Pro's & Cons

Looking to sell my self built MK Indy (Loosely based on a Caterham) and going for a more yearly usable car.

Z's have always been a favourite of mine so the big question is ..... the good and if any bad points regarding ownership.

Being as the only Z i have driven in the past was a 240 back in the very early 80's i understand this will be different to say the least, i do need to have a drive of a 350 to make sure it is actually what i want.

So .... what to look out for would be a great help.

I will be looking for a 2006 and before model for the obvious tax break as the drive will be a 2nd car.i do not see the point of paying £400 plus for road fund when the car will be in the garage for most of the week.

Thanks in anticipation

Bob

Hello and welcome Bob :wave:

Owned mine for nearly 18 months now and its all been good.

I don't drive mine every day either, but don't mind forking out for the £500 road tax on the HR

I think its worth every penny as I love driving it!

They are pretty bombproof, so good luck with your search :)

• Like 1

Big thanks for the welcomes and replies.

So i guess without anything in particular to look out for i will concentrate on service history and general condition.

Are any tyres wheels a preference ?, costs if possible.

I'm fortunate to have a good relationship with my local Nissan dealership as we run two small Nissans and i do know one of the salesmen runs a 350z, he advised to look for service history which is kind of nailed on anyway.

Edited by Bobob

Hello and welcome. Service history would be good, for a starter. A well looked after basic model would enable you to modify should you wish to go along the modified route. If it had Rays alloy wheels, with lowish mileage, that would be a great start. All cars after April 2006 brings along the road tax price hike. Best of luck with your search. :)

• Like 1

just check the window motors work!! lol

And if the windows don't work make sure you check to see if the window lock switch is off before pulling the door cards off and ordering spare parts ;)

As the guys said lots of threads on this...for me top 3 pros = cheap entry to genuine V6 GT car territory, well built car and engine, great styling for what is now a 10 year+ car. 3 cons = lardy and not as chuckable as you might be used to, not much scope for tuning and what you can do is pretty expensive for what you get back and it has a daft boot :lol:

• Like 1

And if the windows don't work make sure you check to see if the window lock switch is off before pulling the door cards off and ordering spare parts ;)

As the guys said lots of threads on this...for me top 3 pros = cheap entry to genuine V6 GT car territory, well built car and engine, great styling for what is now a 10 year+ car. 3 cons = lardy and not as chuckable as you might be used to, not much scope for tuning and what you can do is pretty expensive for what you get back and it has a daft boot :lol:

Thanks for that, lardy is fine for me as i can get a bit carried away in the seven, i'm 54 this year and sometimes hard cornering hurts :wacko:

As for tuning i think i've had enough laptop mapping on my current car. I really would like it standard and just turn the key (must be getting old)

i'm 54 this year and sometimes hard cornering hurts. I really would like it standard and just turn the key (must be getting old)

Wait 'till you get to my age......I can just about get out the seat at times!! :lol:

• Like 1

i'm 54 this year and sometimes hard cornering hurts. I really would like it standard and just turn the key (must be getting old)

Wait 'till you get to my age......I can just about get out the seat at times!! :lol:

350Zedd that is the reason the 7 has to go, i've even made a quick release boss for the steering to aid my entry/exit :)

• Like 1

Would have to be a very early 2006 model to benefit from the cheaper tax as the rev-up versions first appeared in March and any unsold pre-rev-ups get stung with the higher tax ;)

Thanks Colin, yes i've worked out now the car has to be 06 plate or earlier,the tax saving is'nt the be all and end all to me ... it's more of a my money and the Gov not getting it.

Would have to be a very early 2006 model to benefit from the cheaper tax as the rev-up versions first appeared in March and any unsold pre-rev-ups get stung with the higher tax ;)

Thanks Colin, yes i've worked out now the car has to be 06 plate or earlier,the tax saving is'nt the be all and end all to me ... it's more of a my money and the Gov not getting it.

An example here ;)

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/98247-black-06-350z-only-32k-3-owners-fnsh-v-original-rays-spare-oem-wheels-8000-ovno/

• Like 1

06's started on March 1st 2006 but higher tax rate started on the 23rd March 2006. Consequently, there will be a few 06's at the lower rate but keeping in mind there was a new model available on April 1st 2006 then something like 95% will be the higher rate.

Pete

Edited by JetSet
  • Like 1