turtle
  • Like 1

Oh and brake lines, awesome alloys and tyres and a bit of other tinkering plus all the options. I mean, how much can you expect for a £10k upgrade? Look at the difference in 330i and M3 (£20k), 911 and GT3 (£40k) GTR and Nismo (£40k). Huge mark ups in line with big changes.

370z + £10k upgrade = over 550bhp :)

• Like 1

My only concern about forced induction, from reading the threads of some of those who've gone down that route, is that it seems as though it can occasionally involve quite a bit of additional hassle and expense to resolve issues that arise following the conversion.

Part of me quite likes the idea of going that way in a few years to keep things interesting, but another part of me thinks I could put the money towards three letters......GTR :)

• Like 1

Mark. When you upreved mine the Stillen that had been fitted for a few thousand miles, but my point above is that I find it disappointing that a Nismo branded 370 is still underpowered compared to 370's fitted with one of the regular aftermarket exhausts. You would have thought Nissan with the Nismo would at least match, if not better, a mildly tuned standard 370 that could outperform a Nismo.....on the bar stools at least :lol:

I'm not disputing your figures Colin but I do have one observation from personal experience which probably goes to show why numbers are only so much use in the end (on the bar stools) :).

When I got the Nismo the first person to drive it out of the dealership was my better half, Jane - she's not interested in cars but since she was good enough to keep me company all the way to Bradford I offered her the chance to drive the first bit of the journey back. She wouldn't know horse-power from donkey-power, but her very first comment as we set off down the motorway was along the lines of - "It feels a lot quicker". That was comparing it to the 370 we had both just taken turns in driving up to Bradford, and which she drove regularly. That car had a Stillen exhaust, HKS filters and an uprev from Abbey. My reaction was exactly the same when we swapped over - instant feeling of the car being quicker - not massively but definitely a bit sharper. :)

Edited by sipar69

My only concern about forced induction, from reading the threads of some of those who've gone down that route, is that it seems as though it can occasionally involve quite a bit of additional hassle and expense to resolve issues that arise following the conversion.

Part of me quite likes the idea of going that way in a few years to keep things interesting, but another part of me thinks I could put the money towards three letters......GTR :)

I love my 70 and live it charged ..but yes nigly things do arise.

I quite like tinkering with it and learning about the way things work

Bit if you just want to jump in and drive then I'd save and have a gtr

Thing with gtr there so fast and so cabable you need to be breaking every law in the land to have fun

• Like 1

Did you notice a change in exhaust note after the uprev?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think so.

I love my 70 and live it charged ..but yes nigly things do arise.

I quite like tinkering with it and learning about the way things work

Bit if you just want to jump in and drive then I'd save and have a gtr

Thing with gtr there so fast and so cabable you need to be breaking every law in the land to have fun

True. I've been reading the threads about the supercharged cars with interest. I can imagine it's interesting if you like working through stuff, tinkering and modifying etc but to be honest it seems pretty daunting to someone like me who doesn't have much technical know how. I'm not sure I could stand the stress or the expense :)

• Like 1